BMW 135i owner, now looking at 4.7L SL500 or 4L C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think there are far too many variables (your age, location, NCB, driving history, state of the underwriters book) to suggest a particular provider.

Probably best to run some quotes through compare the market or some such and gather some provisional quotes

Interesting to hear! Where would you notice these quality differences?

Please can someone also tell me what the "premium" designation means that I see with some C63 models?
No getting away from it; the cheapest SL brand new is £65k, the cheapest C-Class £28k (yes there’ll be nuances to that but still..)

So things like sound proofing, interior quality, interior textures etc

That’s no slight on the C-Class btw - in‘63 form it’s part of its appeal - but you really are comparing apples with oranges.

I think there are far too many variables (your age, location, NCB, driving history, state of the underwriters book) to suggest a particular provider.

Probably best to run some quotes through compare the market or some such and gather some provisional quotes

Ok thanks, I've already done compare the market and spoken to my insurer but thought I'd ask in case.

My SL500 is with Aviva plus, don't think it's on comparison sites so try some of the other big names too that aren't on them, you might be surprised! (You also might not.........)

I made exactly the same journey (N55 --> 6.2 --> C63 4.0 Biturbo) and totally agree with Iggu. The W205 (with the switchable exhaust) is far and away the best.
No reliability issues either.
Great minds think alike RickMM!

Nice!! Hope you don't mind a few questions now..!

How did you justify the switch from the 6.2 to the 4L turbo? Or you just wanted a newer car?

How does the 4L turbo compare to your modded N55? (Performance, interior, ride comfort when cruising, handling when pushing it). I'm amazed you say your was bulletproof but then I guess you had an N55 and mine is N54.

Great to hear how much you love it. I'm getting excited now...this really feels like my next car :)

I've got to ask, and I know it's not why we get these cars, but occasionally I do long trips...how does the MPG of your AMG compare to your N55? Currently in my N54 I get about 22mpg combined and I imagine it'd be similar in the AMG.

Switchable exhaust? Is that the " AMG performance exhaust system" that I can see listed with cars on autotrader? How do I actually check for it when I inspect cars
Amazing! Thanks for this Rick :)

Which other extras are must haves (or worth looking into)? I like the idea of the panoramic sunroof.

I personally found the 6.2 a great car but a little bit one dimensional. That one dimension was great but.... still one dimensional. The nose is really heavy and I found that affected the driving feel in a way I didn't like. Plus the tech was a bit old (mine was a 13 plate so a face-lift near the end of the production run). The lighter engine in the 4.0 just makes it a better car, a better drive. I've had this w205 round the Nurburgring and Oulton Park and it is seriously capable and a real thrill - the w204 was more of a bludgeoning aurobahn beast and in my view lacked driving feel and finesse in cornering. All subjective opinion here of course. The interior of the newer car is a huge step up - so is the tech.
In Comfort mode on a motorway run I can get 25mpg+ but I'm sure I've seen others on here get 30.
My N55 135i was running 380bhp on a DMC tune. An absolute beast and I loved it. I only got rid because my two kids got a bit too big for the back seats and the lack of rear doors became a pain.

No getting away from it; the cheapest SL brand new is £65k, the cheapest C-Class £28k (yes there’ll be nuances to that but still..)

So things like sound proofing, interior quality, interior textures etc

That’s no slight on the C-Class btw - in‘63 form it’s part of its appeal - but you really are comparing apples with oranges.
cheapest new now list is £80k, before the huge discounts

Now I will be pedantic..... £57k.... 30% discount????
Screenshot_20200723-202217_Auto Trader.jpg

I personally found the 6.2 a great car but a little bit one dimensional. That one dimension was great but.... still one dimensional. The nose is really heavy and I found that affected the driving feel in a way I didn't like. Plus the tech was a bit old (mine was a 13 plate so a face-lift near the end of the production run). The lighter engine in the 4.0 just makes it a better car, a better drive. I've had this w205 round the Nurburgring and Oulton Park and it is seriously capable and a real thrill - the w204 was more of a bludgeoning aurobahn beast and in my view lacked driving feel and finesse in cornering. All subjective opinion here of course. The interior of the newer car is a huge step up - so is the tech.
In Comfort mode on a motorway run I can get 25mpg+ but I'm sure I've seen others on here get 30.
My N55 135i was running 380bhp on a DMC tune. An absolute beast and I loved it. I only got rid because my two kids got a bit too big for the back seats and the lack of rear doors became a pain.

That maybe the case but there is no getting away from the fact that the 6.2 in the W204 sounds sooooo much nicer than the newer car..

That maybe the case but there is no getting away from the fact that the 6.2 in the W204 sounds sooooo much nicer than the newer car..

After owning each of the cars for two years I strongly disagree - the W205 sounds WAY better to my ears. But it's all opinions, all subjective preference. 👍

After two years driving both cars I strongly disagree but.... it's all opinions

After owning each of the cars for two years I strongly disagree - the W205 sounds WAY better to my ears. But it's all opinions, all subjective preference. 👍

Doesnt the W205 C63 have fake V8 noise pumped through the cabin to make it sound better?

Out on the open road the W205 really doesnt sound close to the W204 C63 for noise......the W204 C63 cant be beaten in my eyes for smiles for miles

I drove my W204 from Manchester to Jena in East Germany and back again, via Haalstad in Austria and Grindelwald in Switzerland. That was a good trip. Last summer I drove my current car from Manc to Hanover, including a 2 day stopover at the Nurburgring where I did 13 laps. Another great trip. I thrashed both cars.
From someone who has owned both cars over a long period of time - the 4.0 with switchable exhaust sounds so much better than the 6.2. Own both, try both - you'll see.

Just looking into insurance now - any particular companies I should look at for these cars?

Have you got other cars in the household? When I got my 55 I think the first quote was around £1,200, and I’d never bothered with multi car policies before. I ended up with the 55 and three other cars on a policy for less than the original quote - through Admiral. It more than halved my car insurance costs. The savings can be huge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom