Acrylic satin finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
I generally prefer to use oil based paints for decorating internal woodwork and have already decorated bare skirtings, etc with an oil based primer.
What is the panels thoughts on subsequent coats?
I would usually then apply 1 coat oil based undercoat followed by 1 coat oil based satinwood.
Should I be moving to a more modern system of acrylic undercoat and acrylic satin finish?

I generally prefer to use oil based paints for decorating internal woodwork and have already decorated bare skirtings, etc with an oil based primer.
What is the panels thoughts on subsequent coats?
I would usually then apply 1 coat oil based undercoat followed by 1 coat oil based satinwood.
Should I be moving to a more modern system of acrylic undercoat and acrylic satin finish?

Oil based gloss has never ceased to annoy me in the way the colour turns depending whether it is exposed to uv or not. I have just done an entire house in water based gloss in the hope it doesn't yellow. Initial finish is not quite as good as oil based but a few years down the line we we will see if yellows less.

Piff said:
I generally prefer to use oil based paints for decorating internal woodwork and have already decorated bare skirtings, etc with an oil based primer. What is the panels thoughts on subsequent coats? I would usually then apply 1 coat oil based undercoat followed by 1 coat oil based satinwood. Should I be moving to a more modern system of acrylic undercoat and acrylic satin finish?
Nowt wrong but a little ott.

I discovered the joys of a mini roller with water based paint when painting doors, gives a really good finish and has stayed white.
Still not overly convinced by the satin finish though

The problem with water based paints is they don't flow and level out like oil based paints. They means while they might work well with a fine roller getting a good finish with a brush is not so easy. You need a good quality synthetic brush. I've been meaning to try some of the high quality satin paint that the pro's use. Not DIY stuff like Dulux but something like Sikkens bl satura.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom