A12 today, disappointed and embarassed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

car1tref

Car
C43 AMG Black
Travelling up A12 today and having fun with a 5 series trying to keep up and we run into the usual traffic jam in the 2 lane section before you get to Marks Tey turn off. Long line of lorries overtaking each other at 55 to 60 all the way up the hills, no problem there but the second car ahead of the F.Focus in front of me just sitting in the outside lane letting every lorry out!! Then we get past most of the lorries and the car in front of the Focus staying in outside lane at 65 to 70mph, leaving the inside lane unoccupied but I can see about a mile ahead that there are more lorries in the inner lane!
Anyway the Focus loses patience and as the road turns into three lanes the Focus undertakes the Mercedes ( as it turns out- a C class Kompressor in Silver/cream ) and leaves the Merc. in the outside lane, I close up on the Merc. and indicate that I want to overtake- I get ignored for approx. half a mile and I give him one flash of my lights- still ignored. The 5 series BMW closes up behind and undertakes us and puts his hand out of the window and makes an obscene gesture at us both- very embarassing, so I follow the BM and the merc stays in the outside lane holding everyone else up, I was so embarassed to be driving a merc as well, think I'll have to leave it at home and take the transit next time- what do you think- anyone we know on here!!!!

Probably the IAM member refferred to in another thread who reckons it is OK to sit in the overtaking lane as long as he is doing 70.

One of these times it will be an unmarked car behind and he'll get a little surprise .

Probably the IAM member refferred to in another thread who reckons it is OK to sit in the overtaking lane as long as he is doing 70.

One of these times it will be an unmarked car behind and he'll get a little surprise .
I guess that if this car is sat in the offside lane at 70mph , they might get told off, but surely undertaking is a big no, no??

If I was having 'fun' with another car then i don't suppose I would talk about it on a public forum too much :)

I guess that if this car is sat in the offside lane at 70mph , they might get told off, but surely undertaking is a big no, no??

If I was having 'fun' with another car then i don't suppose I would talk about it on a public forum too much :)
Was'nt totally fun- I was trying to get home! I suppose I could have stayed behind the Merc for the other 24 miles until I got home!! Maybe next time if I have all the time in the world I could follow them all the way home and maybe fix their rear view mirrors for them.
Undertaking - oh yes- against the law- sure but in my case I just pulled into the middle lane and travelled in that lane until the car in the outside lane was no longer visible in my mirrors, so unless it was still there when I pulled back out 2 miles later, I should think that technicaly you could class it as undertaking!!!:crazy:

Was'nt totally fun- I was trying to get home! I suppose I could have stayed behind the Merc for the other 24 miles until I got home!! Maybe next time if I have all the time in the world I could follow them all the way home and maybe fix their rear view mirrors for them.
Undertaking - oh yes- against the law- sure but in my case I just pulled into the middle lane and travelled in that lane until the car in the outside lane was no longer visible in my mirrors, so unless it was still there when I pulled back out 2 miles later, I should think that technicaly you could class it as undertaking!!!:crazy:
It sounds like you are still angry?

The law is quite clear on undertaking but I'm not sure about hoigging the offside lane at 70mph?

I do know that a 10mph speed difference\time difference for a 24 mile commute is negligble compared to the stress, anxiety or rage of 'having fun' or undertaking.

When we make posts then surely we can have civilised debates about what is posted or are we all supposed to nod in approval over what might be misunderstood as 'racing on a public highway'

No doubt our IAM members can tell us the laws on undertaking, or are you fully aware of them? :)

Depends when you are " undertaking" of course. If the overtaking lane ( commonly incorrectly called the fast lane ) is stopped but the other two lanes are not, is this undertaking. Equally if my lane is sitting happily and legally at 70, and we come upon a driver in the overtaking lane sitting at 65 should the lead car in the convoy slow down so as not to undertake the errant driver who has no right being there because she/he is not actually overtaking, or what?????

It sounds like you are still angry?

The law is quite clear on undertaking but I'm not sure about hoigging the offside lane at 70mph?

I do know that a 10mph speed difference\time difference for a 24 mile commute is negligble compared to the stress, anxiety or rage of 'having fun' or undertaking.

When we make posts then surely we can have civilised debates about what is posted or are we all supposed to nod in approval over what might be misunderstood as 'racing on a public highway'

No doubt our IAM members can tell us the laws on undertaking, or are you fully aware of them? :)
No I'm not angry at all really, more embarrassed as a driver of a C class that may be construed by the public as being the same!!!
Anyway - no, as my traffic enforcement friends say, they know that undertaking goes on but in some cases you have no choice. They also state that if spotted you will be cautioned if it was a safe pass and prosecuted for sure, if not safe....
But being an oldie and having nearly 25 years in my previous life in the Motorsport industries- I would def. not attempt any dodgy overtakes unless safe to do so.
My outlook is this:
Every journey I undertake is only a good journey if I arrive home in one piece and that I have not caused any accidents to get my journey done!!
33 years of driving on all types of roads all over the world and 18 years of motorcycling and no accidents yet!!
I always leave home assuming that today could be the day that I have my first road accident and so far it works!!!

i find that on the A12, sometimes its easier to carry on your journey in the nearest empty lane even if you pass someone going slow in an overtaking lane, if not you get blamed for tailgating ! ;) cant win either way!

In my book , lane hogging is worse than undertaking - because , without the former the latter would not happen .

i never see this anymore but used to every week

from 1991 to 2007 i had 2 season tickets to ****nal and so like clockwork on the way home from the game down the M11 where it starts as 2 lanes then goes to 3 there was always some silly bint in a 4x4 or a big estate car sitting 50mph in lane 2 oblivious to the world, chin 1" from the steering wheel, seat as far foward as it would go

morons, big, waive, flash, use semafore, morse code, iddiot boards, sky writing had no affect in getting their attention

i never see this anymore but used to every week

from 1991 to 2007 i had 2 season tickets to ****nal and so like clockwork on the way home from the game down the M11 where it starts as 2 lanes then goes to 3 there was always some silly bint in a 4x4 or a big estate car sitting 50mph in lane 2 oblivious to the world, chin 1" from the steering wheel, seat as far foward as it would go

morons, big, waive, flash, use semafore, morse code, iddiot boards, sky writing had no affect in getting their attention

That's your penance for being a Gooner!!!

In my book , lane hogging is worse than undertaking - because , without the former the latter would not happen .
I understand what you are saying and there is nothing worse than lane hoggers that tarvel at 50mph or so in the offside lane and clearly either deliberately obstructing the free flow of traffic, OR not driving with due care and attention or perhaps reasonable consideration for other road users.

However

If the speed limit is 70mph and the car in the outside lane is travelling at the national speed limit, then quite clearly we are being duped into agreeing with boy racers playing games and wanting to take laws into their own hands.

Two wrongs will never make two rights. The clown in the outside lane travelling at 70mph is quite clearing Mr Meldrew out to ensure no one breaks the law.

I accept that our author never broke any speed limits and he and the car he was 'having fun with' simply closed on this car that they admit was travelling at 70mph by magic.

I do not agree with lots of laws and if I break them, then I hold my hands up and say,

'In my opinion that law is an ass and I broke it'

Undertaking is illegal unless done is very spoecific circumstances, yes you might get a caution, but I gaurantee you never told your traffic friends that you were racing\having fun on a public highway?

I think your comments regarding your driving experiences ties in admirably with my old sergeants quotations.

Happy motoring, enjoy having more fun, but please be careful and drive safely :)

same situation but different environment:

Travelling up A12 today and having fun with a 5 series

Walking along the high street beside a man walking at the same pace.

Long line of lorries overtaking each other at 55 to 60 all the way up the hills,

A group of women pushing prams are blocking the way ahead.

no problem there but the second car ahead of the F.Focus in front of me just sitting in the outside lane letting every lorry out!!

I get held up by a slow walker also behind the prams.

Then we get past most of the lorries and the car in front of the Focus staying in outside lane at 65 to 70mph, leaving the inside lane unoccupied but I can see about a mile ahead that there are more lorries in the inner lane!

The slow walker then walks past the prams, but doesn't move to the side of the pavement to let me walk past.

Anyway the Focus loses patience and as the road turns into three lanes the Focus undertakes the Mercedes ( as it turns out- a C class Kompressor in Silver/cream ) and leaves the Merc. in the outside lane, I close up on the Merc. and indicate that I want to overtake

Another man pushes past the slow man. I'm still stuck behind him though.

I get ignored for approx. half a mile and I give him one flash of my lights- still ignored. The 5 series BMW closes up behind and undertakes us and puts his hand out of the window and makes an obscene gesture at us both- very embarassing,

I say exuse me, but he doesn't hear. A man walks past the slow man and insults him.

so I follow the BM and the merc stays in the outside lane holding everyone else up, I was so embarassed to be driving a merc as well, think I'll have to leave it at home and take the transit next time

I eventually walk past the slow man and get to where I am going.

It all just seems rather silly to me. These things happen almost every day, so don't be surprised or angered when they happen. Be proud in the fact that you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs.

If the car in the 'overtaking' lane was doing 70mph, you clearly broke the law by going faster:rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying and there is nothing worse than lane hoggers that tarvel at 50mph or so in the offside lane and clearly either deliberately obstructing the free flow of traffic, OR not driving with due care and attention or perhaps reasonable consideration for other road users.

However

If the speed limit is 70mph and the car in the outside lane is travelling at the national speed limit, then quite clearly we are being duped into agreeing with boy racers playing games and wanting to take laws into their own hands.

Two wrongs will never make two rights. The clown in the outside lane travelling at 70mph is quite clearing Mr Meldrew out to ensure no one breaks the law.

I accept that our author never broke any speed limits and he and the car he was 'having fun with' simply closed on this car that they admit was travelling at 70mph by magic.

I do not agree with lots of laws and if I break them, then I hold my hands up and say,

'In my opinion that law is an ass and I broke it'

Undertaking is illegal unless done is very spoecific circumstances, yes you might get a caution, but I gaurantee you never told your traffic friends that you were racing\having fun on a public highway?

I think your comments regarding your driving experiences ties in admirably with my old sergeants quotations.

Happy motoring, enjoy having more fun, but please be careful and drive safely :)

Two points here:
1. The Merc. was most of the time doing between 55 to 60 mph he seemed to have to do that to allow any lorry on the hill to pull out and try to overtake the other lorry in front! He did this continually.
2. My constabulary friends are well aware of my driving habits as I have spent a great deal of time with them on motorcycle tours and in each others cars.
3. Hogging the outside lane to try and force your speed limit on other members of the public is not your prerogative or job- that is a police officers job or at least The vehicle Inspectorate!!

same situation but different environment:

It all just seems rather silly to me. These things happen almost every day, so don't be surprised or angered when they happen. Be proud in the fact that you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs.
Thanks- I must admit apart from the embarassment, I did find it quite funny and that's why I put it on here!!

Two points here:
1. The Merc. was most of the time doing between 55 to 60 mph he seemed to have to do that to allow any lorry on the hill to pull out and try to overtake the other lorry in front! He did this continually.
2. My constabulary friends are well aware of my driving habits as I have spent a great deal of time with them on motorcycle tours and in each others cars.
3. Hogging the outside lane to try and force your speed limit on other members of the public is not your prerogative or job- that is a police officers job or at least The vehicle Inspectorate!!
There is no need to defend yourself, your first post was quite clear regarding speeds and i am sure your constabulary friends all condone your racing\having fun on the public highway.

I 100% agree that it is down to the police to enforce the laws of the land, but do we as responsible drivers need to have the police acting like school teachers and reprimanding us when we break these laws, or do we act responsibly?

The outside lane hogger was wrong, but as you quite clearly stated in your posts, they were travelling at the maximum legal speed limit and you were breaking the law.

I accept you do not like the replies and please accept I have been known to break the occassional law or three (or even four) but......

You can gloss over your post as much as you want, but the bottom line was you were competing against that BMW. We all know that a very, very basic Smart car is quite capable of keeping up with the legal speed limits of this land and a larger engined car will not shake off a good driver that is trained in the art of making progress as opposed to Barry Boy type racing.

I am not having a go at you personally, but i am afraid I do not condone anyone that has fun\races on our public highways, Track days are the place for this and long may we have them. I love fast driving, I love making progress on a public road, but if some idiot wants to have 'fun' with me, then I will let them go by, and have a few private thoughts about them and say out loud, "Well done, you win, I loose!" I will then get on with my life, turn up the radio a notch and enjoy the comforts of life and the thpughts of getting home safely to a loving family that I adore.

Keep raqcing on the tracks and keep safe driving on our public highways.

What would I have done??

There's a good question. what should we have done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom