C63 PPP - KW V3 Coilovers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hee hee, sorry for all the questions, just interested in what's next :eek:

Nice pics, that suspension looks like it is all being used up.

Has Uli ever talked about stiffer anti roll bars?

How are the tyre and brakes holding out with all these laps round the ring?

Uh oh, the questions just keep flooding out :wallbash: :p

Uli isn't keen on stiffness at all - hence he wanted to see what it was like softened up although he didn't like that either lol! :doh:

He hasn't mentioned ARB's but in all honesty it isn't suffering from excessive roll anymore (when not in Cadillac setting) so once the corner weight balancing has been done, I should be done with the suspension.

Brakes are fine - I have fitted braided hoses and used uprated racing fluid...don't ask me what but it cost a lot appears to be very good as I don't get any fade at all...although the Nurburgring isn't too hard on brakes anyway (despite seeing an Audi coming off the track with his brakes smoking!). The only slight weak link are the road pads which lack a bit of bite on the track - they'd have probably have been OK had I bedded them in properly when the car was brand new but I'll live with it as they work and they're very good (and quiet) on the road.

Tyres - well, I've done 7500 hard miles and my rears were on the legal limit when I got to the 'ring :eek:. I have a set of new Continental 5P's waiting for me at Tyres Northampton but didn't want them fitted until after all this set up had been done - I may as well get all the hard driving done on the existing set but it does mean they'll be less than ideal (and legal) for driving home in :eek:

The current Conti Sportcontact 3's aren't the best for going round the track but I have been assured the 5P's are in a different league. I would have liked to get some Pirelli Corsa's as they're a great road/track compromise but there are none available anywhere and they propably wouldn't have been the best choice as we begin to enter Autumn!

Last edited:
That second from last photo - front tyre looks to be running on the rim,,:D

Thank you for yet more informative updates, Palmball :thumb:
After a week away, I had a few posts to catch up on :D

Will you be posting some photos, post-D:Class visit? Pretty please? :)

Darren

Will the exhaust system from the CLK63 Black Series fit your engine bay?

The higher stock output of the BS is due in part to a less restrctive exhaust system :thumb:

Ed A.

P.S.

What about using the same settings on your coilovers as the Black Series ?

Thank you for yet more informative updates, Palmball :thumb:
After a week away, I had a few posts to catch up on :D

Will you be posting some photos, post-D:Class visit? Pretty please? :)

Darren

Lol! Yes, I will post some pics up of my new headlining but I haven't got the car at the moment so will have to wait till the end of next week!

Also, David from D:Class said he took some before, during and after photo's so once he's emailed them to me I'll pop them up.

Will the exhaust system from the CLK63 Black Series fit your engine bay?

The higher stock output of the BS is due in part to a less restrctive exhaust system :thumb:

Ed A.

P.S.

What about using the same settings on your coilovers as the Black Series ?

The suspension settings for the Black Series are what KW recommended for my coilovers with but TBH, it's just too stiff for everyday driving in the UK.

With regards to the exhaust, I thought I'd got the sizes wrong but indeed, what I said on my previous post was correct.

The CLK Black Series has a standard exhaust diameter of 2.75 inches which is 70mm - my standard one is 2 inches (52mm) so is much more restrictive.

Most uprated headers/exhausts on the CLK Black Series go to 3 inches (75mm) which is exactly what is being fitted to mine so this indicates that the '63 engine must respond well to this modification (heres hoping anyway!).

Great pics Palmball, but boy does that back end look low over your wheels :eek:

Quick hello to all,another newbie here,standard c63,black /sahara beige incoming first week in dec .
I have an enginering backround and have enjoyed reading about the upgrades,hope to meet some of you.
Mark:thumb:

Hi wellcome to the forum nice choice of car

This must be the best c63 in the uk? Lovely car.

Thank you very much! To me, the basic principle of the car is awesome...it's a genuine little muscle car and IMO only needs a few improvements to really perfect it which I feel I'm dealing with (but in reality, the changes are very personal to me and could therefore be seen as a total waste of money as the car will likely not be worth a penny more than standard!)

Quick hello to all,another newbie here,standard c63,black /sahara beige incoming first week in dec .
I have an enginering backround and have enjoyed reading about the upgrades,hope to meet some of you.
Mark:thumb:

Welcome Mark, I'm glad you find this interesting!

I'm always fascinated by what makes people choose a certain car...what made you choose the C63 over the competition? (In fact, any other C63 owners feel free to pipe up here)

99% COMPLETE

That is how I would describe the car after Uli's latest fettling.

Seriously, I can't stress enough how well my car now rides! That's right, I'm talking ride quality :eek: Going down the road it's just so smooth and you don't need to avoid holes or scarred surfaces and over really small, high frequency bumps (those that you often get on side roads and would knock a stiff car all over the place), this just absorbs them. It doesn't float over the road though...you do still feel the road but it deals with bumps and ruts in one well controlled movement which has to be felt to be believed!

Indeed, so good is the ride that you'd think the car will roll or be soft. Well no...Uli has managed to get the holy grail of a good ride and almost flat cornering...mainly, I believe, by using the rebound adjustment to control the roll angles.

Very effective tuning - using quite a supple compression to give a good ride and ability to deal with mid-corner bumps without getting any deflection, and using the rebound adjustment to literally 'pull' the car flat in bends.

So, why only 99% complete?? Two reasons....

IMO, it sits a little high at the front so I'm going to get Uli to take out another 5mm or so from the front ride height (it's currently very similar to standard so it's never going to be on the floor!). And didn't my poor friend know about this...I kept ripping into him today saying its so high he may as well of bought back a Range Rover for me :rock:

Also, like most new Mercs are known for, it pulls to the left which is a bit more noticeable now the car responds so much better to steering inputs. This is apparently designed-in for safety reasons (incase you fall asleep at the wheel, the car pulls you into the kerb :rolleyes:) but you can get a set of adjustment bolts from Mercedes to ensure you can align the car 'perfectly' and dial out this design flaw. With any luck, this will all be completed by next weekend! :D

Yes Wheels in Motion can sort the pulling to to left.

you do still feel the road but it deals with bumps and ruts in one well controlled movement which has to be felt to be believed!

In which case I've a feeling you're going to be kept very busy at future GTGs. :)

This thread continues to fascinate and impress in equal measure. Sounds like MB could do worse than to adopt some of these suspension modifications for their production models (even if that would make your car a little less rarefied).

Last edited:
I'm always fascinated by what makes people choose a certain car...what made you choose the C63 over the competition? (In fact, any other C63 owners feel free to pipe up here)[/QUOTE]

Hoping like Mark I will be an owner very shortly in December I wanted a car that gives me that smile factor every time I jump into it and turn that key. To be honest I dont think there is much out there with the sort of price that we have or are looking to pay that will give you such a smile. The reason comes down to Mercedes taking a C Class saloon and sticking one of the most ridiculous engines in it that makes such a noise and gives out so much power. I love V8s and always have done which for me the C63 was a recommendation from people who have or have owned one. I haven't even test drove the car and just know its the right car for me. I like the thought of a subtle car that people can look at and think, "Theres something different about that, but dont know what" and then you start it and it knocks them off their feet. Ok, maybe as well at being able to show boys in their Subaru's what a car is meant to be has its appeal also...I think you want a car to take you back to being a kid yourself and everything I have read about this car is on paper shouting "it shouldn't happen" which is what this motor is all about and I love that appeal.....

Sorry for rambling on.... :D

i picked the two front conti3's from Andy today.

had a good look around the '63, and i can confirm that the interior mods he has had done are amazing... the roof lining and 'A' pillars in alcantara are truly outstanding, the dash mods, consisting of lower plastic trim on dash being replaced with leather is also truly superb.

also, he was kind enough to take myself and my mate for a spin in his car.

the ride is as he describes, which feels quite weird, as it is firm and flat, but not at all hard or bouncy!

the handling was very very good indeed. the engine also sounds superb through the modded exhaust .

all in all a truly well sorted car, and i think the mods wont detract from it, they will probably make it fetch top dolor when he sells, and would, IMHO, make it be snapped up quickly.

he is going to the ring again tomorrow, to have some more work done on the suspention, as he feels it doesnt sit quite right yet. (i thought it looked really nice, but agree that it could do with a slight tweek to level the front and rear up, but hardly noticable in such a cool car)

Thanks Nick, appreciate the feedback and glad you liked it! :thumb:

I'm sure plenty of people think I've got a screw loose the amount of time I'm spending trying to get it set up 'just so', but it's good to know the results noticeable by others!

Look after those conti's with the care and attention that they've had for the first half of their life lol :rock:

Has been a fascinating thread so far.
Thanks for sharing the developments with us.

i picked the two front conti3's from Andy today.

had a good look around the '63, and i can confirm that the interior mods he has had done are amazing... the roof lining and 'A' pillars in alcantara are truly outstanding, the dash mods, consisting of lower plastic trim on dash being replaced with leather is also truly superb.

also, he was kind enough to take myself and my mate for a spin in his car.

the ride is as he describes, which feels quite weird, as it is firm and flat, but not at all hard or bouncy!

the handling was very very good indeed. the engine also sounds superb through the modded exhaust .

all in all a truly well sorted car, and i think the mods wont detract from it, they will probably make it fetch top dolor when he sells, and would, IMHO, make it be snapped up quickly.

he is going to the ring again tomorrow, to have some more work done on the suspention, as he feels it doesnt sit quite right yet. (i thought it looked really nice, but agree that it could do with a slight tweek to level the front and rear up, but hardly noticable in such a cool car)

Hey Nick...

It sounds like Andy has a great setup....

On my CLK63 Black Series on anything other then the smoothest road surfaces, it tends to bang the back of your head into the headrest...:eek:

I guess that's why they make racing helmets !!! :D

Ed

Omg palmball this is an amazing thread. Have to say I'm jealous of the adventures you have had with your c63. Your car has to be one of the rare delights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom