Changing discs & pads: difficult?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
I'll probably be needing new discs and pads over the next couple of months. Got a quote from dealer and fitting would be ~£100. Cos I'm a tight bugger I'm considering doing it myself (with lots of help from my dad - though he doesn't know that yet :p). £100 saved would be nice.

Is it a difficult job? And is replacing the pad wear sensors difficult too?

I think it's about time I started becoming a bit more mechanically competent instead chucking wads of hard earned at the stealer.

Cheers,
SImon

If you really want to save yourself some money, speak to Jimmy but having said that, its a relatively painless job. Pads and sensors are a 15 minute job but the disks may ned some persuasion to get off (copper/hide).

Its dead easy Simonl. 19mm ring spanner, 5mm allan key, pliers, broad bladed screwdriver (for adjusting the rear hand brake)small punch and a small hammer. Would you like me to scan the Haynes manual and post it?

The front discs and pads are relatively easy to replace, the only difficult part is undoing the allen screws that hold the calipers on.

The wear sensors simply push into a hole in the pads and can be reused as long as the warning light has not come on yet.

The rear pads are again easy but the rear discs are a bit tricky because of the inboard handbrake shoes, wouldn't recommend you do that unless you are quite mechanically minded.

Dont forget to clean the protective grease/oil from the discs with a solvent and put the copper grease on the back and sides of the pads not the front!! Seriously, I have seen it done, the discs were fitted without cleaning and the pads were covered in copper grease. Needless to say the car did not stop very quick!

Originally posted by Ian B Walker
Would you like me to scan the Haynes manual and post it?

That would be great! Thanks! :) Just thinking, I have an acquaintance who used to be a Merc technician. I forsee an offer of beer.

@Jimmy: Cheers for the advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom