Damaged seat at MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Using the dealers also gives you a better chance that, when your rear subframe rots from the inside out and snaps in half dangerously at 8 years old, the fact you have ideally used the same dealer for the past 8 years means you might (maybe) have a better chance of a goodwill offer of repairing the part with a Mercedes contribution or free of charge.

Without a Mercedes warranty, I would still rather use highly trusted independents, save myself hassle and money over those years, and put away a pot of money from some of the savings to repair said subframe or whatever.
Possibly a different proposition with a V8 AMG, I grant you.

Using the dealers also gives you a better chance that, when your rear subframe rots from the inside out and snaps in half dangerously at 8 years old, the fact you have ideally used the same dealer for the past 8 years means you might (maybe) have a better chance of a goodwill offer of repairing the part with a Mercedes contribution or free of charge.

Without a Mercedes warranty, I would still rather use highly trusted independents, save myself hassle and money over those years, and put away a pot of money from some of the savings to repair said subframe or whatever.
Possibly a different proposition with a V8 AMG, I grant you.
The subframes themselves are not a serviceable part, but the fittings are. Bushings, springs, arms etc are all subject to normal wear and tear and replacement. The subframes are supposed to be designed for the life of the vehicle, and any design which doesn't meet this criteria is not fit for purpose, and should be covered under warranty. And even more so in a critical integral part of the car. I still see old 1980 Ford Cortinas with the subframes in perfect working condition. In modern MBs, I presume that this problem has been rectified by now.

I can do most myself but when it’s under warranty I have no choice.
No idea why the door card came off when Star clearly said fault with door soft close module current and stored.
By any chance was the stored fault code 990915 for the door problem? It has appeared on my Eclass scan and reads:- " The output for actuator motor, additional door lock has a malfunctional. There is a short circuit to positive or an open circuit" Or can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Sorry to hear and see of your damage done to your seat.

This is why I like using my independent for a number of years now. He isn't on the digital MB database to upload service work or any work done to the car.

But he has and currently own high end cars , and he's work is brilliant. Been using him for over 15 years. Himself and another two guys who work for him are very good.

He actually owned a 06 E55K saloon for many years. Sold that recently for a nearly new M5. He was debating to get the 5.5 TT E63 but he wanted a change he said. When I ask him how he finds the M5 he says, the M5 is more set up for the track than the E63 but the E63 drives better and more forgiving. He's not disappointed, he just fancied a change. He also owns a few track cars, and some vintage stuff. He is a really good and helpful independent.

While I'm not an expert on MB warranty (or anyone else either) Law, I 've read some where that once your Indy uses and can prove he used approved MB parts, the warranty is still good. But I'm open to discussion on the subject .

Last time I looked into it last year, it was still the same as it's been for a while i.e. the garage needed to be VAT-registered, use MB parts and follow service schedules (where applicable on the last one).

It's been this for a long time although I'm sure I once read it was a case you could use non-OEM parts if they met the same specification or better than OEM.

Although that, I imagine, is a nightmare trying to prove in the event of a dispute! Although I use MB OEM parts anyway so won't be something I have to concern myself about.

I've also had a 2.75 year old CL serviced at an inde without it affecting warranty claims.

It's been this for a long time although I'm sure I once read it was a case you could use non-OEM parts if they met the same specification or better than OEM.

I believe that this is true for some countries (US and Australia among others), but not for EU and UK where Block Exemption stipulates genuine parts.

By any chance was the stored fault code 990915 for the door problem? It has appeared on my Eclass scan and reads:- " The output for actuator motor, additional door lock has a malfunctional. There is a short circuit to positive or an open circuit" Or can anyone shed some light on the subject?
You done get a code as such but similar messages.
You can here a motor run as you close the door but just don’t pull in like the rest.

OK, and what part are they replacing in your car? Thanks for your reply
soft close actuator module

Car went to MB for some warranty work and on hand over left with this!
Grubby and a good hole in the seat cover.
£739 for a new one.
Master tec lol.
Hi , I have been driving for more years than I care to remember.

I have never know a garage admit to a problem caused by them.( Many know doubt do own up to damage caused ) The technician hopes that the customer does not the damage until the car leaves the premises and the problem is deniable.

l would ask to speak to the technician who worked on your car and ask him how this happened.

Refusal to you request equals guilt in my book.

All well and good in theory. But when you need to claim on the MB warranty, where does the car go? :)
Hi , spot on. A few years ago I was in my local Mazda dealer when this very topic rose it head.The customer infront of me had an warranty issue and was asked which Mazda dealer serviced the car.

I don't have to have the car serviced by Mazda / EU block exception etc etc spouted out.

Quite correct sir , however the car has not been correctly serviced.

Next customer please ( a precis of over heard conversation ) but really funny for me but not the sod on the receiving end.

Hi , spot on. A few years ago I was in my local Mazda dealer when this very topic rose it head.The customer infront of me had an warranty issue and was asked which Mazda dealer serviced the car.

I don't have to have the car serviced by Mazda / EU block exception etc etc spouted out.

Quite correct sir , however the car has not been correctly serviced.

Next customer please ( a precis of over heard conversation ) but really funny for me but not the sod on the receiving end.
I must be missing the punchline, how was that situation really funny for you?

Hi guys.
Seat cover has arrived and just picked it up, no questions, they never volunteered to fit it but I can do that.
Nice to see it’s identical and on clips, no hog rings.

Well done I was wondering what was happening about your seat,did the garage put the door card right as it was not fitted very well.

Well done I was wondering what was happening about your seat,did the garage put the door card right as it was not fitted very well.
No I will do the door card.
The soft close, what it went if for diagnostics, they ordered a new door latch, it’s also arrived and I am fitting that tomorrow.
It’s a mission as the door has what they call a door module, it’s a hard plastic liner and it contains the window regulator, so it’s a full door strip to get at the latch, glass has to be held up in the door etc.

I can’t believe they didn’t offer to fit the new seat cover, shocking!

If the car is under warranty, what is the reason you’re fitting the latch, lack of trust?
Yes gave up with them, never had a call to say anything just from the service manager over a week ago to say he’s ordered a new cover.
I had to chase it up in parts.
Tried calling and always busy, no response to emails nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom