Bloody snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
255 40 at bank and 225 45 both 17s at front. It's Falken winter tyres. Middle of road. I notice most here are running premium brands?

Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes are all you need, no other tyre comes close! :thumb:

Russ

Been driving the C43 round london all day on Pilot Sports no problem - problem in the UK is that people have no idea how to drive in adverse conditions. I got back from British Columbia on Wednesday, having spent a week driving in proper snow storms and - 28 temps, and no one bats an eye lid. I worked as a taxi driver in the fench alps for 2 years, and with the proper tyres you can drive pretty much like normal, as long as you understand to anticipate breaking and that accelerating hard is stupid. You could even drive well enough on normal tyres if you were sensible.

^ Same as here in Russia. NO fuss made over snow. Just get the correct tyres on (M+S in my case) and go about your normal business. But then again it also comes down to experience. Russians put up with this for three or four months year in year out. Everyone (well most..) know how to drive in these conditions.

Problem in areas of high traffic density is you are only as likely to get to your destination as the inadequately prepared drivers in front of you. :doh: In many cases the secret to driving on snow is to maintain steady [ not too fast not too slow] progress- where momentum rather than traction alone will help get over many "sticky patches" =deeper snow or inclines. If someone stops in front of you then you're screwed.:(

The almost empty office was well and truly empty by 1230 but I sat tight and resisted the pressure applied by incoming calls from Mrs D and colleagues getting stuck.

Me and Security Dave braved it out. I left at usual (Friday) time and it took the AMG time as usual as the roads were empty and I had winter tyres. :thumb:

If the C-class stays with me another year then she'll have new Winters in the Autumn.

Just been watching the news there even putting a news special on tonight about the "heavy" snowfall. FFS it's winter what do people expect?

If you have the storage space then the way to go. Tuck the alloys up safe and salt free until summer. No rim scraping tyre changes either.
My third winter doing just that and it has saved me having to prematurely replace my summer tyres.

I'm tempted to run them all year round.

The tyres I have now are pretty hopeless in the rain so I would quite like to get rid of them (Falken Ziex-912's). Only had them fitted a few months ago but I could flog them on ebay.

Just been watching the news there even putting a news special on tonight about the "heavy" snowfall. FFS it's winter what do people expect?

Bunch of southern jessies. I mean they even put extra layers on rather than take them off when it gets really cold!

The almost empty office was well and truly empty by 1230 but I sat tight and resisted the pressure applied by incoming calls from Mrs D and colleagues getting stuck.

Me and Security Dave braved it out. I left at usual (Friday) time and it took the AMG time as usual as the roads were empty and I had winter tyres. :thumb:

If the C-class stays with me another year then she'll have new Winters in the Autumn.

A similar tale but my 40,000 mile Michelins summer tyres got me home without drama, though had a bit of trouble on the hill up to home.

At one point had a Saab next to me perform a decent fishtale...:crazy: :D

In many cases the secret to driving on snow is to maintain steady [ not too fast not too slow] progress- where momentum rather than traction alone will help get over many "sticky patches" =deeper snow or inclines. If someone stops in front of you then you're screwed.:(
If only the motoring great unwashed understood that, we'd all have an easier life...

In the snow of 2010 I watched in amazement as a woman in a Micra stopped (blocking my progress in the opposite direction) on a moderate uphill slope to have a natter with someone she knew who was clearing the snow off their car. Predictably she then sat there, engine screaming, front tyres polishing the snow into ice, going nowhere when she tried to pull away again. She became quite indignant when I pointed out to her that had she not stopped to exercise her vocal chords, she wouldn't have been in the predicament she found herself, before pushing her car to get it moving. Imbecile :mad:

Who here who's fitted winter tyres has gone for a narrower wheel. I'm just not feeling the transformation that's being suggested. Improvement yes but transformation...no.

Blooming iPad, that's supposed to say "took the same time" and not "it took the AMG time" :doh:

Does anyone remember the "Town & Country Tyres" in days of yore. I recall Morris 1100's sporting these and having no problems with a few inches of snow. Seems like we are going backwards with the emphasis on 'performance' with wide alloys and rubber bands for tyres of which I suspect most of use never get close to the performance in any case.

I had any number of knackered, rusty, past it Minis running on almost slick tyres in the 70s, and early 80s

Never got so stuck I had to abandon them - we had plenty of snow too.

What has gone wrong

Dont seem to remember the schools being closed either when I were a lad.

Of all the school closures here in Norfolk, and I still have to do the school run on a Saturday morning:doh: But the E class has been tucked up and wont come out until the white stuff has gone:D

We are driving to Garmisch, Germany for the Feb half term, and I am really curious to see how the BMW's and Merc's go about their daily business over there in the snow (I might even learn a thing or two lol and would save running the 4x4!)

Have you put any extra layers on, Charles?

About 10..

I recall when I first started at university in Durham, having come straight from 2 years in Gibraltar, that my room had window gaps of about an inch where the iron frames had bent and the heating was close to non-existent.

The first really cold day (about 5C) I lay in bed with all my clothes on, freezing.

Meanwhile the locals had by then stripped to t shirts and miniskirts, and that was just the men (the blond highlighted mullet perms of the period might have misled me).

Nutters..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom