Beading rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am still not convinced:D

Mine is still beading and i do nothing to it.......kept in the open all the time.

Who washes it?

Haha so it never gets a wash?

Only reason I ask is that a lot of hand car washes use drying aid type products that do produce some beading.

It will never go to a hand wash!!

I use a decent car wash that i keep an eye on that do there maintenance.

The only thing i touch is the bottom door rubbers to keep them clean underneath where they shut on the bodywork.

I know each to there own and i have been there for over 50 yrs of motoring keeping my cars clean and i learnt at an early age that it does not affect the trade in price...lol

Another pic.....

Attachments

• 20160929_094031.jpg
    20160929_094031.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 87
I would argue that there is no evidence of beading whatsoever on that paint surface. What you are seeing is water reacting to an untreated clearcoat, albeit a very clean surface. The irregular shape of the water droplets indicates a lack of hydrophobicity. A treated surface would cause the surface tension of the water droplet to produce more uniformly round droplets because a circle is the shape with the least surface area. Different treatments produce different results whether they be waxes, sealants or the newer bonded nanocoatings. The size of the water droplet can vary from large to fine or in the case of a product with high sheeting qualities, hardly any droplets at all.

Agreed, that's not beading! The water is just sitting on a clean, untreated surface.

This picture shows water beading off the door of my other half's old Focus. It was completely untreated other than being sprayed with Gyeon Wetcoat and rinsed...

Wetcoat3%201_zpssxkyzcbu.jpg

Focus%20Bead_zpsik0aurb3.jpg

Well it does confirm to me what you detailers are about and what you know...lol

In my 2nd picture half the rear door by the handle was polished properly, with an expensive polish to try and prove to myself if it was worth bothering with:p, and the nearest half was the car wash polish, the larger beading.

There is beading and polish as on a vertical surface the rain will just run off like the Focus if not polished.

So some has been polished and you say it hasn`t ....i rest my case:D

Polishing a car is different to sealing/waxing a car!

Polishing is designed to create a shine you then protect. It is the protection that creates a hydrophobic surface and forces water to bead.

May I suggest you wax the car and then come back to tell us if the paintwork still retains water in exactly the same way it currently does.

Also, don't be under the impression anything has to be expensive. I would say one of my combinations of polish/wax is about £30 combined.

Last edited:
My frozen car this morning

And the wife's car was going fit some wind deflectors but had to leave it till later

Cheers Ben :thumb:

Lizzie Beading!

After her Polish and Wax, it had to rain...just so I could post to this thread....

Attachments

• Beading.jpg
    Beading.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 46
Spotted some beading when I got home so thought I'd take a couple of pics.

This is a fresh layer of Gyeon Wetcoat on top of a layer of sealant and two coats of wax.

8E211C9F-9728-4CE2-838B-EA885EDBCF2F_zpseaqtrxqe.jpg

BC23D8E9-0F63-4D99-A2EA-C0A19B43429C_zpstjqkgqbz.jpg

My neighbours must think I'm a mentalist!! haha.

But I think beading just looks cool. This was last night when I came in from work. Good to see that after 500 miles and two weeks the Wetcoat is still doing it's thing.

4D33EFB5-EDD8-4F1A-86E1-24B92A20BDC7_zpsuhaxjmml.jpg

585C29AB-5084-42E3-B6F4-285B5F762BCA_zpsinserz7z.jpg

My E350 cabriolet! Funny how the beads show the black colour whilst the rest just looks like a mirror!

V satisfying...

34e7a95b192647bf95050b4f55816cca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine this morning after wash two days ago follow by one coat of C2V3.

image-1150234889.jpg

Beading Easter :p off to Wales for the weekend, hoping for brighter days folks.

Going take my washing tackle with me and redo a coat if Sonax BSD
What ever you all up to have a good weekend and happy easter.
Cheers Ben :thumb:

IMG_3186.png

Sonax Applied 2-3 washes ago...

Brilliant stuff and long lasting

Reapplied yesterday after giving car a good wash.

Washed the car with some polish/wax yesterday, so of course it rained a bit on it already. Much better that it had some wax than if it hadn't :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom