A Tenant's View Of The World.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it was so important to the tennant's Dad, then you'd think he'd call rather than text. Suggests to me that he knew that he was being a chances a best or a proper cheeky whatsit.

Since you have his mobile number, perhaps forwarding it to a few PPI claims firms might suit :D

Its cost John more than £50 pounds worth of his business time to debate this with us all ! ( unless he is arguing in his own time for all us Monty Python fans ..... )

I guess from the tenants side they perhaps didn't understand why it took 5 day to fix nor fully understood that you were trying you best chasing the part. All they know is they were left freezing for 5 days before you fixed it.

It's all gone a bit Daily Mail in this thread - tenants are perfectly well entitled to a temporary rent reduction if their is a problem with the property, such as no central heating.

It's called Rent Abatement and is covered under an AST.

I would suggest that £100 is nothing compared to what you could have forked out if it went to court.

Part and parcel of being a Landlord is having to deal with the issues, it's not the tennants fault.

Put it this way, if you rented a hire car and the heating dint work, wouldn't you be entitled to money off?

Perhaps the root-cause of the problem here is the rise of Market Forces in the 1980s and onwards.

A Landlord is a business and as we have to become conditioned by every other business we deal with these days, if you want to smallest "thing" there will be a charge. Usually seen as out of proportion to the actual cost of providing said "thing"

Therefore, when a business fails to deliver, the customer requires their charge to be paid for having to put up with the non arrival of the "thing".

There used to be more give and take and (much despised by marketeers?) "goodwill"

It's all gone a bit Daily Mail in this thread - tenants are perfectly well entitled to a temporary rent reduction if their is a problem with the property, such as no central heating.

Correct

I would suggest that £100 is nothing compared to what you could have forked out if it went to court.

In this case that's too black and white - a bit Daily Mail - we have a long standing relationship, as shown by the agreed outcome.

Part and parcel of being a Landlord is having to deal with the issues, it's not the tennants fault.
Correct, see post #1.

Put it this way, if you rented a hire car and the heating dint work, wouldn't you be entitled to money off?

It if 'went to court', the tenant would lose. The landlord has been diligent in repairing an amenity which can be reasonably expected to fail, and offering alternative heating at his expense. All within a reasonable timescale.

Rent abatement is more applicable for long term problems, infestations, structure or renovations.

Nobody would disagree with your points but I think the OP's point is that he bent over backwards at the first notification of the problem which has obviously been unappreciated. If he had took the call and went back to bed then got an engineer in a couple of days later the outcome and appreciation would have been exactly the same, a compensation claim.

Breakdowns like this are a fact of life however some tenants seem to think they are immune from them

I think that the OP did everything correctly and is obviously a good landlord - i was just making the point that being a landlord isnt just about collecting the rent.

With regards to the boiler issue i am working on a site at the monent which has a communal heating system - its a block of flats in Chelsea, many of which are on corporate lets.

We had to cut the heating for 2 days just after new year for repairs, and all of the rental tennants where compensated substantialy. We even rehoused a family with a young baby for the duration. This was under rent abatement and brokered by Knight Frank who where the managing agents.

I think that the OP did everything correctly and is obviously a good landlord - i was just making the point that being a landlord isnt just about collecting the rent.

With regards to the boiler issue i am working on a site at the monent which has a communal heating system - its a block of flats in Chelsea, many of which are on corporate lets.

We had to cut the heating for 2 days just after new year for repairs, and all of the rental tennants where compensated substantialy. We even rehoused a family with a young baby for the duration. This was under rent abatement and brokered by Knight Frank who where the managing agents.

Hence the title about a tenants view of the World. If your own boiler packed in would you expect Boiler manufacturer, Gas company, House insurance etc to pay for alternative accommodation.

Nobody would disagree with your points but I think the OP's point is that he bent over backwards at the first notification of the problem which has obviously been unappreciated. If he had took the call and went back to bed then got an engineer in a couple of days later the outcome and appreciation would have been exactly the same, a compensation claim.

Breakdowns like this are a fact of life however some tenants seem to think they are immune from them

To be fair HTD, I wasn't looking for appreciation - it's all part of the nature of the renting business - sometimes good, sometimes less good. There was always going to be a rebate - she was not getting what she paid for.

What really surprised me (perhaps I should have put it in bold in post #1) was the "£100 off for a fridge not working for a day" comparison he was using. I just thought it was unbelievable :crazy:.

The tenant did not fault D215 effort's.

He did his best to keep his client happy to the extent that he could, that much is not disputed.

From this point on, It's a simple business transaction, as he said himself. The only question really is whether the tenant is entitled to compensation, and if so, how much.

after being in the rental business for 20 years the tennant is not entitled to compensation if the landlord has done all that is possible to resolve the matter swiftly,but as a good will gesture a few flowers or a curry goes a long way.

after being in the rental business for 20 years the tennant is not entitled to compensation if the landlord has done all that is possible to resolve the matter swiftly,but as a good will gesture a few flowers or a curry goes a long way.

Yes but he he brings her flowers and asks her out to the local pub for a curry she might get the wrong idea... :D

I think I know what you mean...........I think........

ahh thats a bonus,been offered that several times once by a page 3 model who was down on her luck and was being evicted,was tempted but could have been an expensive 3 minutes if caught lol

ladies get flowers,guys get a curry young lads get cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom