Are Merc Head Units Any Good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

n3thn

Are the standard fit MB radio/cd players any good, my C240 only has a crap old Pioneer tape deck in it and was unsure whether to go with a OE MB cd/radio head unit or go for a Alpine/Clarion etc .
Anyone got any thoughts on this.

Also why do the rear speakers face downwards ??

Thanks Jon

Originally posted by n3thn
Are the standard fit MB radio/cd players any good, my C240 only has a crap old Pioneer tape deck in it and was unsure whether to go with a OE MB cd/radio head unit or go for a Alpine/Clarion etc .
Anyone got any thoughts on this.

Also why do the rear speakers face downwards ??
MB don't actually make any headunits, they just get someone else to make them, usually Becker or Blaupunkt (Bosch). I can't comment on any of the heaunits except for Comand, which is an amazing piece of equipment. As for the rear speakers, I don't know, I can't remember which way up mine are, although mine are bose :bannana: .

On a similar line, my E Class appears to be missing two speakers - on the top of the dash, one each side next to the A pillar. There is a grille there but it would seem that there's no speakers underneath them.

So...

a) Can you put speakers in them?
b) Is the wiring loom there for them?
c) Are the grilles easy to remove (guessing its the old "pull like hell" ploy)
d) What size speakers fit, and has anyone done it before?

e) Sorry for so many questions!

MB radios are superb

Some of the older headunits such as special and exquisit are made by alpine and becker and you can tell by the model number starting with either AL or BE.

The new Audio 10 and Audio 30 units are made by becker. The command unit is made by blaupunkt.

The rear speakers facing downwards are freeflow subs that use the boot as a sub and are superb if you set them up correctly:D :D

Ive got an alpine special unit for sale just now , someone is interested in it , so , it might be sold , but , would you like me to get back in touch with you if the sale does not go through?:cool:

What model is the Alpine unit as I would be interested, how much are you asking for it ?

Thanks
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom