COMAND <-> AUX port .... data bus ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
It appears that the AUX port on COMAND takes advantage of an obscure data protocol which allows song names to be transmitted along with analog music.

A friend plugged in a Mini-Disc (SONY) into the AUX and behold, the song name appeared on the COMAND.

Does anyone else have more information on this function ? I have read about it before but dont know where.

Does anyone else have similar results ?

Amazing . . . that must be very obscure ! Must be unique to minidisc, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with an iPod - although haven't wired mine up yet.

Flyer ?

S.

I've connected my ipod to COMAND in 2000 W208 via the auxillary port. Alas no song names ... still I've noticed that the sound is considerably louder and pretty good quality (to my fairly average ears at least).

sym said:
Amazing . . . that must be very obscure ! Must be unique to minidisc, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with an iPod - although haven't wired mine up yet.

Flyer ?

S.

As Dodger says, 'fraid not. I'm struggling to understand where it would say the track name though - as you know, you access the aux port through the SYS menu, where it just says "Auxilliary" (or something like that!). I can't understand how/why Blaupunkt would have embedded a data carrier onto an audio signal ??? In fact, I would have thought was only available through S/PDIF?

miro, your friend wasn't playing a practical joke was he? ;)

Flyer said:
As Dodger says, 'fraid not. I'm struggling to understand where it would say the track name though - as you know, you access the aux port through the SYS menu, where it just says "Auxilliary" (or something like that!). I can't understand how/why Blaupunkt would have embedded a data carrier onto an audio signal ??? In fact, I would have thought was only available through S/PDIF?

I will have another look. Just to be sure of it !

I would be very interested if it is possible. I have connected three MP3 players via AUX and not seen this effect.

Flyer said:

I use my aux port almost exclusively for my minidisc player, also a Sony, and have never had any track info come up. I have tried it in a variety of MB models.

As Flyer and Dodger say, your sure your mate ain't pulling your leg?

Would be cool if it did though....

The AUX socket is connected by 3 audio wires (left, right and shared ground) plus a shield...no way that the song info can appear on the comand screen...that would be very obscure!!!

greetingz,

Sorry to be stupid - but where is the aux port located ? I have a CLK 208 with comand

jahewitt said:
Sorry to be stupid - but where is the aux port located ? I have a CLK 208 with comand

it will be in the glovebox on the left hand side by the door

See picture CLICKY HERE

You may not have an AUX port - if not it is fairly easy to mod, costing around £20 from a dealer for the loom.

jahewitt said:
Thanks - so I need to get the cable from the dealer ?

yeah. see HERE for info on how to fit etc

I tried to purchase the aux cable for my W203 from the Merc dealer in Oxford, and the guy in the parts deppartment didn't know what I was on about. :mad:

ckember said:
I tried to purchase the aux cable for my W203 from the Merc dealer in Oxford, and the guy in the parts deppartment didn't know what I was on about. :mad:

typical parts dept....... just give them the part number tyhat is in the thread i linked to and it should be fine

ckember said:

EPC section 82 - COMAND harness - look in the corner.

Thanks for the info. I have seen the thread and will try to get the dealer to order one

I appear to have the connection in the left hand side of the glove box - do I just need a phono to phone lead to connect to this ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom