Decent alternative to hozelock attachments?

MB James

Car
V-Class V250
Whenever I use my nilfisk jet wash, the hose attachments disconnect from the tap or the connection at the hose reel after a couple of minutes of use. Its the pressure from the nilfisk that causes it. Are there any stronger attachments I can use instead of hozelock? I'm also using the standard soft hose.

renault12ts

MB Club Veteran
Car
2005 W215 CL500.
Hozelock are usually very sturdy. But they do get copied and those ones may not be as good.

But surely the pressure from the washer comes after the water has gone through the machine...not at the tap or hose reel?

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Hozelock are usually very sturdy. But they do get copied and those ones may not be as good.

This. I had issues using some older cheap stuff, which was great for a normal hose, but couldn't cope with the pressure washer. Put the genuine item on it (yellow ones if it makes a difference) and it's been fine since.

But surely the pressure from the washer comes after the water has gone through the machine...not at the tap or hose reel?

Absolutely; I think it's the instant on/off which causes it. From full pressure going through the machine to zero as soon as the trigger is released, unlike a hose which is marginally slowed down first.

OP
OP
MB James

MB James

Car
V-Class V250
I'm using genuine hozelock gear. Like you say, I think its the instant pressure.
Sometimes the female attachment comes away from the male attachment on the reel. Sometimes the hose disconnects from the attachment. Either way it's bloody annoying when it happens. I might try the brass connectors. Perhaps I'll buy are more solid hose as well.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Hmmmm. My high-powered Nilfisk works fine with my Hozelock attachments.
Sounds more like your water pressure is too high? Does the connection "blow" when you let go of the trigger?
You can change the hose connection on the washer to a Hoselock one.
We always use Hoselock despite being in trade, due to compatibility issues with cross-branding (everyone has Hoselock!!).
You can get an upgraded female hose end connector - instead of the knurled compression fitting they have an elongated "skirt" - also seem a bit more robust and a more positive action. Try those?
But you do need to look at the condition of your male connectors at the tap and the washer.

Last edited:

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
geka fittings are what agricultural and horticulture people use.

use genuine or at least high quality seals in cheap bodies for watertightness. available with tails, threads, one way valves, swivels, you name it.

eg

http://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/ho...on-products/geka-and-geka-type-couplings.html

didnt know they did these, which are geka, but with screw onto hose type fitting, like hozelock
http://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/ho...ings/geka-castle-grip-hose-tail-13mm-1-2.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
MB James

MB James

Car
V-Class V250
Yes its the pressure thats too high. I think I'll try that new Hozelock end connector, thanks JohnnyBoy. Failing that I'll go with the geka ones.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
CLS 500 / A 150
We use hose lock connectors at work on 5000lph pumps that we drop into the river to power the pressure washers in areas where there isn't hose access. They never pop off ?

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Yes its the pressure thats too high. I think I'll try that new Hozelock end connector, thanks JohnnyBoy. Failing that I'll go with the geka ones.
Can't you put a ballofix valve or a regulator in behind the tap?

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
the geka stuff has a much bigger hole than hozelock plastic fittings, which becomes relevant with long runs or low pressure.

OP
OP
MB James

MB James

Car
V-Class V250
Simple fix to the problem. I've done away with the hozelock reel which had about 10m of hose wrapped around. Cut off a length to go straight from the tap to the nilfisk. Pressure doesn't seem to build up so much and the hose stays attached.
Result and it didn't cost anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom