Anyone else got W211 E class auto gearbox problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a E270 cdi 2003 with ongoing gearbox problems. I had a 2k bill to replace the Torque Converter, now just 3 months later having a vibration coming from the gearbox, is seems to be Intermittent. Just can't put my finger on it but something not right. Gear changes seem too soon when cold, then settles down. My head is in my hands as have a high trim model with 20k of extra's and I feel there's too much to go wrong. I got an engine amber light come up but went away, now a brake services light. I wont get through the winter so am trading the car and getting a Honda CR-V, I really need a car I can depend on again. Have spent over 3k on repairs since bought the car 6 months ago. I miss the over enginering days of W210. I'll just have to cut my loses now. Lets face it, the W211 is a lemon.

Did you get the radiator replaced too? If not, you just end up with the very same problem!

I'm not sure, will have to find out. I know they did a glycol check for which they said had passed the test. Then they changed the TQ and fluid along with the airmatic sensor for which cost me around 2k from the main dealers in Herts. I'm not sure what to do; it can be fine for days.. which gives me enough time to trade it in. I bought the car for 10k 6 months ago, spent around 3k on repairs so far and now have a few other issues. Service C is due in 2256 miles, the peddle break sometimes sticks, have to leaver it up with my foot. Just yesterday a break service fault has appeared and got an Engineer amber light appear but went away this morning. I always get something when it's a cold morning.

Do you mean the main radiator, or is there one for the auto box?

I don't know whether to soldier on or cut my loses now. What scares the bejesus out of me is if that gearbox fails, could be a huge bill and find Herts MB unhelpful.

After I had the TQ done, I'm sure they left the clip out of the selector. We were driving to Gatwich, stopped for a coffee and could not get in gear, I struggled to find out the problem, then notice the pin was missing, manually pulled it back in gear hurting my hand got to the airport long stay while getting my girlfriend to remind me every 5 mins to not put it in neutral. When I came back from holiday I took it to MB and they said it wasn't them, but surely they would've had to remove the gearbox to change the TQ.

Do you mean the main radiator, or is there one for the auto box?

Main radiator as the cooler for the ATF is part of it and this is what causes the problems. The radiator corrodes internally and the coolant slowly seeps into the ATF which eventually knackers your torque converter.

I'm not sure, will have to find out. I know they did a glycol check for which they said had passed the test. Then they changed the TQ and fluid along with the airmatic sensor for which cost me around 2k from the main dealers in Herts. I'm not sure what to do; it can be fine for days.. which gives me enough time to trade it in. I bought the car for 10k 6 months ago, spent around 3k on repairs so far and now have a few other issues. Service C is due in 2256 miles, the peddle break sometimes sticks, have to leaver it up with my foot. Just yesterday a break service fault has appeared and got an Engineer amber light appear but went away this morning. I always get something when it's a cold morning.

Do you mean the foot-operated parking brake? Does it still 'ratchet' when applied? Or does it not 'spring' back into place when you pull the release? That sounds like a simple case of the plastic ratchet/clip having broken. Not expensive and relatively quick to fix even for a DIY'er.

Unfortunately, the earlier 211's do have their troubles, mine included although being a mechanic I have managed to sort a few bits at minimal cost. Also, having a very good Indie to utilise also helps. If it wasn't for Olly @ PCS in Horndean, the car would have cost me an awful lot more!

Only last week I had a new torque converter fitted. I first had a glycol test at the dealers and was told that it was clear. They even showed me a strip of material that would have been pinkish if there was a fault with the radiator. Up to now, fingers crossed, everything seems to be in order. The cost was just over 2K. The car is 2003 and has 16k kms on the clock. The radiator is one of the (in)famous Valeo. Apart from this the car is a joy to drive and turns many heads.

Only last week I had a new torque converter fitted. I first had a glycol test at the dealers and was told that it was clear. They even showed me a strip of material that would have been pinkish if there was a fault with the radiator. Up to now, fingers crossed, everything seems to be in order. The cost was just over 2K. The car is 2003 and has 16k kms on the clock. The radiator is one of the (in)famous Valeo. Apart from this the car is a joy to drive and turns many heads.

With 16k on the clock, it damn well should be a good drive!

I'm not sure, will have to find out. I know they did a glycol check for which they said had passed the test. Then they changed the TQ and fluid along with the airmatic sensor for which cost me around 2k from the main dealers in Herts.

By "passed" the test did they mean it had no glycol or it was below the threshold where they replace everything?

Assuming most the bill was for the TQ then you could have had a full gearbox rebuild, torque convertor and new radiator for under £2k at an independent.

aloha all...

just had my E280 CDI back.

MB diagnosed it as a faulty turbo charger, and have changed it under warranty.

so, fingers crossed!!

I have a 320 v6 with exactly the same problem except i'm at 107k miles and no warranty. Does this mean my turbo is likley to go bang at any given moment? i also have the same problem with "turbo lag" (as per your later post) but during the week i do pootle round town.

What sort of cost am i looking at? Are recon turbo's readily available or reliable?

I know I have had 2 fault codes re: back pressure. Garage reset to see if it happened again and advised could be turbo or cat converters.

When it happens it feels like it is going to jerk itself to bits!

automatic box problem wit MBenz E240 Elegance

I have excactly the same problem with my e class, whole car shakes when i am accelerating and it changes shifts at wrong time, does someoe know how i can fix this?, my email i s [email protected]

Seems like there are many faults with the new E class!!! :eek:
I have a high miler (90K miles) W211 E270 CDI with tiptronic box which is playing up. Its vibrates when accelerating from 30 mph, it jerks badly when pulling away especially when going up steep hills and seems to be changing gear at wrong time and too frequently .
Dealer said they reset the parameters :confused: which didn't seem work.
I have since heard several police and chauffeur cars with similar problems having new boxes fitted, presumably all high mileage users. It seems the dealer is fobbing me off ,probably because there is a problem with availablity of boxes. Anyway at 6 grand a piece they are not going to be keen are they!
I pity all those owners of these cars 3 years down the road when the warranty runs out! What happened to Mercedes quality build:crazy: I think it will be bye bye Mercedes for me and a trip to Audi or VW. (have you seen the VW Pheaton- great value + quality)
i have excactly the same problems like you, my MBenz E240 Elegance(Sedan) shakes when i im accelerating and it changes the shifts at the wrong time, and there is no force int the engine When I step on the accelerator, no one knows what ti should do to fix this, even mercedes benz does not know:S, have you find the problem in your?

i have excactly the same problems like you, my MBenz E240 Elegance(Sedan) shakes when i im accelerating and it changes the shifts at the wrong time, and there is no force int the engine When I step on the accelerator, no one knows what ti should do to fix this, even mercedes benz does not know:S, have you find the problem in your?
my email adress is [email protected]

It could be a torque converter problem.

With regards to a marque change - this is my first Merc after years of Audi ownership and I Love it!!!

Gearbox could be smoother but I'm at 80K now and touch wood all good.....

Do they build Friday afternoon cars.....that could be your problem???

I've had an Audi A6 that was a long stream of AA visits...

I own a 2003 E320 cdi which has recently had a problem with the gearbox mileage being 97k. The symptoms were the car was ok whilst cold however the gears changed at higher revs than normal which I initially thought maybe because it's cold. After a few miles the car would change gears at lower revs but whilst at a steady speed of 30mph and trying to accelerate I would have the cattle grid effect as described in previous posts. Also when driving up an incline the same cattle grid effect. Took it to an indie who stated it was likely to be the T/C. Checked the rad and it was a BEHR so didn't think it could be a Valeo.
I managed to find a company called theconvertorshop.eu where Shane at an incredible price completely rebuilt the T/C while I waited. Following this it was refitted at my indie and along with a complete transmission flush and new oil and g/box filter (gasket too) the problem appears to now been resolved. Almost like a completely different car the changes are smoother and the car revs much lower, gave it a treat to an engine service too so I hope many more miles of happy motoring to be had.

Hi,
Are 320cdi,280cdi and 220cdi engines using same
gearboxes in the facelift model >2006?
Regards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom