All you wanted to know about Comand APS NTG 2.5

Do you find this thread informative ??

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The cost will include the amount that indies need to charge for the investment they have made in STAR equipment so as to be able to do the job

Absolutely.
I won't ever say to someone else how much his work cost. What we do is to agree, or go for a different way.

I've spend some time yesterday researching around... I've found the most affordable MB diagnosis box seems to be the MB Star C3 device. You can order one from £160 +-
It comes with interfaces cables and a hard disk (optional) including 2019 DAS, WIS, EPC, ST, etc.

145_G_1547712513748.jpg

It is not my plan to buy one, but if I ask around and I get high prices... then plan b would be more interesting, and you get a Star box for yourself.

Talking about this, I can see Xentry needs a small patch file (mnTGW001.s) to access the NTG. I think the patch is just an XML file enabling some hidden menu.
I was unable to get the file so far.

This is not actually my first priority, I need to finish first my seat rails job, which I am replacing single to double rails, I need to try to repair small scratches as well, and at some point I will install the reversing camera. Just getting ready for that.

Cheers for help provided.
Martin.

Talking about this, I can see Xentry needs a small patch file (mnTGW001.s) to access the NTG. I think the patch is just an XML file enabling some hidden menu.
I was unable to get the file so far.
mnTGW001.s is around if you search

But I´ve did get a different file to use the Xentry Offline, and some details how to add a model to the list.
I made a pdf to make it easier.
Perhaps most of you already got it, but there is always beginners, as I am, looking for information.
File attached.

Attachments

• inbetrieb.zip
    122.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
One more doc I´ve just made.
A pdf with screenshots, step by step, to enable the reverse camera in NTG 2.5 using DAS Xentry.
Credits for Chris Souch, the author of the pics.

Attachments

• Reverse_Camera_Coding_NTG25.pdf
    998.1 KB · Views: 70
I can see for sell a number of devices you connect in the OBD2 port and it can re-program your NTG2.5 to activate video input, tv turner, carplay, etc.
So, thinking on that, if a simple device connected into the OBD2 is able to activate video input... then there is a way to do that from the OBD2 port.
I meant, you don´t need a full multiplexing box to just activate the video input.
I understand that a simple OBD2 interface to a computer with a specific software should be enough to do that job. Even a OBD2 to bluetooth interface should be enough as well, with the appropriated app.
Is something like that available?

If you can find one that can access the NTG2.5 in developer mode and activate the camera then let us know - have my doubts.

If you can find one that can access the NTG2.5 in developer mode and activate the camera then let us know - have my doubts.

For example, this one: Caraudio-Systems | OBD-N25-R-01
Video activation for rearview camera based on CAN-BUS
This interface allows for the activation of the rear view camera function with Mercedes vehicles with the COMAND NTG2.5 System, which in turn allows for the connection of a factory- fitted or aftermarket rear view camera.

81334.jpg

How much does it cost? Given that you'll only ever use it once... is it really cheaper than getting it done at an indie or a dealer? From memory they charge between £30 and £60 for STAR programming.

(Though I guess you could always flog it on eBay afterwards... unless it's VIN-locked).

It is quite expensive, over hundred quid. Not my plan.
Just answering to Larkone, who was asking.
And, yes, it is NTG coded.

Hi,

I have managed to get into engineering mode and finally change the SatNav’s units to km instead of miles. The problem I am having is that it does not remember this setting a reverts back to miles when the car is restarted. Am I missing a step/how do I save the settings to make the changes permanent?

TIA

Am I missing a step/how do I save the settings to make the changes permanent?
As far as I know, needs a code and programming, as everything.
Anything you need in this car... needs reprogramming.

Regarding a rear view camera, I have a 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 with Comand NTG2.5, and comand.co.uk offered to fit a reversing camera if I wanted one - not cheap, not factory original as they told me it was never a factory option, but as I have parktronic I declined.

Regarding a rear view camera, I have a 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 with Comand NTG2.5, and comand.co.uk offered to fit a reversing camera if I wanted one - not cheap, not factory original as they told me it was never a factory option, but as I have parktronic I declined.
Would a simple reversing cam like this work for you? There are others built in to the reversing light cover. It would then be a matter of coding the reversing camera using Xentry (probably in developer mode).

Waterproof Car Parking Reverse Camera IR Light Rear View Cam 4 LED Night Vision 7703636437938 | eBay

Possibly, but installing it then coding the NTG2.5 so it comes on when R selected - we had one installed on the S204 (no rear parking sensors), but I find I don't use it much, I'm old school, twist to look over my shoulder and also use wing and rear view mirrors!

Would a simple reversing cam like this work for you? There are others built in to the reversing light cover. It would then be a matter of coding the reversing camera using Xentry (probably in developer mode).

Waterproof Car Parking Reverse Camera IR Light Rear View Cam 4 LED Night Vision 7703636437938 | eBay

The difficulty with an SLK is running the cabling from the number plate area back into the car to the rear of the Comand. The cabling must take a precise route given the complexity of the hinge mechanism of the SLK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom