• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CL600 won't start - OK up to starter relay I think.

Bigdogspike

Car
CL600
Hello there, I have just joined the MB club partly because I have just bought my first Merc (2001 CL600) and partly because it won’t start!
I noticed a post by Dash1, he seemed to have a vast amount of knowledge in the area where I believe my problem is and I was hoping he might be able to give me some info, not sure how I can contact him as I’m new to all this so thought I’d post my problem and see what happens! (sorry it’s a bit long but added all info I could)
During my first week of ownership I found the car would intermittently not start. The key turns, I get all the ignition lights but nothing happens when I turn the final bit to engage the starter motor. I keep trying it, wait a while, lock and unlock car etc and after while it starts.
Happens with the Keyless Go and both keys. Happens in Park and Neutral.
The other issue I noticed was a loud “buzzing” noise when I turned ignition on, I wondered if this could be connected so investigated, it was coming from the Fuse/Relay box on left as you face the car. I removed the modules and fuse/relay trays and found a cooling fan underneath which was making the offending noise. I have ordered another one, I put it all back together and, you’ve probably guessed, now it won’t start at all! I believe I have found the starter relay (Green) and I can hear it operate when I try to start. I have 12v on pin 30(I think) and this is switched through to pin 87 (I think) when it operates. I can’t find any diagrams, so don’t know where it goes from there?? Any help , ideas would be much appreciated.
Lastly – It is an absolutely great car, don’t regret buying it for a minute, even this problem hasn’t dampened my spirits, I still love it. But would be nice to turn it back into a toy instead of an ornament!

OK Thanks, I'm trying to find some sort of circuit diagram, then I'll try and look into that.

Honestly google it, it's extremely common! Had to replace mine afew years ago.

What's involved in replacing it? Is it easy/expensive or relatively simple?

I have had this stalling/starting problem twice now.

Thanks,

Stuart

Sensor is around £40 from euro car parts, it takes around 10 minutes, iirc it's held in by one bolt on the back of the engine, passenger side.

Does it turn over?

Before replacing anything get it on a Star.

An update on my problem – I bought the Mecr workshop manual on DVD and traced the output of the starter relay (Green relay in Right hand fuse/relay box in engine bay) the relay was operating OK, the 12v left the relay/fuse box on a purple wire that left the box via a connector on the top towards the front. One morning when the car wouldn’t start I put a meter on this terminal and saw 12v OK, this wire I believe goes directly to the starter motor solenoid so I concluded the problem was with the starter (or the wire?!) Didn’t fancy tackling the started motor in the drive now weather is turning so asked local garage to do it. Starter was on the left of the engine (car is right hand drive (ie for UK) I believe it’s on the other side for left hand drive so as to avoid steering column). Got it back a week ago and has been good as gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom