Can you replace a reversing bulb with a brighter one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Not sure if this is possible buit can you put a brighter reversing bulb to replace the current one.

Wife says her current B class one seems quite poor?

Thanks

^ so it 'could' take one? without frying the elctronics?

Would this be picked up on an MOT? I doubt it...

Hardly like fitting after market HID's is it?

whats the verdict

^ so it 'could' take one? without frying the elctronics?

Would this be picked up on an MOT? I doubt it...

Hardly like fitting after market HID's is it?

whats the verdict

Correct...not legal, but can't think it would ever be picked up.

What could I fit without blowing anything?

Can you even get brighter reversing lights?

thanks all

Aren't reversing lights "optional", in which case they wont be assessed at MoT time?

^ not over any above anything factory fitted?

I did think that, as my E class is quite dark and I have the dog guard up with a blind in that but I can still see...

DSCF8551.jpg

Try Specsavers, they might have something that can help.

^ thanks for the help

As it happends my wife does wear glasses.

I did ponder even posting the question but thought actually its nothing 'that odd' to ask??

Obviously you think differently. Thanks for that.

^ not really an 'add' on would look a bit naff...

I had an imported mx5 and that had to have an add on fog lamp..that sort of idea would look unsightly authough I did just see some 'reversing sensor type lamps'

but then the car already has sensors so more...again would look odd.

I thought just a brighter bulb....

^ thanks for the help

As it happends my wife does wear glasses.

I did ponder even posting the question but thought actually its nothing 'that odd' to ask??

Obviously you think differently. Thanks for that.

There is a reason why there is a brightness limit for reversing lights, because you will be showing white light to oncoming cars, which iirc, I did answer.

The law says lamps of only a certain maximum wattage, in addition you are likely to melt the housings if you increase the wattage.

There seems to be a modern fixation with needing all car lights to be dazzlingly bright, which I don't understand. :dk:

It seems (from Google) many people do change the bulbs for higher wattages, with no reported comeback. Would you need CANBUS friendly ones?

There is a reason why there is a brightness limit for reversing lights, because you will be showing white light to oncoming cars, which iirc, I did answer.

The law says lamps of only a certain maximum wattage, in addition you are likely to melt the housings if you increase the wattage.

There seems to be a modern fixation with needing all car lights to be dazzlingly bright, which I don't understand. :dk:

But it appears there isn't a limit for bulbs carrying an approval mark?

^ Thanks for that (dieselman)

How often would I be reversing in a main road, I really doubt one slightly brighter reversing light would 'blind' people... G-wiz there are SO many cars with headlamps all over the place or dogy HID's...

Anyway melting the housing / any electric problems IS a concern...and that's not good.

All I asked was for a brighter bulb option. If it can be done fine. As you mention why do we need everything bright? bulb technology has obviously come on some way since standard car bulbs so why not have brighter lights if you can.

My lights in the E class are super bright and I would think safer? is that an issue or should I replace them with normal ones?

If technology is there to make things better then why not use it. If in the case of my wifes reversing bulb it cannot help or is going to cause problems then I will do nothing.

As my wife sometimes say, if you cannot say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Just search google or ebay for an led version of whatever type of bulb your reverse light is. It will need to be a canbus error free one if the car has bulb monitoring.

Last edited:
^ thank you all

I will do just that, and report back if better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom