clk 208 boot lid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twizellb

Car
sl500 r230
Hi everyone, i bought a 2001 clk convertible at the weekend which i am very pleased with however i'm having difficulty in opening the boot.
The salesman opened it on saturday but i had great difficulty when i got it home.
Eventually i did get it open with the key as the switch seems not to be working,
however i tried again tonight but had no success.
I can hear a sucking sound when trying with the key, but pushing the boot lid lock manually is having no effect.:wallbash:

could be the vacuum pipe or bellows on the lock is broken. You will need to work plenty of lubricant into the lock and keep on with the metal key until it free's itself. Then you can at least gain access to the lock

Thanks Mark, its already had a dose of wd40 will continue.:thumb:

just carry on, its common for the lock parts to get gummed up due to lack of use.

Always a good idea with the w208 convertible to keep that manual lock well lubricated and frequently checked, otherwise if the battery goes flat you're really stuck as it's in the boot. jump starting can then be a real problem.

Mine is a coupe and I had the usual lock problems. I soaked it for about 6 weeks and it still wouldn't budge. It was a pain trying to get in through the rear seats because the backrest release is, of course, in the boot.
I eventually managed to get in by removing the first aid kit and feeling around. My friend who owns a bodyshop, then crawled in and opened it. I always leave one of the rear backrests unlocked now.

Mine is a coupe and I had the usual lock problems. I soaked it for about 6 weeks and it still wouldn't budge. It was a pain trying to get in through the rear seats because the backrest release is, of course, in the boot.
I eventually managed to get in by removing the first aid kit and feeling around. My friend who owns a bodyshop, then crawled in and opened it. I always leave one of the rear backrests unlocked now.

The convertible seats cannot be folded down at all as the roll bar is incorporated in the headrests and the 'eject' mechanism is behind the seats.

Makes it a bit more problematical :doh:

Just give it some more WD40 and ..........it opened.
Yay!

Excellent! :D

May I suggest you make a point of keeping it well lubed and open it occasionally with the key! :thumb:

I know this may sound daft and I will admit to it!.

I thought my boot was having the same problem until i realised that first press of the key only unlocks the drivers door. two presses opens all the locks.

and also mine relocks all the doors when driving so when i want to open the boot i have to press the fob again to make sure all the locks are open before trying to get in the boot.

Now i'm used to it have no problem and just use the door unlock button on the dash before getting out

BTW mine is a 1999 clk convertible

Hi everyone, i bought a 2001 clk convertible at the weekend which i am very pleased with however i'm having difficulty in opening the boot.
The salesman opened it on saturday but i had great difficulty when i got it home.
Eventually i did get it open with the key as the switch seems not to be working,
however i tried again tonight but had no success.
I can hear a sucking sound when trying with the key, but pushing the boot lid lock manually is having no effect.:wallbash:

If your boot keyhole slot is in the horizontal position… right picture… then the boot can’t be unlocked electronically with the remote fob or the cabin switch, you will hear the vacuum pump running when you press the lock inwards but the lock won’t unlock, only the metal key blade will unlock it.

Dec

keyhole.jpg

W208 boot lock

I tried to open my boot today.:fail It wont open with the remote,the switch on the centre console, and the lock has seized. The key wont turn, my fault for not lubricating it.:wallbash: The door locks work with the remote as normal.I can crawl into the boot as I forgot to lock the backrests after folding the seats down. Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.

Fiddly, but take the plastic trim around the lock off and you should then be able to open it. I had a small friend crawl in and do it for me.

It’s better to try to free the seized lock with WD40 squirted directly into the key hole. If the key blade will turn to the left, to about the 11 o’clock position, then the lock is not seized and just needs to be pushed inwards while the key blade in the 11 o'clock position.
If it is urgent, that you need access to boot then try dismantling the boot latch as illustrated below.

Dec
attachment.php

InsideBoot.jpg

BootLock.jpg

Copyofbootentry006.jpg

Far better reply than mine. I squirted about 10 cans of various fluids into the lock in the time that I owned it but it never freed. After it opened the first time, my friend found that one of the vaccuum pipes was kinked. The problem never came back but I always left one of the rear seats unlocked.

Pictures make a big difference, always better than words whenever possible.

Always oil the key hole with the boot fully open, that way the oil gets to drip down all the parts of the lock where it is needed… not possible when the boot lid is shut, that’s why its not always easy to free up the lock.

Dec

W208 boot lock

Thanks to everyone for their help. What annoys me is, when I bought the car 5 years ago, the lock barrel was missing and I bought a new one at great expense. If only I had lubricated it regularly:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom