differential leak, weep from PAS pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

diana123

:cool: I recently took my year 2000 E320CDI (71000 miles) for A service and the report came back there was 'slight weep from PAS Pump' & 'slight leak from Diff'. The customer services chap adviced me that it would be over £1000 to repair the diff (what's this?) but there was no need to repair it right away as "we won't let you drive away a car that we think is unsafe to drive". Is this something I can live with or would I be looking at expensive repair later on?

diana123 said:
:cool: I recently took my year 2000 E320CDI (71000 miles) for A service and the report came back there was 'slight weep from PAS Pump' & 'slight leak from Diff'. The customer services chap adviced me that it would be over £1000 to repair the diff (what's this?) but there was no need to repair it right away as "we won't let you drive away a car that we think is unsafe to drive". Is this something I can live with or would I be looking at expensive repair later on?

If I were you I'd take it to an indi and get it sorted out, it should be a fairly cheap and easy job, and saves a dead diff...

The seals in question are about £20 so there's a lot of labour here to make it £1000. The job should take approximately three hours so work it out for yourself.

nick mercedes said:
If I were you I'd take it to an indi and get it sorted out, it should be a fairly cheap and easy job, and saves a dead diff...

Thanks, what range of price would be 'fairly cheap' and roughly how many hours would be an 'easy job'? Also would Mercaid at Basildon be considered an 'Indi'?

diana123 said:
Also would Mercaid at Basildon be considered an 'Indi'?
Yes, and Waterhouse in Chelmsford. I believe some MercAid staff are ex-Waterhouse.

diana123 said:
:cool: and the report came back there was 'slight weep from PAS Pump' & 'slight leak from Diff'. The customer services chap adviced me that it would be over £1000 to repair the diff (what's this?)
I hope I have understood your question.

If you are actually asking what the differential is, then it is very, very basically the main bit of the back axle. It allows one wheel to spin at a different speed to the other. If you actually lay on the ground then it is the big hump right in the centre location of the back axle :) I am keeping the description simple simply because there are some very knowledgable people on this forum that could very easily baffle me with science :eek: Here is a picture, but it is NOT a Mercedes-Benz, but hopefully you will get the idea?

DCG6-TS-24_JPG.jpg

jaymanek said:
whatever it is, its not been put on the ramp very safely!
Good spotting.

Ive got a slight weep from my diff.From what im told its quite common to leak on the left side diff seal (when viewed from the rear).My mech has told me about £200 to repair,as the diff has to come off the car.Much cheaper that what you have been quoted.

glojo said:
I hope I have understood your question.

If you are actually asking what the differential is, then it is very, very basically the main bit of the back axle. It allows one wheel to spin at a different speed to the other. If you actually lay on the ground then it is the big hump right in the centre location of the back axle :) I am keeping the description simple simply because there are some very knowledgable people on this forum that could very easily baffle me with science :eek: Here is a picture, but it is NOT a Mercedes-Benz, but hopefully you will get the idea?

DCG6-TS-24_JPG.jpg

And what a strange anti-roll bar setup. A live rear axlewith leaf springs and a very short anti-roll bar which won't have much effect. It has to be american.

Luckily I simply posted this picture to point out where the diff is located ;) Thankfully it is in the right place, although that front wheel is frightening. I keep looking at the picture just to make sure it hasn't fallen off the lift!

Looks like this one might have a bit of a problem!!

Magnum2.jpg

Regards,
John

Last edited:
Dieselman said:
And what a strange anti-roll bar setup. A live rear axlewith leaf springs and a very short anti-roll bar which won't have much effect. It has to be american.
Can't be an ARB if it's mounted to a solid axle and nothing else...

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

bolide said:
Can't be an ARB if it's mounted to a solid axle and nothing else...

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk
The free ends are on the body in front of the axle. What a strange thing to do to mount it to the floorpan. It's a good job it's not doing much work it would fracture the floorpan.

this is the sort of job Steve, the Kent MB engineer loves :)

Dieselman said:
The free ends are on the body in front of the axle. What a strange thing to do to mount it to the floorpan. It's a good job it's not doing much work it would fracture the floorpan.
I didn't see the links to the floorpan before. Strange setup, isn't it?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

bolide said:
I didn't see the links to the floorpan before. Strange setup, isn't it?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

The differential on my C-Class has been 'weeping' for at least 3 years. I always have it checked at the MOT and service time (in other words about every 6 months) It has been topped up once.

The rest of the car is serviced to MB specs, including the long-term ownership items (antifreeze change, brake fluid changes). I am prepared to spend money where necessary, but not where there is no benefit for the cost incurred.

Tim

If the leak is more of a weep as in Glojo's photo it might be worth checking the diff breather valve it may be blocked causing pressure to build up in use due to heat and expansion which could cause the seal to weep, I'd check the breather keep an eye on the leak (weep) and the oil level and not spend until the leak (?) develops

pluggers said:
Ive got a slight weep from my diff.From what im told its quite common to leak on the left side diff seal (when viewed from the rear).My mech has told me about £200 to repair,as the diff has to come off the car.Much cheaper that what you have been quoted.

Very interesting. Your £200 seems reasonable. Did you get yours repaired? Anybody any ideas on the worst case scenario (i.e. if you don't get it repaired)?
:confused:

After tolerating a diff weep on my E320 Coupé for several years (heeding the calming advice of my mechanic -- "they're all a bit leaky, so don't panic"), I've had it done. It took him over four hours (I think he did some other bits & bobs too), the parts cost about £26, and we're both glad we did it because it was pretty mucky in there after ten years untouched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom