British GP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So then why are you so shocked (and surprised) by the outcome?

Incidentally radio calls on brakes and tyres are permitted on/for safety grounds.

Im not shocked by the outcome I'm shocked by the rule the fact a driver could blow up a gearbox and potentially kill himself or another driver just because his race engineer us not allowed to communicate a technical problem. The lunatics are making rules that endanger driver safety and the drivers agree the rules are insane but they keep making up more and more insane ones something has to give and get the sport back in track (pardon the pun)

No my dismay is at the stupidity of the rules in general. So its preferable to let the driver blow up the gearbox and cause carnage on track rather than his engineer say skip 7th we've got a problem. That is absolute madness and now I know the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Not worried about Lewis the team will fix him ;-)

You seem to be at odds with all the pundits, commentators and reporters regarding Hamilton's standing with the team. Of the two of them he has the contract, Nico still has to get his?

No matter, we're all entitled to our opinions...

Regarding the current radio rules, I agree, ridiculous. I also feel the regs regarding in season testing and development are too constrictive. Limiting engines, gearboxes etc, stifle competition. This is F1, supposedly the pinnacle of motor racing, give teams free reign, push the limits of power and speed.

Im not shocked by the outcome I'm shocked by the rule the fact a driver could blow up a gearbox and potentially kill himself or another driver just because his race engineer us not allowed to communicate a technical problem. The lunatics are making rules that endanger driver safety and the drivers agree the rules are insane but they keep making up more and more insane ones something has to give and get the sport back in track (pardon the pun)

A couple of points:

1) we see/hear gearboxes fail regularly throughout the season. Generally with a clatter and slowing speed. I don't remember seeing a gearbox fail cause any MAJOR safety issues in F1 recently.

2) if your annoyance is safety related then you should have applauded the safety car start (Because it was much safer, yes?) you can't argue both points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not shocked by the outcome I'm shocked by the rule the fact a driver could blow up a gearbox and potentially kill himself or another driver just because his race engineer us not allowed to communicate a technical problem.

This is racheting it up a bit too far.

Take this to a logical conclusion and if the radio fails the car should be immediately retired.

This is why defining rules and restrictions is hard. For example - take my suggestionl of no in-race car telemetry. I think it would reduce costs and it eliminates part of the issue of coaching. But it would also remove the ability for the team to warn the drivers of a problem that could be deemed safet related.

I think F1 could do itself a favour by doing some simple things. Eliminate telemetry during the race and qualifiying. Put a limit on how many staff are allowed in the garages over the weekend. I'm also of a mind to try and ban as much in the way of wings and aero as possible and allow much bigger tyres so that high speed grip becomes dominated by mechanical rather than aerodynamic influences.

Regarding the current radio rules, I agree, ridiculous. I also feel the regs regarding in season testing and development are too constrictive. Limiting engines, gearboxes etc, stifle competition. This is F1, supposedly the pinnacle of motor racing, give teams free reign, push the limits of power and speed.

I would say that better money redistribution would also help.

The way the current rules are going it will soon be time to rip out the radio and do what the MotoGP boys do and rely on their pit boards for info.
It appears these rules are brought in with little thought to driver safety but more to stop outside help from the engineers. A serious rethink is needed and allegedly its Jean Todt who is behind a lot of this.
Not a great fan of Rosberg due to some of his actions this season, but he got a raw deal today. IMHO of course:D

I'm also of a mind to try and ban as much in the way of wings and aero as possible and allow much bigger tyres

Wider tyres from 2017 (+60mm front & +90mm rear (I think))

Also much more compact front wing, larger lower rear wing and bigger barge boards to give ground effect downforce.

Should look much nicer on the eye too.

I couple of points:

1) we see/hear gearboxes fail regularly throughout the season. Generally with a clatter and slowing speed. I don't remember seeing a gearbox fail cause any MAJOR safety issues in F1 recently.

2) if your annoyance is safety related then you should have applauded the safety car start (Because it was much safer, yes?) you can't argue both points.

1) Australian GP Alonso's horrific crash caused by gearbox failure causing him to go up the backside of the Haas car he was lucky to walk away with his life.

2) Start should have been delayed not started behind safety car and run over a reduced number of Laps it needed. All the drivers are complaining about the use of the safety car today.

This is racheting it up a bit too far.

Take this to a logical conclusion and if the radio fails the car should be immediately retired..

This is what I don't understand in the old F1 cars there were other ways of getting a message to the driver without using radio I am assuming these too are now banned or why use the radio?

1) Australian GP Alonso's horrific crash caused by gearbox failure causing him to go up the backside of the Haas car he was lucky to walk away with his life.

2) Start should have been delayed not started behind safety car and run over a reduced number of Laps it needed. All the drivers are complaining about the use of the safety car today.

Alonso crash was documented as a racing incident Ian.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fo...1-australia-alonso-crash-gutierrez-video.html

I've never heard anyone speak of a gearbox failure on Alonso's car. If you're right then I genuinely apologise. :thumb:

Regarding the start Ian. A delayed start wouldn't have achieved much. Im not even sure it was raining for the start, just standing water on track. As you well know, the only way to clear standing water is to drive through it many times.

Delayed start would not have cleared the water.

This is what I don't understand in the old F1 cars there were other ways of getting a message to the driver without using radio I am assuming these too are now banned or why use the radio?

Pit boards are still allowed. But same rule, no driver aid info IIRC. Just lap times, posision & box in messages.

Alonso crash was documented as a racing incident Ian.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/3/f1-australia-alonso-crash-gutierrez-video.html

I've never heard anyone speak of a gearbox failure on Alonso's car. If you're right then I genuinely apologise. :thumb:

Regarding the start Ian. A delayed start wouldn't have achieved much. Im not even sure it was raining for the start, just standing water on track. As you well know only way to clear standing water is to drive over it many times.

Delayed start would not have cleared the water.

I thoughy I had read McLaren engineering report cited gearbox failure as root cause of accident. Maybe I dreamt that but I do tend to follow mechanical failures quite closely . Will see what I can dig out.

Hehe. Like that Ian.

Toto's bi*ches eh?

Good fair discussion tonight mate. :thumb:

Ant.

Yep that's what forums are all about mate.Sometimes my passion for Motorsport boils over when I see the stupid new rules. I really will be glad when Bernie's gone. I do love my WRC and BTCC though.

Yep that's what forums are all about mate.Sometimes my passion for Motorsport boils over when I see the stupid new rules. I really will be glad when Bernie's gone. I do love my WRC and BTCC though.

Yes, people hate change, it's not always for the better. Bernies control of F1 can't/won't go on forever. Glad we took our daughter (8 at the time) to Silverstone in 2013 before the engine change. Awesome experience. The look on her face when the first car flew around that corner was priceless.

Understand your frustration. But horses for courses as they say. Love my F1, alway have, always will.

Ant.

I really will be glad when Bernie's gone.

I think there will be a lot of drivers/teams glad to see the back of Bernie. He has been lining his pockets for years off the back of deals admittedly brokered by him. Just think of the new tracks built only to be crossed off the calendar because of poor ticket saleson Bernies say so. Turkey, Seoul, India, just in recent times.

Sir Donald McKenzie is Bernie's boss so who takes over from him I have no idea.

Yes, people hate change, it's not always for the better. Bernies control of F1 can't/won't go on forever. Glad we took our daughter (8 at the time) to Silverstone in 2013 before the engine change. Awesome experience. The look on her face when the first car flew around that corner was priceless.

Understand your frustration. But horses for courses as they say. Love my F1, alway have, always will.

Ant.

Had my daughter stood at the side of the Renault F1 car whilst the engineers played the national anthem via the exhaust note by reving the car, truly amazing.

Had my daughter stood at the side of the Renault F1 car whilst the engineers played the national anthem via the exhaust note by reving the car, truly amazing.

Yeah, I remember seeing/hearing that on Top Gear. Alonso's 2006 Renault. Amazing sound. The stig took it around the track in 58 seconds. :eek:

I would say that better money redistribution would also help.

Investment or prize?

F1 has always been a "rich man's" sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom