Considering a C63 Remap need some experienced advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ilovethiscity

Car
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Good afternooon gentlemen,

I did search this one but found some mixed answers, I have had my car only 6-8 weeks and absolutely loving it. I am however living and working in central london and over the 500 miles I have done I am averaging 7-8mpg :eek::eek::eek:

My first and biggest worry is that if I do a remap will it drop to 4-5mpg territory?

My second concern is would I then need a LSD fitted to keep it safe (which is a concern for me as any bravado aside I am 26 years old and this thing is a BEAST I certainly don't want it any more tail happy!)

I am sorry if this has been covered a thousand times if I was averaging even 18 mpg I wouldn't have asked I promise :thumb:

I haven't noticed any drop in MPG since my EC Map. Anyway the difference in the car is worth it :thumb:

LSD is next on my list and is highly regarded as one of the essential mods. Just go slightly easier on the throttle (which is probably no issue in London) and you will be fine :D

I agree with TJR an LSD is an essential mod imo, my E63 has one and I was out with my mate test driving a CLS 63 without one, I'd forgotten how different it was driving a 63 without one, as you say VERY tail happy :eek:

More power = LSD a must :thumb:

Thank you both for your informative answers, as expected I think I will save a bit so I can have them both done at the same time.. probably my best bet!

Thanks again :thumb:

Would be happy to help when your ready on both the remap and a Quaife LSD we have them in stock.

Would be happy to help when your ready on both the remap and a Quaife LSD we have them in stock.

Amazing news I am in London so absolutely perfect! I use my car for work so next time funds are available and I have a few days off I will get it booked in!

Question for people who did remap and LSD, how much your insurance went up?

I'm with Admiral and paid around £600 on multi-policy with no NCD on this car. I will be coming off multi-policy in September and adding 7y NCD. I wonder if it's worth waiting with any upgrades until then.

Also, what about MB, car is leased, any problems with modifications when returning the car?

SavMan@EC said:

Hi, I will also be looking at a remap in a few months for my C63. I have seen on eBay My Genius Tuning boxes for £265 is it possible to use one of these to put back to stock for warranty work etc? then flash back again?

the version they are selling is Release A-12 (04/05/2012)

Hi, I will also be looking at a remap in a few months for my C63. I have seen on eBay My Genius Tuning boxes for £265 is it possible to use one of these to put back to stock for warranty work etc? then flash back again?

the version they are selling is Release A-12 (04/05/2012)

Hi. I think the map is specific to a car. I believe EC could reprog' a used my genius for you at a cost

I am 27 and had mine from new, got a remap within 4 weeks of it being new and its like a totally different car, Mine doesn't have an LSD and seems ok but is useless in the wet.

Best mod ive done to a car and it changes the exhaust sound too!

PenelopePitstop said:
Question for people who did remap and LSD, how much your insurance went up? I'm with Admiral and paid around £600 on multi-policy with no NCD on this car. I will be coming off multi-policy in September and adding 7y NCD. I wonder if it's worth waiting with any upgrades until then. Also, what about MB, car is leased, any problems with modifications when returning the car?

Whilst I can't speak directly about a remap or lsd I can give you some insight. When I changed my exhaust system I informed MB insurance who applied no extra premium but did note the modification. It was deemed (aurally) cosmetic rather than significantly performance enhancing whereas a remap would have attracted a premium due to additional performance gains. I suspect an LSD would be treated similarly as it is effectively an enhanced safety feature rather than a performance modification.

I can't see why you would need to tell the insurance company about the LSD. Yes for the re map but I can't see it making much difference to the premium. My premium only went up by 300 pounds when I fitted the supercharger which more or less added 200bhp to the car

When I declared my mods I tried to argue the point that an LSD was an enhanced safety feature as you said rsk21 and thus should achieve a premium discount :D didn't wash with them it didn't increase it either mind just noted as an other than standard modification.

On declaring my exhaust, remap, spoiler, LSD ect my premium went up by near as damn it £200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom