• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Came outside to a massive crack in my windscreen :(

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
So I walked out to my car (which was parked in the sun) and found a massive crack had appeared in the windscreen.

Went onto National Windscreens (insurer told me to use this company) and booked a new screen to be fitted, £75 excess…. I emailed and requested a genuine screen but not sure if this will happen.

They actually had slots available for the coming Tuesday at the branch 40 mins away, but seeing as it’s not my main car I just booked it in for June at my local branch…

IMG-4728.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with National Windscreens, and also with requesting a genuine screen?

Thanks in advance.

With summer coming, needs to have the same UV rating and should be a matching tint to rest of the car glass, will cost a little more to get OEM screen but look and feel of car will be optimum.

Does anyone have any experience with National Windscreens
Yes, they've done a good job for me in the past. I take it that they have booked to do it at one of their depots that has the required camera calibration facility?
and also with requesting a genuine screen?
Yes.

First off, it will slow down the process as National Windscreens will have to get permission from your insurer to fund an OEM screen and if it's approved they will need to order it in from a Mercedes dealer.

My experience is that the insurer will generally only sanction the fitting of an OEM screen if the vehicle is relatively new - less than 3-years old seems to be the limit for most insurers - and even then you may have to be quite firm with them. Some insurers will let you pay the difference in price twixt the OEM and aftermarket screen in addition to the excess, but not all. Be prepared for the claimed cost difference to be disproportionate to the cost of an OEM screen from the MB dealer's parts counter.

With summer coming, needs to have the same UV rating and should be a matching tint to rest of the car glass, will cost a little more to get OEM screen but look and feel of car will be optimum.
Will the non-OEM screen not be identical bar the MB logo?

Yes, they've done a good job for me in the past. I take it that they have booked to do it at one of their depots that has the required camera calibration facility?

“Windscreen will have to be replaced. We may require your vehicle for up to one day to ensure the ADAS safety features are working as intended.”

I assume the centre can sort this out, although my car is pre-FL so not sure it even has said features… (W212)

Yes.

First off, it will slow down the process as National Windscreens will have to get permission from your insurer to fund an OEM screen and if it's approved they will need to order it in from a Mercedes dealer.

My experience is that the insurer will generally only sanction the fitting of an OEM screen if the vehicle is relatively new - less than 3-years old seems to be the limit for most insurers - and even then you may have to be quite firm with them. Some insurers will let you pay the difference in price twixt the OEM and aftermarket screen in addition to the excess, but not all. Be prepared for the claimed cost difference to be disproportionate to the cost of an OEM screen from the MB dealer's parts counter.
I am not in a particular rush as it’s not my main car, but it does sound unlikely a genuine screen will be approved as it’s a pre-FL W212….

Are you aware if the replacement screen (even if non-MB) will be identical bar the little MB logo?

Are you aware if the replacement screen (even if non-MB) will be identical bar the little MB logo?
I only had OEM replacements on my W212's as each time the car was less than 3-years old, but on Angie's SLK55 the replacement screen was made by Pilkington as was the OEM screen, and the only difference I could detect was the absence of the MB logo and the "G. Daimler" signature that was on the original screen.

I only had OEM replacements on my W212's as each time the car was less than 3-years old, but on Angie's SLK55 the replacement screen was made by Pilkington as was the OEM screen, and the only difference I could detect was the absence of the MB logo and the "G. Daimler" signature that was on the original screen.
Sounds good. Thank you.

Damn stone chips!

Thats quite an impact....must have been a good sized stone......

Something similar happened to my van windscreen last week, the damage was caused by a petrol strimmer throwing up a stone.
Mercedes themselves don’t manufacture windscreens, you will probably find that the replacement windscreen will be manufactured at the same factory that supplies windscreens to Mercedes. The only difference will be that there will be no Mercedes logo on the replacement windscreen.

Well that was easier than I thought.

Sent National Windscreens an email asking if they can fit an OEM windscreen yesterday.

Today they called me back to say they have approved and ordered OEM glass and it’ll arrive in 5-6 days.

Happy so far!

Well that was easier than I thought.

Sent National Windscreens an email asking if they can fit an OEM windscreen yesterday.

Today they called me back to say they have approved and ordered OEM glass and it’ll arrive in 5-6 days.

Happy so far!
Make sure it has a MB logo, oem might not have.

Just to close up,

Brand new OEM MB screen fitted by National Windscreens - absolutely impeccable service start to finish at our local branch.

Last edited:
Did you only pay the £75 excess? Bargain!

Make sure it has a MB logo, oem might not have.
MB Logo present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom