Auto Box Dipstick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Grainger

Car
SL55, Porsche 996 C2 convertible
Does anyone know the MB part number for a dipstick for a late 1999 tiptronic auto gearbox? My stealer isn't being very helpful.
I have read on other theads in this section that these can be purchased from MB. I want to check my oil level, and am contemplating changing it. My car has done nearly 50K miles, as an engineer I don't support MB's opinion that it 'is sealed for life and does not require changing'.

Thanks

Paul

the dipstick is there but it has a tamperproof seal afaik you need to break seal and pull out the plug, it should have a dipstick attatched.

I know this is how it is on the W202's

I tried breaking the seal.....no dipstick.

Thanks anyway....

Paul

Hi Paul, I can't aswer your question specifically but when I last took my CLK (with the same gearbox as yours) to George Fraser for a service, he said the oil in the 'sealed' tiptronic gearbox should be changed every 3 years.

I come from a mechanical engoineering background and simply don't believe oil (even the newer synthetic types) can last a 'lifetime'.

part number for autobox dipstic is 140 15 21
regards Glynn.

Thanks for you help. Will try stealer tomorrow with this part no.

Paul

Originally posted by zerocool
part number for autobox dipstic is 140 15 21
regards Glynn.
you're missing a couple of digits off that I'm sure.

you could be right,these are numbers on the actual tool,but there may be some in front to indicate it is a special tool??
apologies if it is not complete

Wonder what I end up with now I have asked a main dealer to change the box fluid. Probably a knackered box and no dipstick.

Last edited:
The part number is W140589152100 Measuring stick.

It is way too long and is a service part only. It cannot be left in the box while driving. Push in all the way till it stops for measuring.

Thanks for that.

Will try stealer tomorrow

Paul G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom