Bonnet Open Messages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sanj

Car
BMW M4 Competition pack & C205 250D AMG line
Hi All,

My car has developed a strange fault, it started happening since yesterday.
Everytime I start my car I get "bonnet open" messages on my dashboard, this seems to go away after I acknowledge the error message, or after I start driving for a couple of minutes.

At the same time I noticed the windscreen wipers wouldnt come on whilst the car was at a standstill, as soon as I move off they come back on...not sure if this is a setting I can control or something that is faulty too.

Any ideas chaps?

Sanj

Don't know why you get a bonnet open warning,

But,

I'm pretty sure your windscreen wipers are working properly.

I don't think there is a way to set their operation differently.

Have a look at the left bonnet catch. Under it there is a switch. They tend to fall off and give you a false warning.

Thanks Olly I think thats fixed it, the switch was loose, will take it for a spin and keep you posted.

Hmm....I've reseated the switch but still get the same bonnet open messages.

Can anyone else confirm if the windscreen wipers work when the car is on but not moving?!
It was raining yesterday and I had to stop at the traffic lights, as soon as I stopped the wipers stopped halfway, this hasnt happened before so I think something funny's going on...as soon as lights turned green, car started moving and wipers continued....

I get the same behaviour regardless of the wiper being on intermittant, medium and high settings.

I read the mercedes handbook, it does say that if the doors open whilst the wipers are on the wipers will stop and continue when the doors are closed which is not the same problem I'm having.

I've had this happen before and I believe it was a faulty switch. Had ours replaced under the extended warranty - the wipers did exactly what you said, they'd stop half way.

When on auto they do stop when you're stationary but at their correct position.

Have a look at the left bonnet catch. Under it there is a switch. They tend to fall off and give you a false warning.

Does left mean nearside or drivers side ( sorry but its a port or starboard thing!)

I have the same intermitent problem and this could be the cure

Thanks

I've had this happen before and I believe it was a faulty switch. Had ours replaced under the extended warranty - the wipers did exactly what you said, they'd stop half way.

I'm hoping this doesnt cost a lot - Is this the switch within the driving stalk?

Does left mean nearside or drivers side ( sorry but its a port or starboard thing!)

Well as far as I Can see there is only one switch on the drivers side.

On our LHD cars the "bonnet open switch" is on the right (drivers side for UK cars as above). I've seen a few members reporting this switch failing.

I'm not sure how the wipers are working actually, wipers should never stop half way, instead only at the parked position. This half way stop cannot be from the inside stalk but a switch at the wiper motor assembly.

Wipers can be programmed to operate slower when the car is not moving but this would never make them stop completely (at rain, when the wiper switch is at some other than zero position).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom