• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

BAS and ESP Warning Light.

Hawkwind

Car
CLK 320
Hi Guys.

Three times in as many weeks the BAS and ESP warning has come on after starting the car ( 2000 CLK320 W208), everything seems normal and operates correctly.

This happened last on Saturday, when I had the opportunity to see if the cruise control worked normally, which it did.

From reading on here, it would seem to indicate that I have a faulty brake light switch.

What do the wise ones think, is this the most likely problem?

If so, can you tell me where this switch is located and if there is a specific one I need for my model/year.

Many thanks in advance for any help in locating the switch, both in my car and a suitable replacement :thumb:

It wouldn't hurt to replace the Brake switch if it hasn't been done before to your knowledge or from your records as it's a cheap part and most go at some point. If that doesn't solve it get in plugged in before anything else.
Drop the panel under the drivers side dash.

It is operated by the brake pedal , when you push the pedal , it pushes the switch , it is easy to see once you are in the footwell.

Removal takes 2 secs ( 1/4 turn and out it comes , undo connector ) , refitting takes 5 :)

Another possible culprit is weak battery - for safety reasons, EPS/ABS/BAS disbale themselves if the voltage is below optimal. It is possible that your battery is on its way out and that it is weak first thing in the morning after cranking the engine, and having slightly discharged overnight. A battery load test at a car electrician will confirm this.

Thanks for the suggestion Markjay.

The dealer I bought it from said the battery was new and she certainly turns over good and strong even in the coldest weather we've had.

Definitely something to bear in mind if the switch doesn't cure the problem.

Would this be the correct switch for my car?

Vemo Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Take your vin to the dealership.

There are a few different variations. They are about £15 , so no point in going aftermarket with these.

Sorry guys also, to be clear, I'm assuming this switch is operated by the main brake, not the foot operated parking brake?

Get it plugged in too. It maybe something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom