ATF topup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No the end part is not difficult, however, the distance into the filler tube is still an uncertainty considering the stick does not bottom out on the sump. Hence my double check.

However.......if you make the stick as per pattern then it doesn't matter that it's waving about 2 or 3ft in the air. The sloping shoulders is what determines the depth into the oil and nothing else.

No the end part is not difficult, however, the distance into the filler tube is still an uncertainty considering the stick does not bottom out on the sump. Hence my double check.

This is what the widening of the stick (shown at 72mm from the tip in Druk's diagram) does for you.

The wide bit on the stick gets stuck at the point that the dipstick tube narrows - that is what holds the stick at the right height from the sump and allows you to set the level correctly using the marks that you add to your stick at the right distance from the widened part.

..."shoulder" begins at 69mm from the end and flares out at 45 degrees to become 7mm across at 70mm from the end...

However.......if you make the stick as per pattern then it doesn't matter that it's waving about 2 or 3ft in the air. The sloping shoulders is what determines the depth into the oil and nothing else.

The 7mm "shoulder" width should be adequate to stop the stick from further travel, considering these are factory measures? If not, then you get a false reading.

Will go with design measures w124coupe & Druk have provided, and also measure the insert each time. That way I am sure!!!

UPDATE:

Just read w124coupe post #42, came up while I was editing my this post.

Yep, its all clear now. Will go with as said earlier as soon as I have a bit of time on hand and post results.

Last edited:
The 7mm "shoulder" width should be adequate to stop the stick from further travel, considering these are factory measures? If not, then you get a false reading.

Will go with design measures w124coupe & Druk have provided, and also measure the insert each time. That way I am sure!!!

UPDATE:

Just read w124coupe post #42, came up while I was editing my this post.

Yep, its all clear now. Will go with as said earlier as soon as I have a bit of time on hand and post results.

Recall the Oxford is still on sale in India after 50 years.

How about you make it cheaply in India and each of us buy one from you.:D

Recall the Oxford is still on sale in India after 50 years.

How about you make it cheaply in India and each of us buy one from you.:D

Unfortunately, manufacture in India is not as economical as it used to be. A neighbouring country has staked its claim to that.

Forget the Oxford, one can still find 50s & 60s Rolls here, and in running condition (quite a head turner too), which speaks a lot for the quality of manufacture and the passion for maintainence :). Ofcourse, not to forget the practically timeless design of the Oxford, atleast here in India! We also still have the 50s Fiat (badged as Premier Padmini) in production. Honestly, Indian roads see quite a range, from the in production Fiat (Premier Padmini) to Maybach and Ferrari and on the other hand 40s & 50s Rolls etc. Where else...!!! :D

...wait until 7G boxes become more commonplace. No dipstick tube, oil has to be filled through the drain hole...

I just realised I have one of those 7 shift boxes in an SUV of mine. Its exactly the same as checking / filling the differential oil. Pretty easy once its raised, but you do need a super clean filler pump!!!

Last edited:
please could you tell me where the dip stick is located found engine dip stick found power steering dip stick but cant find atf dip stick most likely Im a dip stick

there is no dip stick on the car to check the atf it either has to be checked by a garage or you have to go to mb and by a dipstick and off the top of my head i think they are about £30-40

if I bought a dip stick where on the car would it be located

please could you tell me where the dip stick is located found engine dip stick found power steering dip stick but cant find atf dip stick most likely Im a dip stick

On my car C270 CDI the ATF dipstick tube is located and the rear left of the engine.. The rear left corner as it were..

Last edited:
druk
keep reading about dip sticks for atf but cant locate mine on e320 I just want to make sure there is plenty in or needs topping up or like a lot on here need a complete change Im new on here and new to mercedes please help sorry for picking you out but you do talk sence NEV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom