Auto Trader, ebay or Similar. Change Your Name!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Boils my pi55 this kind of thing.

You can bet if the situation was reversed and the third party denied being involved - jack sht would happen...

Sorry to hear about this my old pal, a lot of these scams have been imported from elsewhere and you'd think the insurance companies would be up to speed but, ultimately, they're more concerned with playing the edges hence this shit.

I wonder what the insurance ombudsman would make of this situation.

It is to stop speed cameras and other ANPR generating tickets
No. Small time crook spots mediocre car that is probably being written off, steals same model and colour the same day , add the number from the smashed one he saw on the trailer (remember the days when you could get number plates made pretty much anywhere there and then ?) ..still can if you know the wrong people.

Slaps plate on now 'cloned' car , fills up with fuel and drives away without paying, uses the car for acting out 'petty crime' for a few days then sets it on fire for a laugh.

No. Small time crook spots mediocre car that is probably being written off, steals same model and colour the same day , add the number from the smashed one he saw on the trailer (remember the days when you could get number plates made pretty much anywhere there and then ?) ..still can if you know the wrong people.
No, you're wrong; it is exactly as Pontoneer said - it's to stop spurious ANPR pings for no tax/insurance etc

Car thieves, on the whole, tend to be a bit more professional than waiting at the side of the road waiting for a low-loader to drive by with written-off cars on so they can go and rob the same car (that now has an insurance marker on it!)

No, you're wrong; it is exactly as Pontoneer said - it's to stop spurious ANPR pings for no tax/insurance etc

Car thieves, on the whole, tend to be a bit more professional than waiting at the side of the road waiting for a low-loader to drive by with written-off cars on so they can go and rob the same car (that now has an insurance marker on it!)
I did not say car thieves. I said 'small time crooks'. These people are not interested in the car, they are only interested in a bit of free anonymous transport for a short while.

Black tape on number pates of wrecked cars has been around a long time ANPR has too (1970's) but did not really spread until late 1990's, early 2000's.

I did not say car thieves. I said 'small time crooks'. These people are not interested in the car, they are only interested in a bit of free anonymous transport for a short while.

Black tape on number pates of wrecked cars has been around a long time ANPR has too (1970's) but did not really spread until late 1990's, early 2000's.
"Small time crooks" go out and buy £250 bangers and drive them without tax or insurance until they either breakdown or they get a tug off the police.

What they don't do is see a low-loader full of wrecked cars pass by, pull out their little notebook jotter and think to theirselves "I know what I'll do, I'll go and rob that exact car and stick that plate on it" - it's far too much like hard work; crooks by their very nature are lazy and that is far too much like hard work for them...

"Small time crooks" go out and buy £250 bangers and drive them without tax or insurance until they either breakdown or they get a tug off the police.

What they don't do is see a low-loader full of wrecked cars pass by, pull out their little notebook jotter and think to theirselves "I know what I'll do, I'll go and rob that exact car and stick that plate on it" - it's far too much like hard work; crooks by their very nature are lazy and that is far too much like hard work for them...
Not all of them..

I always thought these types of criminals wanted to clone a car that was on the the road, taxed insured etc. so it would not pop up on any police camera checks. Simply picking a plate from down south and running around in a car up north as an example.

The ones on transporters may not have all the legal requirements to be on the road!

Well, well, well...

Our commercail fleet policy renewed without any apparent increase earlier this year.

However, young Ringway, Les, bought this CLS at the weekend and there has been an increased premium for him (with me as a named driver) to insure the car and the insurer stated that the fraudulent claim hiked the cost.

Our fleet insurers have said they don't class it as a claim and were right behind us safe in the knowledge that the incident never happened and said the 'claim' which was never registered on their insurance database would disappear after around 6 months.
Clearly not the case, at least for insuring on a private car policy and I am currently trying to get the claim removed from the CUE database.

We are careful, responsible drivers, have some fast and valuable cars on the fleet without having a claim or a speeding ticket and to be inconvenienced and our records besmirched by this carry on is infuriating!

Remember, when advertising a car, if someone calls you, asks your name and then the address to view the car, they have ALL they need to start a claim.

They know your name, phone number and address, all of which they can say you gave to them after an incident!

Change your name and sort that out if they buy the car.

Last edited:
It is absolutely outrageous to affect you - i had to work very hard to avoid my 18 year old son getting an accident report when someone pulled out directly into his lane and front ended him. He was following me so I saw the whole thing in my rear view mirror and was lucky not to be seriously injured. Thankfully the errant driver basically admitted it and we had two other witnesses, one of whom had some dash cam footage and was a retired copper. Without all that he could have had extortionate insurance for years (and we still had to wait over two months for the payout.

I then received god knows how many "I hear you have been involved in an accident" calls including one who initially stated that she was phoning on behalf of some insurance industry body and basically called me an idiot for not claiming free money from the "insurance fat cats" because we had not put in a whiplash claim. I pointed out that we had not claimed because thankfully he had no injuries (thanks to VW Golfs and airbags) and that all car drivers pay for elevated claims and it is clearly fraudulent and she eventually hung up on me!!! Scumbags.

Hope you get it cleared from the records.

Nothing but scams these days. Good point about a tracker though, especially if its one that is monitored, as you can ask for the location of the accident, and then bring in the tracking company to prove your car wasnt there.
isnt it the job of the insurance company to do everything they can not to pay out?

The line i like to use when these company’s call goes something like this- “according to out records sir you have had an accident in the last 6 months” i say “yes i have” they normally get a bit excited now and ask about the accident, which i say “yea i got my girlfriend pregnant” then the line usually goes dead! :D :D :D

Haha. Reminds me of the time I had a call about double glazing and conservatories. I decided to get the most expensive conservatory and all the top of the range options. When it came to payment, I remarked that it was cheap, then asked how they would fit it to the 15th floor of a block of flats. I killed the woman’s day. That’ll teach em😂

Person (scammer) puts a claim into his insurance.
That insurance identifies your insurance (coincidentally same Co).
They then pass the info to a 3rd party, is the 3rd party entitled to the info under data protection?

I guess with insurance and their large and capable legal dept to challenge would be a no win outcome either way.

The line i like to use when these company’s call goes something like this- “according to out records sir you have had an accident in the last 6 months” i say “yes i have” they normally get a bit excited now and ask about the accident, which i say “yea i got my girlfriend pregnant” then the line usually goes dead! :D :D :D
I usually say that it was my fault, “ I didn’t see the Giraffe ( or what ever creature pops into my head) until I hit it, it just appeared !! or tell them “the only other person on the scene died, how did they find me ??”. staves off boredom atm.

A friend of mine transporting a car on a trailer which he'd just bought didn't have tax or MOT got a letter though the door after being picked up on a ANPR camera. He hadn't covered the number plate.

isnt it the job of the insurance company to do everything they can not to pay out?

As in the earlier article, sometimes it is actually cheaper for the insurance company to pay out instead of fighting a case.
If £2,500 for whiplash is cheaper than fighting, they will sometimes look after themselves and cough up, leaving a mark on the record of the innocent premium payer.

Does this all make having dashcam footage a get out of jail free option ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom