Campaign Support for "Keep left when you can"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

There is absolutely no legal provision that makes it possible to exceed the speed limit under any circumstances on the public roads, apart from emergency vehicles.

Years ago, I recollect being advised by my military driving instructor that you were legally allowed to 'temporarily' exceed the speed limit on single carriageway when carrying out an overtaking manoeuvre.

I was inclined to believe my instructor and not head off and try to disprove him.

So maybe, somewhere in the distant past, this exception once existed.

I've read my copies of Roadcraft and of course that talks about making progress; I am intrigued by the straying over the limit when overtaking. I have done it many times, and in front of marked police cars who of course couldn't care less!

However, I don't do it on SPECS controlled single carriageway roads - funny that :rolleyes:

I can only think this comes from the days when you had to be timed over a certain distance to be prosecuted for speeding, but these days it's an instantaneous thing (vis: speed cameras).

You cannot (legally) exceed the posted speed limit for any reason.

Last edited:
Having had several one-to-one sessions with serving and retired traffic police instructors, it seems they're all obsessed with "making progress"!! :D

No doubt exceeding the speed limit even for a moment is illeagal, but I think consistently driving above the limit - or doing so erratically - is different to momentarily exceeding the limit whilst passing car safely (assuming it is safe to do so). I suspect most police officers would share the same view.

Would be different if you continued razzing it though!!

I would suggest that making progress and temporarily 'speeding' whilst overtaking might be more advantageous than travelling any longer than needed in the opposite lane on a single carriageway.

No doubt exceeding the speed limit even for a moment is illeagal, but I think consistently driving above the limit - or doing so erratically - is different to momentarily exceeding the limit whilst passing car safely (assuming it is safe to do so). I suspect most police officers would share the same view.

I quite agree :) - much behaviour that is strictly illegal will not end up being prosecuted. But the OP specifically referred to the legality and that is not the same as not being enforced. It does worry me that people get on the roads without even properly knowing what they are supposed to do with regard to the basic principles... :crazy:

Last edited:
I quite agree :) - much behaviour that is strictly illegal will not end up being prosecuted. But the OP specifically referred to the legality and that is not the same as not being enforced. It does worry me that people get on the roads without even properly knowing what they are supposed to do with regard to the badic principles... :crazy:

That makes two of us. If they can't get the basics right then there's no chance of good road manners like there used to be, as is blatantly obvious these days

I fully support keeping to the left, and I adhere to it with great relish for a number of reasons (some of the quite selfish ....)

1) Camera vans and parked traffic officers are most likely to be focused on lane 3 - I am only in lane 3 if I am passing something in lane 2.

2) Someone might want to pass me, and I don't want to be the numpty sat in lane 2 or 3 holding them up.

3) If I am making a conscious effort to "keep left unless overtaking" then I need to be alert, aware of the vehicles around me, and the conditions ahead - simply by "keeping left unless overtaking" I am improving my performance in other areas of my driving - surely I am much less likely to get bored/fall asleep/fail to realise the vehicles ahead are stopping/ than the guy who sits in lane 2 no matter what day dreaming away ?

Sorry, but with all the heavies governed down to 55MPH it is far too much of a nuisance to keep moving from lane 1 to lane 2 and then back again repeatedly simply to observe a highway code rule which was written decades ago.

Yes, keep left when practical but not so as to make hundreds of lane changes and end up weaving, which IMO is far worse.

Sorry, but with all the heavies governed down to 55MPH it is far too much of a nuisance to keep moving from lane 1 to lane 2 and then back again repeatedly simply to observe a highway code rule which was written decades ago.

Yes, keep left when practical but not so as to make hundreds of lane changes and end up weaving, which IMO is far worse.

I quite agree. It's difficult enough driving down the motorway, what with telephone calls, stereo adjustments & day dreaming to take care of, without having to obey a silly old law, drive with courtesy for other motorists & go through all the sheer hassle of changing lanes.

I quite agree. It's difficult enough driving down the motorway, what with telephone calls, stereo adjustments & day dreaming to take care of, without having to obey a silly old law, drive with courtesy for other motorists & go through all the sheer hassle of changing lanes.

I agree. I find it much more relaxing to stare blankly out of the windscreen for hours on end rather than strain my eye muscles by trying to look in my mirrors and move the steering wheel "left" and "right" all the time.

PS is it just me or are some drivers very aggressive these days? I quite often find drivers behind me want to get onto my patch of the road and flash their lights in a menacing way. No way Jose. Over my dead body.

I agree. I find it much more relaxing to stare blankly out of the windscreen for hours on end rather than strain my eye muscles by trying to look in my mirrors and move the steering wheel "left" and "right" all the time.

PS is it just me or are some drivers very aggressive these days? I quite often find drivers behind me want to get onto my patch of the road and flash their lights in a menacing way. No way Jose. Over my dead body.

I reckon it's the porkpie hat that does it.... :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

read the last sentance in rule 268 regarding traffic to your right:devil:

now im using your own quote against you.. i think your quote backs my argument up and by the way you posted the link, i just read it and diggested it before i took my IAM test.
If you are a member of the IAM then i suggest you read the latest edition of Advanced Driving which refers to undertaking.

I reckon it's the porkpie hat that does it.... :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

How did you know about my porkpie hat?

Hmmm... that reminds me ....must remember to get the straw boater out at the weekend for when the clocks change.

How did you know about my porkpie hat?

Hmmm... that reminds me ....must remember to get the straw boater out at the weekend for when the clocks change.

I saw your good ladies plastic rainhat :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom