CLK 320 Roof Handle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dave Hi, Blimey , i did this over 4, 5 6 or 7 years ago, i dont have the car any more but what i did is buy one of the e clip boxes at halfords and took the one with the inner dis just below the OD of the shaft and machined it to that dia,
Hope this helps

Rich

To Everyone else, i'm sorry but i dont think i can be of any use on this problem, no car, no parts, no memory, no outlook...
if you bring the car to me i'm sure it would come flooding back.

Rich

Here are some pics of my solution.

first one shows the e-clip arrangement on the handle mechanismn, the shaft pokes through the cylindrical piece on the second piccy and the e-clip secures it from the other side. It allows it to rotate, but takes the downward force when you pull the hood down.

What do you all think?

Rich
Genius !! . Wish I had seen this 20 hours ago

Here are some pics of my solution.

first one shows the e-clip arrangement on the handle mechanismn, the shaft pokes through the cylindrical piece on the second piccy and the e-clip secures it from the other side. It allows it to rotate, but takes the downward force when you pull the hood down.

What do you all think?

Rich
Thabks soooo much!

Late to the party (9 years ) with an easier solution.
I have been reading this thread over the last month waiting for better weather to give it a go.
However I could not see an easy way to make the groove for the circlip as there really is not much of a lip.
I have found that I didn't need to. From the start to the finish:
1) Drop roof, leaving the rear cover open. Remove handle (turn it 90 degrees to do this with a 2.5 hex allen key. Obvious maybe, but as it was loose when I removed it, it didn't need to be turned, but I couldn't put it back without. May save someone time.)
2) You don't need to take off the catch linkages, if you do hovever, be aware that some of the nuts are left hand thread. The nuts also tend to fall off if not screwed back in.
3) Undo the gold torx bolts and the roof wire nuts. Ease the rubber off the metal panel with the twist mechanism on (or hanging off) and turn the panel over.
4) The underneath (see photo posted by ngary 8 years ago) has a slotted plate, undo the nut, under which is a washer. Find an extra washer that can go over the central gold pole, but not the mechanism pushed through. (I bought a pack of 4 for £1). You then put a circlip onto the pole where it is round below the oblong head but above the washers that can retain the washers. To get the pole in the right position to do this you reattach the handle and flip it up (again obvious when you know but took me a while of messing around with molegrips before sussing it!).
I thought that this would stop the pole coming up to allow it to swivel but it doesn't, it works just fine.
5) Reassembly is the reverse of removal. If you have put the torx in before the hood wire bolts, the hood wire bolts wont go, but if you put the roof up a bit more vertically they will. Similarly my torx bolts were quite tight and centreing them, getting them all started before tightening and moving the roof up all helped.
Thanks to the contributors that got me so far, and I hope my tweak helps others.

Late to the party (9 years ) with an easier solution.
I have been reading this thread over the last month waiting for better weather to give it a go.
However I could not see an easy way to make the groove for the circlip as there really is not much of a lip.
I have found that I didn't need to. From the start to the finish:
1) Drop roof, leaving the rear cover open. Remove handle (turn it 90 degrees to do this with a 2.5 hex allen key. Obvious maybe, but as it was loose when I removed it, it didn't need to be turned, but I couldn't put it back without. May save someone time.)
2) You don't need to take off the catch linkages, if you do hovever, be aware that some of the nuts are left hand thread. The nuts also tend to fall off if not screwed back in.
3) Undo the gold torx bolts and the roof wire nuts. Ease the rubber off the metal panel with the twist mechanism on (or hanging off) and turn the panel over.
4) The underneath (see photo posted by ngary 8 years ago) has a slotted plate, undo the nut, under which is a washer. Find an extra washer that can go over the central gold pole, but not the mechanism pushed through. (I bought a pack of 4 for £1). You then put a circlip onto the pole where it is round below the oblong head but above the washers that can retain the washers. To get the pole in the right position to do this you reattach the handle and flip it up (again obvious when you know but took me a while of messing around with molegrips before sussing it!).
I thought that this would stop the pole coming up to allow it to swivel but it doesn't, it works just fine.
5) Reassembly is the reverse of removal. If you have put the torx in before the hood wire bolts, the hood wire bolts wont go, but if you put the roof up a bit more vertically they will. Similarly my torx bolts were quite tight and centreing them, getting them all started before tightening and moving the roof up all helped.
Thanks to the contributors that got me so far, and I hope my tweak helps others.

Hi Folks
My handle fell off a while back and I was lucky enough to find this thread.
I used the ZXRICHIE method with the ECLIP.
I used a junior hack saw to cut the slot in the handle - 20 minutes careful but easy work.
I then open the front of the roof, removed the gold scews and the two nuts. Carefilly removed the lining rubber and the inner lining stick on fabrick and the plate is away from the car. Please note which side the lever rods go. I put a piece of electrical tape on one rod and another piece on the side of the plate it fitted.
Remove the handle from the fitting with an allen key.
Reassemble the mechanism and insert Eclip at the top. Use a bit of vasaline as lubrication.
Fit plate back to car. Install the wires with the two nuts first, and then fit the gold screws.
refit both head linings.
Refit the main cover panel with the clips and four screws.
To refit the handle you need to get it into the position at right angles to it normal static position. Use the short end of an allen key to hold the handle in place whilst you turn it and then insert the locking pin.
JOB DONE
ZXRICJIE cam up with a great solution - hats off to you matey

Total time to do the fix was 2 hours and that included getting the refit sequence wrong a couple of times.
Any one need a hand - 07799112414 - Dave Allinson

Hi Folks
I used a junior hack saw to cut the slot in the handle - 20 minutes careful but easy work.
I then open the front of the roof, removed the gold scews and the two nuts. Carefilly removed the lining rubber and the inner lining stick on fabrick and the plate is away from the car. Please note which side the lever rods go. I put a piece of electrical tape on one rod and another piece on the side of the plate it fitted.
Reassemble the mechanism and insert Eclip at the top. Use a bit of vasaline as lubrication.
Fit plate back to car. Install the wires with the two nuts first, and then fit the gold screws.
refit both head linings.
To refit the handle you need to get it into the position at right angles to it normal static position. Use the short end of an allen key to hold the handle in place whilst you turn it and then insert the locking pin.
JOB DONE

Total time to do the fix was 2 hours and that included getting the refit sequence wrong a couple of times.

Hi Dave, I have the same problem. Do you have any photos? Are The gold screws you refer to the 9 torx ones? Do the 2 nuts have bolts that may fall out or is the bolt fixed to the tube the wires run through? Sorry if these are daft questions but I don’ Want to start something I can’t finish!
Cheers

Hi Paul
Sorry - I did not take any photos whilst I was doing it. I did print out all the pictures associated with this thread to use as reference as I did it. They were usefull.
U bought an eclip from 'Simply Bearings Ltd'. It is described as - Stainless Steel E-Clip 12mm Shaft Diameter - Model - SS.D1500-012- - Pack of 2. These are £3.51 for the pack of 2. I have a spare one which I will mail to you if you want it.
The gold screws are the 9 torx ones.
The two nuts hold fittings which are attached to wires which are used to pull the roof backwards as it folds down.
I was also worried that I might be starting something which I could not finish.
I cut the slot first and ensured the E-Clip was a good fit in it.
I then took the roof apart slowly and fitted the handle.
Call me if you want verbal help.
Dave

Hi Paul
Sorry - I did not take any photos whilst I was doing it. I did print out all the pictures associated with this thread to use as reference as I did it. They were usefull.
U bought an eclip from 'Simply Bearings Ltd'. It is described as - Stainless Steel E-Clip 12mm Shaft Diameter - Model - SS.D1500-012- - Pack of 2. These are £3.51 for the pack of 2. I have a spare one which I will mail to you if you want it.
The gold screws are the 9 torx ones.
The two nuts hold fittings which are attached to wires which are used to pull the roof backwards as it folds down.
I was also worried that I might be starting something which I could not finish.
I cut the slot first and ensured the E-Clip was a good fit in it.
I then took the roof apart slowly and fitted the handle.
Call me if you want verbal help.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks very much for that! I have ordered the clip from Simply Bearings, cos I’ll probably break one or lose one!!
If it’s not a silly question how far from the end of the oblong head did you cut the pole (or barrel) of the handle? How deep did you go and did you cut around all of the barrel / pole? Or did you just cut where the 3 parts of the e-clip fit into the pole?

Thanks again for your help. I think I can do it without screwing up!!!
Cheers
Paul

This image from earlier in this thread shows where to cut the slot for the E-Clip. The slot goes hard up against the edge of the barrel where it changes diameter down.
I cut the slot all the way round the metal barrel and ensured it was deep enough for the clip to slot into and grip tight. Make sure your hack saw has a new blade so that it cuts a neat slot.
cheers and good luck
Dave
13085-2ed26a15e7a6b2bcc20e3a17445c8c39.jpg

This image from earlier in this thread shows where to cut the slot for the E-Clip. The slot goes hard up against the edge of the barrel where it changes diameter down.
I cut the slot all the way round the metal barrel and ensured it was deep enough for the clip to slot into and grip tight. Make sure your hack saw has a new blade so that it cuts a neat slot.
cheers and good luck
Dave
13085-2ed26a15e7a6b2bcc20e3a17445c8c39.jpg
Thanks Dave, I missed that photo! The e-clips arrived today, so I’ll have ago later this week once the rain has stopped!
I really appreciate your help.
Cheers
Paul

Good luck Paul. Let me know how you get on.
cheers
Dave

Well at last have had the time to fix it! It was really quite easy with the only aggravation being the alignment of the torx screws with the holes. The last screw was very tight and took some turning.
Thanks again Dave for your help and to all those on the thread who contributed to the fine tuning.
Cheers
Paul

Can anyone help today my handle for my clk w208 roof came loose been locking in forum and people say it can be fixed cheaply also passenger window and seat work intermittently tried changing door module works then stops again but most important is fixing roof

Dhillier, the fix for the roof handle is very easy! I was very wary about fixing mine, but I followed Dave Allinson’s posts and the photos from ZXRichie and others in this thread and it worked perfectly. Total cost was about £4. Apart from Torx screwdrivers no special tools required.
Just read the thread from the first post on page 1 through to page3 to get the issues and method clear in your head.
Sorry can’t help with the window and seat problems, but my seat too works intermittently, so I’d be interested in any fix.
Good luck, but the handle fix is really very easy thanks to the guys who have posted their methods.
Cheers
Paul

Dhillier, the fix for the roof handle is very easy! I was very wary about fixing mine, but I followed Dave Allinson’s posts and the photos from ZXRichie and others in this thread and it worked perfectly. Total cost was about £4. Apart from Torx screwdrivers no special tools required.
Just read the thread from the first post on page 1 through to page3 to get the issues and method clear in your head.
Sorry can’t help with the window and seat problems, but my seat too works intermittently, so I’d be interested in any fix.
Good luck, but the handle fix is really very easy thanks to the guys who have posted their methods.
Cheers
Paul
cheers Paul

Hi Folks
refit both head linings.
JOB DONE

Dave i could do with help not very good with mechanical things and very nervous about not be able to put roof back

To Everyone else, i'm sorry but i dont think i can be of any use on this problem, no car, no parts, no memory, no outlook...
if you bring the car to me i'm sure it would come flooding back.

Rich
rich is your offer of help still available

Good luck Paul. Let me know how you get on.
cheers
Dave
Hi Dave can you send me any info and photos of how to do the soft top handle many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom