Caught Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mw_C32

Tut tut silly me caught again :confused: :(
Now I am going to have to invest in a camera detector.

I was doing 35 in a 30 zone, I thought these cameras were set up to catch anyone doing over speed limit plus 10% plus 2 to alow for "errors" that makes 35 so 36 is trigger level!!
Any one else cought doing 35?? or less!!!

I accept total responsibility and will pay fine and take points and try to be more carefull, even so I was on a dual carriageway no pedestrains as pavements were all fenced off with traffic lights at pelican crossings.

My missus was also caught earlier this year and got of with £60 paid to go on a course for road saftey and let off the points.
She was doing 37 in a 30. And that was near a school.
No sense no rhyme nor reason, sometimes this feels like another tax on the motorist.:crazy:

Some local authorities have a zero tollerance attitude to speeding (especially Blackpool). A collegue of mine was doing 32 in a 30 area, paid £95 just so as not to have points on his licence.

I was also caught doinf 36 in a 30 zone. I sent off the form and havn't heard anything since. That was 1.5 years ago!

My missus got caught by a mobile speed patrol doing 42 in a 30.
I got the speeding notice sent to me, as I'm the registered owner. Filled it in with her details as required by law, but didn't sign the form.
Does anyone know if this loophole still works?

If your not an overpaid footballer with enough money to fight the system, then you'll probably get it returned ordering you to sign the form.

Anyway, fingers crossed. Let us know in due course.

Failing to sign the form does not work, neither does paying by cheque a penny more than the fixed penalty (ie £60.01).

In the case of not signing, you (as the registered keeper) get summoned to court - and if you fail to identify the driver you get to pay a fine and points (not for the speeding though, for the offence of failing to identify the driver as required by law).

In the case of the 1p over payment, you have failed to comply with the conditional offer (which was to pay £60 exactly and take 3 points) so you forfeit the fixed penalty and go to court instead - where the starting point is £60 (+CPS costs, so say another £60 if you are lucky) and at least 3 points. If the magistrate sees you toot the pi$$ (and they will when your £60.01 cheque is produced...) expect a bigger fine for wasting the courts time!!!!

And failing to identify the driver is NOT within your "Human Rights" (the rumour about self-incrimination came from a case in the Scottish courts (different law) and was overturned on appeal).

If you are offered a driving course and a hefty fee (£120 here I think?) I would balance that against how many points you already have, and how many you expect to get - oh, and some of the courses are supposed to be good (the best include a lesson from a Police Driving Instructor).

:bannana:

I got caught doing a very naughty 132 on the M1 late at night. Naturally I had to attend court and basically was given the choice of asking for points or a ban. I decided not to play silly bu****s and just asked the magistrate to do what he thought fit. I didnt plead any silly circumstances - I told the truth "I was just seing what the car would do - sorry!". The magistrate was a decent bloke and despite telling me that this was the highest speed they had ever had in Wetherby Magistrates, he did say that at least I hadnt given the "usual **** and bull story" (his exact words!) and gave me a 6 week ban and £350 fine. Not a bad result I thought.

My biggest worry was the insurance as it's not exactly cheap anyway and I am with "we only cover careful drivers" - e-sure. To my utter suprise they asked for an extra £50 - that was it.

The moral I think - apart from sticking to the speed limits - is if you do get caught don't try and mess about with the system as frankly all you are going to do is annoy the police/courts etc and you'll probably come off worse in the end.

Adam

Originally posted by grenachenoir
My biggest worry was the insurance as it's not exactly cheap anyway and I am with "we only cover careful drivers" - e-sure. To my utter suprise they asked for an extra £50 - that was it.

I'm amazed by that. :eek: "we only cover careful drivers", for me that should read "we only cover drivers with more no claims than you, older than you, didn't used to have as many points as you." Their "if you've got 4yrs NCB..." proved to be a big pile of shiny sh*** :mad:

It hets worse. After agreeing to re-insure me on my C280 for an extra £50, I went to renew my wifes insurance on her Scenic. I am a named driver on that one. They (e-sure) wouldnt allow me to be a named driver because I had a ban!!! I think it depends on the time of day you call or something...

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully you won't hear anything. Don't they say only 1 in 3 camera's is active, even if they flash?

I got caught doing a very naughty 132

I agree with grenachenoir. I have on a number of occassions been stopped by a Police Officer for being a little naughty, I always plead stupidity, apologise, and thank him like my life was in his hands. So far, touch wood, It works, a stern telling off and "drive carefully now sir". A mate of my dads (who's a Traffic Cop) says that they, (and the courts), get so many bulls**t stories that when someone actually turns round and says "I'm guilty, I'm an idiot, please be kind to me" it often disarms them.

Thanks Richard, I did'nt see camera flash and did'nt even realise there was one there hence the need for a camera detector. The reason I got caught is because I got a notice of intended prosecution.
Agree with grenachenoir and vito113 but no good if caught by camera :(

By the way I was in my van and not my car. I hevent been "done" in my car yet!!!

M.

Sorry Mark, I just thought you'd been flashed by a camera. Do you know if it was a fixed camera or a mobile one that caught you? My road angel doesn't pick up most of the mobile sites, although I hear they will be updating it to include these.

Fixed camera. I just wasn't paying attention as I was just following traffic at the time and probably talking on the phone. (Hands free of course).

I thought that there has not yet been a proven case using S172 as a catchall for those who don't sign the NIP? AFAIK, the CPS keeps dropping the cases (the original unsigned NIP ones so it never gets this far).

Suffice to say - fullfil your current legal obligations by completing your details on the form in CAPTIAL letters (preferably your partner) but do not sign it and do not sign any covering letter you may care to accompany with it.

K

Last edited:
I've just had the dreaded "Notice of Intended Prosecution" letter.
39 mph in a 30 mph zone. Likely fine amount ? Are the letters always NIP's or does it depend on what speed you are doing ?

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully you won't hear anything. Don't they say only 1 in 3 camera's is active, even if they flash?
No longer, Apparently they are all now connected live to the server for that area. Gone are the days when there was actually a camera with in the box. It's just like a web cam now.

I have heard the speed reduction meetings are quite entertaining, if you get the choice!
You even get a free cup of tea and biscuits :)

You'd be surprised. Even the new digital ones in the small, high box dont always flash. There is one on my patch in a 40 limit (DC) that I regularly go through at 70-80 (on emergency calls:rolleyes: ) that very rarely flashes.

Its the most obvious location in the world, and now there are cameras pointing both ways. I was very upset the other night when a muppet in a fiesta was playing the silly overtake/slow down in front game to annoy me (below average manhood, possibly?), and then approached the camera well in excess of the speed limit. A car came the other way and set it off- Triggering panic braking from him.

I would love for him to have sailed through at his initial speed. Might have needed me to cruise past slowly grinning at the next lights :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom