C43 Full lock low speed judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive been reading this thread with interest as my new 19 plate C43 suffers dreadfully from this as I have to apply maximum lock to get off my drive every morning.
I took the car to MB at Southport this week for its first service ready to start negotiations regarding new tyres and the surprising response once they checked my car and contacted the warranty dept was "no problem sir 4 new tyres are on order for you"
Not sure what flavour tyres are coming but Ill report back once theyre on.
Thankyou MBClub members for doing all the hard work in advance of me turning up.
Cheers
Phil
I bought a pre reg 19 in October and I had heard about the crabbing but didn't realise it would be so bad. Dealer didn't mention it. I emailed the dealer on the day I collected it when I got home and at first they tried to fob me off saying I would have to buy them. I wasn't having that so I emailed customer services, they spoke to AMG in Germany and AMG got in touch with me. They said it was a characteristic but could understand why I didn't like it and said the dealer would be back in touch to arrange an appointment. They fitted a set of Bridgestone all weather tyres and it solved the issue. No crabbing at all. My partner's a35 does it in the cold but not any way as bad as my c43 did.
I'm sure different tyres will sort it

What do you mean crabbing?
When driving slowly on full lock the front wheels skip sideways as they roll, causing a juddering felt through the steering wheel
And accompanied by a noise somewhere between bumps and bangs on the scale of car noises.

Reactions: AMV
When driving slowly on full lock the front wheels skip sideways as they roll, causing a juddering felt through the steering wheel
And accompanied by a noise somewhere between bumps and bangs on the scale of car noises.
That's strange, maybe because the tyres are very wide? Or 4wd?

It's a known issue with 4WD RHD Mercedes Benz cars with ultra-low-profile tyres. It has to do with the way the conversion to LHD was designed on the 4WD cars.

MB insisted for a long time that the tyre skip was a cosmetic issue and has no safety implications (a 'characteristic', they called it), but eventually agreed to replace the factory-fitted summer tyres with all-weather tyres FOC for those customers who wouldn't accept that the 'crabbing' was 'nothing to worry about. The all-weather tyres apparently have stiffer sidewalls so don't flex as much.

Personally I think it's not a great fix, because it limits the choice of tyres you can fit on the car, an issue which I imagine would be especially unpopular with AMG owners who - as enthusiasts - I am sure would have much preferred to be able to pick and choose their tyres.

That said... it is what it is. Be aware, if you are planning on buying a 4WD RHD Mercedes Benz cars with ultra-low-profile tyres.

MB insisted for a long time that the tyre skip was a cosmetic issue and has no safety implications (a 'characteristic', they called it), but eventually agreed to replace the factory-fitted summer tyres with all-weather tyres FOC for those customers who wouldn't accept that the 'crabbing' was 'nothing to worry about. The all-weather tyres apparently have stiffer sidewalls so don't flex as much.
It’s the other way round, all-weather (or Winter) tyres allow more flex is colder weather which prevents tyre skip. Tyre skip is only really an issue in colder weather and it’s reluctance to switch between tyres for summer and winter is what amplifies the issue in the UK. It’s not just a 43 thing although that’s where the most complaints originate, it affects 63 models both with and without 4-matic - I have a RWD which does it too - and it affects other marques.

Switching to winter tyres is becoming more popular in the UK, but many UK drivers believe that using winter tyres is either a con or not required because it’s we don’t get much snow in the UK. Winter tyres are for Winter, not just snow. UK drivers don’t seem to understand that and demand ultra high performance Summer tyres with super stiff ultra low profile tyres to also have the same ultra high performance in Winter and without compromise, even though they.re Winter Tyres.

Switching to Winter tyres in Winter offers the best potential performance in Summer and Winter, by using the right tyre for the conditions. However for those drivers who still expect the same tyre to operate all year round with minimal tyre skip and with convenience of not switching tyres, then all-season tyres are the answer, but they still a compromise, just a different compromise, as they won’t perform as well as a Summer tyre in Summer, or a Winter tyre in Winter.

My E63 is doing this really badly ATM, but I don't see why some people have their knickers in a twist over it.:dk:

I had this badly with the stock Pirelli. Dealer even Warner me at pick up and demonstrated in show room, probably trying to make sure I don't come back next day moaning about it.

Have binned Pirelli since and got myself some Michelin with not so ridiculous tyre pressure. Studder at full lock pretty much gone. Completely gone once the tyres are warm.

Its related to limitations of the ackerman steering geometry whereby when car goes round a corner the front wheels should describe curves of a different radius--- if they don't then the two front wheels start to fight against each other by exerting sideways forces and the juddering/knocking /skipping are the proceeds of this battle. Tyres with a more compliant tread pattern- deeper more open tread and softer compound at most UK temperatures such as winter/ all weather tyres can effectively dampen out these effects by allowing more sideways movement - they are still there but not so noticeable to any driver.
The steering geometry may also be affected by the steering castor angle - the built in tendency of the front wheels to self centre and run straight normally- some models inc the early GLC have had their front suspension uprights changed to counteract this. its all detailed in various threads on the forum

Will the judder issue cause excessive tyre wear?

Will the judder issue cause excessive tyre wear?
Given that it only happens at parking speeds... and on cold days...I would have thought not. Or, not to any noticeable degree, anyway.

What car are they off Steve, that looks very excessive.
Similar to the first picture, I have this on my summer tyres, but only about the first 1" from the edge.

I believe it's a GLC and you can see they are Continental tyres. Like you say, most people shouldn't be as bad as that but it was mainly a reply to markjay to show that additional wear is a real thing.

Given that the tyres are being asked to perform "over and above" their design performance profile I would venture YES- but to what extent would depend on how they are driven and under what circumstances/ temperature conditions. Putting it another way the more often you noticed it before changing tyres the more likely you are to experience increased wear afterwards. If I was to guess I would suggest perhaps 3K less miles per tyre- insignificant/acceptable on a 20K tyre but more significant on a 12K high performance one ???

My C43 tyres were 40% worn on the front after 3000 miles. I bought the car in Feb with 100 miles on the clock just before lockdown and now it has 3000 miles on the clock. I doubt I would have got to 5000 miles before the fronts were bald. Replacement tyres are in the dealership now but cant get an appointment until August.....

Its related to limitations of the ackerman steering geometry whereby when car goes round a corner the front wheels should describe curves of a different radius--- if they don't then the two front wheels start to fight against each other by exerting sideways forces and the juddering/knocking /skipping are the proceeds of this battle. Tyres with a more compliant tread pattern- deeper more open tread and softer compound at most UK temperatures such as winter/ all weather tyres can effectively dampen out these effects by allowing more sideways movement - they are still there but not so noticeable to any driver.
The steering geometry may also be affected by the steering castor angle - the built in tendency of the front wheels to self centre and run straight normally- some models inc the early GLC have had their front suspension uprights changed to counteract this. its all detailed in various threads on the forum

Markjay and bobby dazzler also have it nearly right and grober spot on, they did fix the non AMG GLC vehicles after many many complaints.
Unfortunately its MB's obstinate stance not to fix the AMG vehicles as there are less of them and therefore the unit cost of the "knuckle joints" or uprights would be too expensive so we have to suffer! I know I have one! winter tyres are not the answer unless you really need them. It is only a winter problem though!
Complain like hell on the forums and maybe just maybe MB may do a suspension fix.

Good luck.

N.B. I dont have to do very tight turns so I put up with the occasional judder and only in cold weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom