CLK 320 Roof Handle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive had a look and dont fancy strippinh the roof
Could you drill a hole in the outer tube thread it;
Cut a slt in the Handle post and screw a bolt throiugh the tube into the slot cut into the tube

Same issue with the inner washer coming off the top spindle.

I took the cowling off my convertible top along with the handle and found the same gold washer you show in your pix. However, it was missing the silver inner washer that appears to be the weak link. It looks like its press fitted into the gold washer, correct? Is there anyway to remove the spindle so as to put on a small washer from the back side of it?

Thanks!

Sirswift93

jjs, sir swift, sorry about the delay, not been well....

as for your suggestions, without getting to the parts its very difficult to comment, i should be in a position to have the parts in 'me mits' shortly, if you gave any pics with arrows showing you ideas. that would be helpful.

Rich

Thanks for the reply. I actually took it all apart and realized that there are no missing parts. The goldish steel washer is what fits down over that spindle, keeping it from falling through into the passenger compartment. Still just friction fit. It looks like Benz could not find an economical way of fastening these items as welding; mig, tig, brazing or soldering steel to cast is difficult but, possible. Although I like the idea of putting set screws into the side of the steel tube that holds the cast piece in place, I will try mig welding the washer first.

me too

I had the same thing happen to me today. I was closing the roof and the handle came away in my hand. I took the plastic cover off when the roof was down and saw everything was loose. I've not had the guts, yet, too remove the unit from the roof itself but if it's dry this weekend, I'll give it a go. I took it to the Merc dealer near us and yups, he remembers repairing the same problem a few years ago but according to him, it's not a re-occurring problem ('my' and '****' comes to mind). Said he wasn't sure what the part would cost but if memory served him right, it's going to be around 800 smackers. Well, I can't afford it and with the B service well overdue and the rear brakes needing replacing, I'm afraid the thing is staying as it is, unless I can bodge it myself at the weekend.

If anyone else near Bridgend in South Wales has managed to remedy this problem without machine working the parts and can help a damsel in distress, please let me know!

Lisa
c, Hi, sorry to hear your problems, if you read my thread fully you will see how i fixed mine, i also did it for another member, so if you have no joy, get in touch and i'm sure we can sort something out, This offer also goes out to anyone else with this problem.

Regards

Rich

My hero!

Hiya Rich,
Apologies for not replying sooner, internet problems! Thanks for the offer, that's really sweet of you. We have to take her in for her service tomorrow at our indie (fab bloke, btw!) and I'm going to open her up in his garage :eek: If we can't get it sorted (and I very much doubt we can but as I'm a bit of a control freak, I have to try) I will definately be in touch.
Regards,
Lisa

Same thing happened to my little sisters mota.. ill have to see if I can bodge something and grab a c clip

zxrichie? where abouts in cambridge are you mate? i may have to get you to pop down and have a look at mine if I dont have any luck..

:)

Hi Steve, i;m in a little village between Cambridge and Royston. What about yourself?

Rich

What hole to put the spring ends in

Hi guys,

I have welded mine back, but I don't know which of the three holes I should attach the spring. Any ideas?

25095d1312539009-clk-320-roof-handle-100_6299a.jpg

Sirswift93

Works, but what's the stock position?

Surely you have had the chance to try all positions in the last 18 months?

I used the middle position, but wanted to know what the stock position is. I really didn't want to unthread everything three times; it works fine now. I'm sure all three positions work ok as someone else used the last position.

On another note, does anyone have photos of what the proper spring and mechanism should look like together? Again, it works, but the large piece that is attached to the spring with the two tabs is scraping the black paint down to the metal.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Pics of how it is supposed to be would be very helpful to me as well. Cannot find any in manuals.

How are you 2 guys doing, i have a bunch of pictures i took when i originally did this, if you let me have a email addy i can send you the lot in a zip file.

Rich

I'm having some problems with the hood latch mechanism as well.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but if your offer is still open zxrichie, I'd be much obliged.

Same here mine has broken away the screw that holds down the arms onto the centre piece and guide has snapped off. Tried everything not working. Even drilled the old one out and tried to replace with make shift bolts keep breaking. help

Attachments

• IMG-20180711-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20180711-WA0009.jpeg
    848.8 KB · Views: 32
I'm not sure that I understand this thread (not having this particular car) however, looking at it, how hard would it be to drill the spindle and insert a Split Pin through thus retaining the washer in place?? Just a thought...

Here are some pics of my solution.

first one shows the e-clip arrangement on the handle mechanismn, the shaft pokes through the cylindrical piece on the second piccy and the e-clip secures it from the other side. It allows it to rotate, but takes the downward force when you pull the hood down.

What do you all think?

Rich
Hi Rich
I now have the same issue as you experienced and overcame. What size E clip did you use?
Many thanks
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom