C200 (W202) ECU problems, Ignition Coils test, Guide and help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A 1999 car will not have a PMS unit.

Really you need to get it plugged into a Star diagnostic machine to get to the bottom of your problem.

Hi Neil, I have C200 1999 W202 Auto petrol. It was not driven for couple of months and now it would not start. The dashboard showed it was in R gear while the gear stick was in P position. I have charged the battery and now dashboard does not show any Gear position( display is blank). Nothing happens when I turn the key to start the car. Only the fuel pump noise. Can you please tell me whether it needs new ECU. Thanks

You will have the post 97 facelift car. This is a lot more complicated electronically than the earlier model. Many of the electronic modules "talk" to each other. The ignition switch assembly- engine ECU-- gearbox selector unit. Unless they all "agree" the car won't start. Sounds from what you said the gear selector unit may be faulty which will prevent the starter from turning over. As Neil suggests with this generation of car you need to get it hooked up to a Star diagnostic machine to find out what's going on.

Really you need to get it plugged into a Star diagnostic machine to get to the bottom of your problem.

Thanks Neil & Grober, is there an alternative scanner I can use, as it is not possible to move the car. Someone recommended U581 with round adapter cable ( 38 to 16 pin) can read obd on 1999 c200. Any suggestions? Will obd2 scanner read obd or obd 1?

Regards
Lalit

Last edited:

Thanks Neil & Grober, is there an alternative scanner I can use, as it is not possible to move the car. Someone recommended U581 with round adapter cable ( 38 to 16 pin) can read obd on 1999 c200. Any suggestions? Will obd2 scanner read obd or obd 1?

Regards
Lalit

OBD 2 only became manditory on petrol cars after 2001 and on diesel after 2004 I believe. In many instances there are diagnostic "layers" of access. Since OBD is really designed for monitoring emissions then it often only allows access to systems related to the engine. Sometimes its impossible to predict how "deep" any particular code reader can go into a car's system without trying it out on the specific model in question. So the answer is it might work it might not. Only truly reliable answer is from someone who has used a U581 on your precise model/age of car. sorry:(

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread.
I have a '96 C200 with the PMS system.
I have replaced the ECU with an updated unit.
The wiring failed so caused the old one to fail.

I now need to change the coils as I'm getting a misfire
Over 4000rpm. Plugs and leads are O.K.

I have checked underneath the engine and it seems
Quite difficult to reach up to the coils and remove
them. Can anybody confirm if it is that the only
way to remove the coils is to remove the inlet
manifold?

Same problem

Hello everyone.
I just bought MB W202.020 and having the same problem.
I am lookedor new ECU and found one, but it's different part number and manufacturer. Currently I have Bosch 018 545 11 32 and the new one would be Siemens 018 545 03 32.
Do you think it will fit and work properly.
Thank you for any answer. :thumb:
Dominik

The replacement ecu would be an earlier version judging by the number. Its listed for the 1800cc version of the M111 engine rather than your 2 litre car. afaik these differ in bore size rather than stroke so the 0185450332 may work but power may be reduced??

Thanks for the reply grober.
Surly I don't want to lose any power.
I suppose I can replace it only by same unit. Or by unit with higher number, is it?

Last four numbers refer to part revisions-usually larger number means later version- doesn't imply previous versions were inferior just different.

there are at least 5 other versions of A 018 545 11 32 for example
may be worth trying that substitute type if the hardware electrical plugs are the same. Its only likely to differ in the ignition advance curve.
Idealy you need the same part no or a factory recommended alternative.

Thank you, sounds reasonable to buy the same one. We'll put it on diagnostics, cause we haven't yet and then I'll buy a new one. Found some in Poland (I'm from Czech Republic).

What do you think about companies which are doing repairs of ECUs. I found one in my county and it costs around €370. Friend told me it's German company.

Thank you neilrr,
I'll try to search for one of those you suggested, and new coil for sure.
First I'll double-check all the wiring harness if everything is ok and in order.
Will let U know later how things going on. :thumb:

Hi neilrr and grober you both seem to be a fountain of knowledge on these pesky cars I wonder if you could shed any light on my problem
I've got a 1997 (R) reg c class 180 it also drops on to 2 cylinders occasionally but if you switch of ignition and restart it cures itself , changed cam sensor still the same also checked out the coils they seem to be in spec ,does this car suffer the previously mentioned ecu problems ? . On this model the coils live under the rocker cover top pkate
Cheers in advance

Different ECU I believe--- the wiring loom insulation problems no longer apply but there's still scope for wiring and coil degredation due to their close proximity to the engine block. Might be useful if you can narrow which two plugs are failing to fire. Could be an overheating problem coils or a power transistor in the ECU but if it goes away quickly on ignition switch off/ on might point towards a momentary ARCING insulation breakdown on the HT side of things. One thing to look at are the plug extender connectors below the coils. They are known to breakdown over time.

Crikey thanks for the quick reply very much appreciated

Update on my problem. A friend of mine has a diagnostics (some cheap Delphi) and it works ok with his Kompresor. But mine doesn't communicate with it. It connects but then says: communication failed. I'm pretty sure it's PMS problem. For being really sure, I'm gonna buy new coils and then I'll need to change it. I have found this company which is repairing units.
Repair and auto programming computers, unlocking car navigations repair trucks Does anybody have any experience with them? I sent an email and they say they can repair it for €250 + €60 shipping. For example German company is doing it for €400.

Update on my problem. A friend of mine has a diagnostics (some cheap Delphi) and it works ok with his Kompresor. But mine doesn't communicate with it. It connects but then says: communication failed. I'm pretty sure it's PMS problem. For being really sure, I'm gonna buy new coils and then I'll need to change it. I have found this company which is repairing units.
Repair and auto programming computers, unlocking car navigations repair trucks Does anybody have any experience with them? I sent an email and they say they can repair it for €250 + €60 shipping. For example German company is doing it for €400.

SEE post 53 general agreement that these PMS units are not repairable sorry.

Last edited:
back on the road again

Hi guys againg. I solved my problem with PMS unit. Sorry not to listen to you guys but I found one scrapyard here in Czech Repiblic and they texted me that they have some guy who can repair my unit (Bosch 018 545 11 32). He texted me that some of these units have construction error from manufacturing and that they can fix it.
His response sounded reasonable so I sent it there. He said it wil be for €192. After one week he texted me that it's fixed, but there was problem with some presure sensor and it will be €247. In two days it arrived. He told me to replace coils first and then put the PMS there.
AND it worked! :)
I'm back on the road since monday and happy as a child. :bannana:
SO it is repairable.
I thought that they will just send me new one and tell me that is repaired. But before I sent it there, my brother tried to open it and fix it by himself (asshole) and he broke the cover. That is how I knew it's the same one. Also you could see how they had to melt the sides and thet fix it back with rivets.
This is their website: ?ídící jednotka
You can check it out, just translate it with Google.
Best luck to everyone, maybe it will help you.
CHeers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom