AMG Germany GTG - 22nd November – Final Details

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I'm excited too. Have been getting all sorts arranged in preparation:

Sat Nav
EU Number Plates
MB Spare Bulb Kit
Headlamp Masks
AA/Travel Insurance etc
Reading up on driving regulations in France and Germany

Going to be great! Will have to book the Euro Tunnel soon so I know I am all prepared.

I am kicking myself now too as I think you must be one of the few I did not introduce myself too at the Taplow GTG. NOT LIKE THAT YOU GUYS, just would have been nice now that we are all going on this trip together.

Heh G., looks like I know who's brains to pick if I have any queries ;) :p I thought the Euro Tunnel was going to be via a group booking though? and I take it EU plates aren't a necessity when driving in Europe?

I'm really looking forward to this trip too :D Hehe sounds like I'm as excited as you two are :) It'll be good to finally meet all you guys and also catch up with those who made the Birdlip GTG in Apr 02 after such a long time. :D It's gonna be a long drag til Nov 22. :rolleyes:

S.

Anyone managed to figure out what the weather conditions will be like?

More than one person has said, November in Germany will be snow!!

Hmm... you know of anywhere that does snow-chain rental?

S.

Yes, will be good to meet you Steve as we have never been at the same GTG.

Starting checking your car out in the Gallery to see what I can expect too - folding rear seats and headlamps washers - all good!

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
I take it EU plates aren't a necessity when driving in Europe?

No, but then you need to display a GB sticker.

No, but then you need to display a GB sticker.

Ahh I'm learning already :) I didn't realise that. How are temorary GB stickers attached these days? Don't wanna be messing the paintwork up :rolleyes:

Yup, I'll looking forward to seeing your car too G. especially checking out those Xenon's in action, as well as meeting you of course :cool:

I was also looking at Mercedes Lady's SLK too, very smart motor :D Like the colour ;)

Umm headlamp wash and folding rears were original equipment. The only bits and pieces I've fitted myself were the alloy pedals, blue & chrome SLK wheel centre caps, blue anodised valve caps and the ring silver enigma front indicator bulbs.

S.

Last edited:
How are temorary GB stickers attached these days? Don't wanna be messing the paintwork up :rolleyes:

U can get magnetic ones, so as not to muck your paintwork up . . but GB plates are better, of course ! Jimmy can sort some out for you :D

S.

Ahh I'm learning already :) I didn't realise that. How are temorary GB stickers attached these days? Don't wanna be messing the paintwork up :rolleyes:

Yes magnetic as Sym says, but I would want to make sure my car was spotless before applying a large magnetic sticker - any movement and it might scratch.

Do you not need one to be let out of Wales? :p :p

Originally posted by sym
U can get magnetic ones, so as not to muck your paintwork up . . but GB plates are better, of course ! Jimmy can sort some out for you :D

S.

Ahh thanks for the info Sym :) Hmm I'm in two minds now as I really like my current number plates. The letters are carbon fibre effect to match the rest of the sports trim. Both front and back. I got them made just before the GTG in Apr 02 before all the new restrictive laws came in about who can make number plates. I only paid about £12 quid for them. I'll have to pm Jimmy to see how much a set of EU ones would set me back.

S.

Do you not need one to be let out of Wales? :p :p

I usually escape back across the border under cover of darkness :p :p Remember I'm a Londoner that's been in Wales for the last 16 years :p Heh say what you like about the Welsh, it wouldn't bother me :devil:

S.

I usually escape back across the border under cover of darkness :p :p Remember I'm a Londoner that's been in Wales for the last 16 years :p Heh say what you like about the Welsh, it wouldn't bother me :devil:

S.

I was semi-serious. Sure I have seen the equivalent of GB stickers on cars with Dragons on!

I was semi-serious. Sure I have seen the equivalent of GB stickers on cars with Dragons on!

I was under the impression that if a number plate has the English, Scotish or Welsh flag on the side then technically that's illegal, only EU GB plates are acceptable, afaik. As for Welsh car's with GB stickers, is that probably to avoid them being called English? :p I dunno. :D

S.

I was under the impression that if a number plate has the English, Scotish or Welsh flag on the side then technically that's illegal, only EU GB plates are acceptable, afaik. As for Welsh car's with GB stickers, is that probably to avoid them being called English? :p I dunno. :D

S.

Yes by Law it's GB only. I think the few I have seen are probably Welsh people who really like to be known as Welsh not British.

Finally found a set of Sat Nav disks for Germany...........
That's me covered for the trip...... :D

Graham.... I've heard / seen you joined the "Sat Nav" club...

:bannana:

Originally posted by doriant
Finally found a set of Sat Nav disks for Germany...........
That's me covered for the trip...... :D

Graham.... I've heard / seen you joined the "Sat Nav" club...

:bannana:

Mate, I couldn't resist!

I have a Panasonic DVD based system that covers more or less the whole of europe seamlessly. Takes part post codes too.

Cant wait to give it a work out.

Re: Re: AMG Germany GTG - 22nd November – Final Details

With Steve (MBenzNL) about to confirm is there room for one more or is the tour fully booked?
I figured I would leave this one for the UKers themselves...since the available spots were very limitted and I have been at MB and AMG multiple times already...

greetingz,

Originally posted by mbzslk230k
You can buy extended ASSISTANCE Cover from AA (or RAC) - cost depends on number of days

Insurance company needs to be contacted re GREEN Card - some charge for it, some dont ...

I just checked the AA website and for 4 days European cover it's approx £38. So I'll get this a little closer to the time.

I've just phoned my insurance company and they've stated that as part of my cover I get 90 days European cover included as part of my insurance. So do I still need this 'GREEN Card' or should I just carry my existing Certificate of Motor Insurance?

D@mn I should've asked them about this whilst on the phone to them, I did tell them that I would be visiting Germany, via France, over 4 days, the girl just said "Don't worry you're covered". No mention of a Green Card. Any thoughts before I join the telephone queue from hell for a 2nd time? :p Hehe. Thanks! :D

S.

This Road Angel owners club, doh I mean AMG visit, trip is going to be good.

We'll all be covered until Folkestone!

This Road Angel owners club, doh I mean AMG visit, trip is going to be good.

We'll all be covered until Folkestone!

...then we'll have to hide them to avoid being "done" by the french / german authorities !! (ok in benelux, I think!)

S.

Originally posted by sym
...then we'll have to hide them to avoid being "done" by the french / german authorities !! (ok in benelux, I think!)

S.

Well - in France they are rumoured to confiscate anything resembling a radar detector, so I shall be removing mine.

Although the laser alert of use in Germany - I think as they have unrestricted Autobahns it's only respectfull to not take the P where they do have limits, so not so worried.

Originally posted by Maff
We'll only be in France for about 60miles, so not too much to worry about!

Never underestimate the French ;)

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom