Car Thefts UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neil5619

Car
E220d
Hi all,

Wondering what the latest news is on car thefts. I can see that "keyless cars" seem particularly vulnerable but my question is for those newer cars that dont have these features.

How often are they stolen?

How would they even be stolen with all the modern security features.

How often are non keyless entry mercs stolen?

Should we all just never purchase keyless entry!

What does everyone think?

How often are they stolen?

How would they even be stolen with all the modern security features.

How often are non keyless entry mercs stolen?

Should we all just never purchase keyless entry!

What does everyone think?
I'm sure those stats are available somewhere....?

It's handy, I use it all of the time but my cars parked in a locked garage under my backside.. Covered by cloud based Cctv.

For those with a car on the driveway, get a security pouch at least for your keys. (or a metallic box)

Mercedes solution is to put the key to sleep if it does not move, no idea when this was introduced or how long the fob has to be static.

It's difficult to tell.

Obviously thieves target high-value cars, which are also more likely to have Keyless Go.

So it's probably a mixture of both...

A few years back a friend had a brand new SL55 stolen from the company car park. The car was simply driven out by the thive(s) in broad daylight. It didn't have Keyless Go, and he had both keys with him (which the insurer wanted to see before paying-out).

So Keyless Go is one way to nick a car... but by all means, not the only one.

double tap to turn key off (supposedly)
place in farraday pouch
pouch in metal tin
tin in microwave
not even David Blaine will interfere with that!

Ps don’t let the Mrs turn the microwave on

Newer keyLess keys go to sleep when they haven’t been moved for 30 seconds, this can be retrofitted to some older keys.

Newer keyLess keys go to sleep when they haven’t been moved for 30 seconds, this can be retrofitted to some older keys.
Ah I'd that shy sometimes the key doesn't work when in my pocket..... Light on my feet you see....

Maybe I need to jiggle my pokey before approaching the car...

Let me simplify this. If they want your car they will find a way to take it.
Remember Developers episode?

i leave the keys to whatever cars are outside on the stairs every night. Take the car and leave, I’ll get another one the next day but, don’t come upstairs.

i leave the keys to whatever cars are outside on the stairs every night. Take the car and leave, I’ll get another one the next day but, don’t come upstairs.

If someone is prepared to break into the house for the keys, I'd fully agree with you.
Disabling keys etc will only put off amateurs.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Reactions: HB

Exactly this. If they really want it, they will take it. Opportunist thieves will take what is easy. A targeted or 'to order' vehicle will be taken no matter what. This is the reason I am still 50/50 about something like Ghost. I love the idea of it, but wouldn't want someone breaking my door down to drag me out to disarm it. The latter is quite unlikely and it would deter most criminals who managed to break in but not take it away. Still undecided.

I joined a local car crime group on FB and majority are not high end. There are lots of Fiestas (and similar) keyless thefts that happen daily, along with the odd MB etc. Some are house break ins but mostly keyless.

I’m the same pal, always baffled me why people can be so attached to a lump of metal where theirs and their family safety are at risk.

Reactions: HB
It's difficult to tell.

Obviously thieves target high-value cars, which are also more likely to have Keyless Go.

So it's probably a mixture of both...

A few years back a friend had a brand new SL55 stolen from the company car park. The car was simply driven out by the thive(s) in broad daylight. It didn't have Keyless Go, and he had both keys with him (which the insurer wanted to see before paying-out).

So Keyless Go is one way to nick a car... but by all means, not the only one.

Incidentally, he said that they drove out of the car park virtually 5 minutes after he parked the car.

Most likely they have managed to cut a spare key, then followed him from home to work (he lives in a secluded house that would have made it difficult for the thieves to approach at night unnoticed, so they preferred the car park which wasn't gated).

How the thives managed to cut a key is a mystery, MB's records showed that no additional key was ordered (the insurer requested this as proof, together with both original keys), and the car was brand new so only ever been to the main dealer.

I’m the same pal, always baffled me why people can be so attached to a lump of metal where theirs and their family safety are at risk.
I understand your reasoning mate but some lumps are rare and special. Some take a long time to find the perfect car with the spec they want or in other cases work very hard to buy their dream car. The fact some scrote takes it away in seconds is what pisses them off. I do however agree that none of this comes before the safety of your family.

I understand your reasoning mate but some lumps are rare and special. Some take a long time to find the perfect car with the spec they want or in other cases work very hard to buy their dream car. The fact some scrote takes it away in seconds is what pisses them off. I do however agree that none of this comes before the safety of your family.

It's not about the car.... the head says let them take it, the safety of your family is far more important, but the heart says "WTF????".

I am aware that the police (rightly) discourage people from resisting muggers and robbers, but you can't help thinking that if more people did resist, and it wasn't that easy for the criminals to get away with their loot, then maybe fewer thugs would be trying to commit robbery in the first place?

The knowledge that their victims are told to not offer any resistance is encouraging criminals, which would not have been an issue if the police did have the resources to follow-up on each and every mugging and robbery and find the culprits and charge them, that would have created a deterrent as well.

EDIT: BTW I am personally well above the age where I could offer any resistance... it's all an academic discussion for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom