Corroded rear subframe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One thing you could do ( or get the mechanic to do) is that before the new subframe is fitted, get it sprayed inside ( especially inside) and out with a good protective coating. There are several good coating available for this if you google it. I remember once upon a time, there was a long flexible probe, with a type of head on it, that resembled the head on a drain jetter, and it sprayed literally in every direction.....if you drilled a small hole in a 25 ltr container, and inserted it, every square inch internally would be covered. At the time, we used a protective wax. It was liquid in form , but hardened enough to form a thick protective coating.
Waxoil ! I did an old van with it once , heated the 5lt tin up in hot water, sprayed it on a hot day . Was dripping out every nook and cranny of the doors and bodywork for a while until it went solid :D

Waxoil ! I did an old van with it once , heated the 5lt tin up in hot water, sprayed it on a hot day . Was dripping out every nook and cranny of the doors and bodywork for a while until it went solid :D
Petrol Pete..... anyone who mentions "waxoyl" ( or Waxoil) is making a statement about men "of a certain age...." :D :D :D The ones who remember it, that is !!!

Petrol Pete..... anyone who mentions "waxoyl" ( or Waxoil) is making a statement about men "of a certain age...." :D :D :D The ones who remember it, that is !!!

'When I was a lad'.... graphite grease was the new kid on the block, for use in high temperature applications such as spark plug threads and the back of disc pads.... since them copper grease came and went... now there's a special paste for the pads and the plugs are fitted dry. They call it Progress.

You can still get it , at one time I think it might have been the only such product readily available to the general public. loads of alternatives around these days. Let's face it if Brylcreem and Brut aftershave are still available , so why not Waxoyl !? :p

Waxoyl has it's uses but It's not the most sophisticated product these days. Waxoyl is a simple mix of oil, wax and white spirit. I've often made it myself in the past by melting old candles and adding whatever spare oil I happen to have on the shelf plus white spirit to thin it. After application the white spirit evaporates off leaving the yellow oily wax behind. It's really just a way of apply oil to a surface that won't wash off. And since when did anything near an oil leak under the car ever go rusty.

ps
If you have full Mercedes Benz dealer service history
Ans) No I don't , so obviously Mercedes will try and wriggle out . So in other words, if you don't, your sub frame will rot in under 13 years!
Surely you don't need a full dealership service history because, didn't the European whatsit change the rules that you can take your vehicle to any garage for warranty and service ?

Surely you don't need a full dealership service history because, didn't the European whatsit change the rules that you can take your vehicle to any garage for warranty and service ?
At the age of these cars, you're in goodwill territory. However, I suspect MB are doing most of them to avoid a recall.

Ernie

It means that MB cannot deny claims made under their new car warranty (currently 3 years).

But they can do what they like with regards anything else. And this including additional warranties or services during the first 3 years which are provided on top of the new car warranty, or any warranty that applies after the first 3 years expired. In these cases, they can stipulate any conditions they like, including dealer servicing etc.

The rear subframe failing after 10 years is certainly not part of any new car warranty (regardless if it's covered by the 30-year anti perforation warranty, or just offered by MB as goodwill gesture).

Well they are still swapping airbags for free SIL's 2011 C class has just been recalled for a replacwment

Thats a safety issue too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom