Can you stop Windows Update???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cbenz

Hi,

My PC seems to be in the middle of a huge download from Windows Update that has been going on for hrs and hrs now and is slowing the PC.

1) Could it be XP SP2?

2) I used to be able to suspend the download by double clicking or right clicking on the icon. Doesn't seem to work now. Have also tried disabling Windows Update downloads in control panel and rebooting, but it starts again. Seems it is intent on downloading whatever it is. Shame as I'm planning on installing SP2 from CD. Any way I can stop it downloading????

Cheers!

Uninstall it in "Control Panel" + "Uninstall programs". When you have rebooted it will stop the hard disc from running all the time. There are certain prerequisites to be done before installation dependent on your computer model. These will probably include some downloads prior to reinstalling the update. The update is easy to remove if things go wrong.

Another option would be to set the 'Automatic Updates' service (Administrative Tools / Services, or Right click 'My Computer' / Manage / Services and Applications / Services) to 'Diasbled' before restarting the PC.....

I've had the odd update fail in the past during the download stage. If the download drops out for one reason or another, your windows can sit there waiting for the download to resume. Whether it continues to try resuming or not is another matter, personally I've never seen it resume so I always give it 20mins, then force it to close..... reboot and try again...

Go start/run/type msconfig/ok click the start up tab and untick all ,you will need to reboot after this then tick one at a time to see what application is causing the problem .
Warnihg keep sistray ticked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom