Damaged seat at MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the heated seat pads are integrated into the leather seat cover.

I think the heated seat pads are integrated into the leather seat cover.
On my EPC it’s a 3 part pad that sticks to the seat foam, both bolsters and seat pad.

Fair enough - I think on other MB seats I’ve seen it integrated with the cover. Probably worth checking carefully then (along with the foam/base)

So you can have all the state of the art MB Dealership buildings, flashy showrooms, groomed to the last salespeople and receptionists, and then fall down on the quality of the actual service staff..something wrong in their priorities some where.

I can do most myself but when it’s under warranty I have no choice.
No idea why the door card came off when Star clearly said fault with door soft close module current and stored.
Hi. , Problem as I see it that people seem to think that Star is infalable with fault finding but clearly is not.

Not try to be confrontial

Hi. , Problem as I see it that people seem to think that Star is infalable with fault finding but clearly is not.

Not try to be confrontial
No sure what you mean?
I plugged in my Star and it found a fault in the door actuator module, current and stored, could make no actuation with it.
It went to MB and they diagnosted the same but took the door card off, they have no parts so could not fix it anyway.

No sure what you mean?
I plugged in my Star and it found a fault in the door actuator module, current and stored, could make no actuation with it.
It went to MB and they diagnosted the same but took the door card off, they have no parts so could not fix it anyway.
Hi , I don't know how the second sentence comment was made re being confrontational !

I do feel for you re your seat issue as a MB dealer slightly scratched the surface of my front wing ( and will buff out ) .

I just feel that people put in to much reliance on a star type systems to solve car problems.

Star is a very sophisticated and complex tool that takes a lot of understanding. It wont actually solve anything for you unless you know what you are doing, every time I use mine it teaches me something new.

Star is a very sophisticated and complex tool that takes a lot of understanding. It wont actually solve anything for you unless you know what you are doing, every time I use mine it teaches me something new.
Same with any OBD diagnostic system tools. You will learn a lot by using them, seeing that very few give detailed step by step instructions on their use. On my iCarsoft MB11 ( a good if basic bit if kit), nothing- on the iCarsoft MB CR Pro, its a little better ( "little being the operative word" ) the instruction booklet is tiny... literally. and while it does give step by step instructions, you will need a magnifying glass to read them. Still, better than nothing..... :confused:

Last edited:
Hi , I don't know how the second sentence comment was made re being confrontational !

I do feel for you re your seat issue as a MB dealer slightly scratched the surface of my front wing ( and will buff out ) .

I just feel that people put in to much reliance on a star type systems to solve car problems.
Lots me mate, no idea what your on about?

state of the art MB Dealership buildings, flashy showrooms, groomed to the last salespeople and receptionists,

Over the years, I've used, in the UK, 2 independents whose premises are pretty basic: one in Wimbledon and one in Horndean. And one in Worthing who does now have a smart showroom for cars for sale but when I first used him in the '70s things were very basic.

These are the people who know the job. And, as I understand it, you can take your MB (or anything) to a recognised garage, without risking your warranty. True?

RayH

..And, as I understand it, you can take your MB (or anything) to a recognised garage, without risking your warranty. True?

True. Though the reality is that the majority of new cars get serviced at a franchised dealer for the first 3 years (and sometimes it's a requirement of the lease company).

Your not kidding, I lost it with them, some young chick fluttering her eyes, oh I will take a picture and send it to the service manager! She clearly knew it’s was there, just hoping I would not see it.
What's baffling about these incidents (both the seat damage and the failure to refit the door card / trim properly) is that the damage / faults are impossible to ignore, yet the car has been returned to the customer anyway, with no prior explanation or apology. Pathetic, and completely unacceptable, quality standards.

Edited to add:

Everyone who ever works on things has a "bad day" every now and then and something goes wrong. The key to dealing with that is honesty and confession, then putting it right with the least disruption to the customer possible. Had that been the case, the Service Manager would have carried out the hand-back of the car with a profuse apology for the damage, advising that they have a new seat cover on order and offering to collect the car at the customer's convenience to replace it. The SM would also have noticed the poorly refitted trim and either had that rectified on the spot or would have 'fessed up to that too with a further grovelling apology and commitment to fix it when the seat cover is replaced.

That none of this happened implies that a dishonest incompetent was responsible for the whole sorry saga.

Last edited:
The way i see it, this thread is nothing really to do with Star at all,
(is it?) It's to do with the bl00dy hole in the seat, filthy seat and general shoddy work, and rightly, zenman63 is fuming, and who wouldn't be.

Not just Mercedes, don't think any of them care, its the way the world is. Couple of years ago as I work away, my Range Rover was picked up for a service by the service manager as it was on his way to work. He returned it & my wife asked him if he could just put it in the garage which he did. I returned at the weekend & as soon as I opened the door I saw an oily hand print on the white dash leather, climbed aboard and there was a matching one on the white passenger seat.. Phoned the Service manager on the Monday, first thing he said what a beautiful car you have, then I told him about the handprints. "Oh I never noticed that when I delivered the car back". He had only driven it 16 miles, the distance from the garage to my home. It was picked up within the hour & sorted out. When it came back, the delivery guy went all over it with my wife to make sure she was happy. He said the mechanic had received the biggest "censored" ever & given a warning. Service manager phoned me apologising again & said they had put fuel into it. They sure did, about 1 gallon which covered the 32 miles covered picking it up & delivering it back. You've got to laugh:)

True. Though the reality is that the majority of new cars get serviced at a franchised dealer for the first 3 years (and sometimes it's a requirement of the lease company).
While I'm not an expert on MB warranty (or anyone else either) Law, I 've read some where that once your Indy uses and can prove he used approved MB parts, the warranty is still good. But I'm open to discussion on the subject .

All well and good in theory. But when you need to claim on the MB warranty, where does the car go? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom