A Tenant's View Of The World.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If she is not using gas but using supplemental electrical heating instead how is she out of pocket by £100?

If she is not using gas but using supplemental electrical heating instead how is she out of pocket by £100?

She's not.

I've deducted £50 because she's not getting what she's paid for and I want to keep her (there's a lot of sh*t tenants around).

Re Satch - you're correct about some people, however, with her it's the right thing to do - don't forget, she's been there for 5 years.

Firstly, while I do applaud the efforts you made, this is only one part, the outcome is equally important regardless of your more-than-fair approach.

And while you have done all you could, the fact remains that most of the house was cold and she was not able to use it freely during the cold evenings. So she does have a point.

Whether it merits compensation or not is another matter, I am not sure it does. My point is that doing your outmost to minimise the impact is very important, but it not enough by itself to judge the outcome simply based on that.

I do, however, disagree with the Asthma argument (as a long time ex-sufferer myself), if you have chronic illness you should make your own provisions for an emergency rather on relying on making it someone else's problem (of course if you suffer a sudden unexpected illness that's a different story).

Said that, you are neither relatives nor friends, and ultimately it is a business transaction. You do want to keep the relationship, and in your place I would reply that I disagree with the premise and that adequate measures have been in place etc etc, however as she is a long term tenant you propose a one-off good will payment (or reduction, rather) of £50 as full and final settlement.

Give her her notice , via her dad.

Get a new tenant.

If I wanted to keep the tenant then I would probably have offered £60 = £10 per day for 6 days = 10% reduction in monthly bill but certainly no more. The installation of a new boiler should help matters in the future and I would make a point of mentioning that in any reply to " Daddy"

This is the agreed outcome - I deducted £50 last time it went down (a couple of years ago).

It was cold last week and she was miserable, however, her dad's text is plain stupid.

Wtf it got to do with her dad? Or is she 12?

Our heat broke down and was off for 4 days at the beginning of December...but since we own the house we just had to grin and bear it.

Why should anyone have to be compensated...it's this "entitled" attitude which has this country where it is today. Morons.

I'll try to scoop up the last few replies in one go.

She's worth keeping, as, apart from the occasional hiccup, she's a good tenant and our relationship is fine.

Replacing her means a period of notice, a period of void, and a (potentially) worse tenant - why would I want to do that?

After her Dad's text, I replied to her, not him, as she's my tenant.
She justified his input by saying they were a very close family and always discussed everything.

She's about 40, not 12, but as a single female she may have been uncomfortable about a potential conflict and asked for his help - I have no problem with that and didn't "diss" her dad or his ridiculous suggestion in my reply.

Things are on a reasonable footing at the moment - will she stay - who knows?

What I can tell you is that in the 20 years I've been a professional landlord and with the hundreds I've tenants I've dealt with - there really is nowt as queer as folk :D.

If I were renting it would be nice to have LL like you John. As MJ said you have to have a backup plan for when things go wrong as a tennant, you are not her GodFather.....

Last edited:
What I can tell you is that in the 20 years I've been a professional landlord and with the hundreds I've tenants I've dealt with - there really is nowt as queer as folk :D.

You rent to people off this forum?

Understatement! I know someone who was letting their house - got a call from the Police, saying they had arrested his tenant, and the house needed securing.

Somewhat of an understatement - the tenant was a wanted baddie, suspected armed, and the police smashed their way in to arrest him. Needed new doors, some windows and internal doors, about £3k!

The tenant had had proper, good references...and was up to date with rent, and seemed a nice chap. You never can tell:eek:

There's something about this thread and this thread that are desperately similar and yet so very different....

John, go round to the house, 600psi punch the tenant and fling all their stuff and them onto the street. It will make you feel good. Run them over a few times in your car, and then give it a use and shove them in the boot.

Burn the remains in a wood burning stove.

It will make your customer go away and never come back bleting about the heating;)

Last edited:
Understatement! I know someone who was letting their house - got a call from the Police, saying they had arrested his tenant, and the house needed securing.

Somewhat of an understatement - the tenant was a wanted baddie, suspected armed, and the police smashed their way in to arrest him. Needed new doors, some windows and internal doors, about £3k!

The tenant had had proper, good references...and was up to date with rent, and seemed a nice chap. You never can tell:eek:

Ah, the stories I could tell...........

If I were renting it would be nice to have LL like you John. As MJ said you have to have a backup plan for when things go wrong as a tennant, you are not her GodFather.....

That's very kind of you, but it's in my interest to put a little effort in for the reasons mentioned earlier.

There's something about this thread and this thread that are desperately similar and yet so very different....

John, go round to the house, 600psi punch the tenant and fling all their stuff and them onto the street. It will make you feel good. Run them over a few times in your car, and then give it a use and shove them in the boot.

Burn the remains in a wood burning stove.

It will make your customer go away and never come back bleting about the heating;)

I've decided, after taking literally seconds to consider.............

You're a nutter...........

I'm with Howard on this one.
Good job done John, you sorted the problem in a very professional timely manor nothing you could do to fix it any quicker.
You don't have to get rid of the tenant. If they don't like it they will soon move on.
Don't get frightened into thinking there are only a few good tenants out there as its only the bad ones we hear about.

I'm with Howard on this one.
Good job done John, you sorted the problem in a very professional timely manor nothing you could do to fix it any quicker.
You don't have to get rid of the tenant. If they don't like it they will soon move on.
Don't get frightened into thinking there are only a few good tenants out there as its only the bad ones we hear about.

I said to her - you've got 4.6 seconds to get to the end of the path :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom