Do you indicate on roundabout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Debating indicator/roundabout etiquette is all well and good but it's 2015 not 1960. Manners, patience and consideration for others are as endagered as common sense.

As far as i can tell the common approach to driving in general is to ignore the indicator as you can't (in order of importance) use twitface/the internet, eat/drink, steer and indicate at the same time. Obviously no one is thinking about anyone else but if they did the assumption would be that noone would see you indicate anyway as everyone else is also engrossed in twitfacing about the dump they had at work

Factor in the chaved up supermarket assault vehicle/diesel repmobile with AMG/M sport/S-line badges is rented so you aren't thinking about how long it took to save up for it and it's got eleventy million airbags in it so you feel invicible anyway and the stage is set for how to tackle a roundabout in 2015, whether it's a city rush hour or a shopping centre at the weekend...

On no account should you pick a lane based on which direction you're going in. Ever. Lane choice is about picking the one with the shortest queue or ideally the fastest moving one. At this stage there's two distinct choices depending on whether you're a nervous waste of skin or a self important waste of skin. The former create chaos by trying to get into the correct lane before they reach the front of the roundabout while the later create chaos after joining the roundabout.
There is a rarely seen third option for the very few who possess a brain that isn't totally devoted to anything other than the (real) task at hand... if the shortest queue is the right hand lane then the fastest and safest/least frustrating way is often to take that one and go all the way around the roundabout if you wanted to turn left. The few in this third category do tend to use indicators appropriately but obviously that doesn't stop self important wastes of skin from pulling out without looking and/or getting all road ragey 'cause they think it's illegal they didn't think of it

Can't be long before the highway code is added to nav guidance, given the car knows where it is, where it's going and therefore which lane it should be in and which signals to apply.

Meanwhile, I see Elon Musk is personally interviewing software engineers in an attempt to improve Tesla's poorly performing self-driving system.

Once this type of thing becomes commonplace, I can see jailbreak hacks appearing on the market - "Hmmm, I think I'll load the inconsiderate b*stard module" - coincidentally, already planned for most Audi and BMW models.

Cheap I know.

+

So, in the driving test how do we think the examiner will feel if the examinee does not indicate when moving off...if there are no other cars about?

The examiner will be 'the other person around' will he not?

The examiner will be 'the other person around' will he not?

He is a passenger in the candidate's car , therefore not another road user - for the purposes of the test he is an unseen observer who should be treated as if he were not there .

What I have gained from reading many of these posts we seem to have a few very selfish irresponsible drivers driving Merc's ... Maybe similar to the BMW Drivers Thing ! Maybe a wee refresher course required for one or two.... Just saying .. :eek:

Smeesh....:cool:

It's just roundabouts, by nature slow moving traffic and very low risk.

It seems that the only issue here is feeling 'disrespect' from fellow motorists or despair because others aren't as knowledgeable as yourselves.

I put my hazards on when I'm going straight on at a roundabout.

I put my hazards on when I'm going straight on at a roundabout.

The way you drive you need hazards on all the time anyway! :D

It's just roundabouts, by nature slow moving traffic and very low risk.

It seems that the only issue here is feeling 'disrespect' from fellow motorists or despair because others aren't as knowledgeable as yourselves.

That's not what it's about at all.

Apart from some RAs being high speed it is to do with keeping traffic moving quickly & safely.

If you signal your intention to turn off a RA before crossing the path of another car that car can then proceed safely on it's way. If it knows you are going across it's path it can wait, plan it's next move & then proceed safely.

Indicators are mostly about the efficient flow & movement of traffic, especially at busy periods.

Last edited:
That's not what it's about at all.

Apart from some RAs being high speed it is to do with keeping traffic moving quickly & safely.

If you signal your intention to turn off a RA before crossing the path of another car that car can then proceed safely on it's way. If it knows you are going across it's path it can wait, plan it's next move & then proceed safely.

Indicators are mostly about the efficient flow & movement of traffic, especially at busy periods.

I don't disagree with any of that.

It's the tone of the thread I find a bit over dramatic.

lewyboy said:
I don't disagree with any of that. It's the tone of the thread I find a bit over dramatic.
Over dramatic or, in your opinion, of no importance. Thus implying that you consider the correct use of indicators irrelevant?

Of course, if the thread is too much for you, you could always ignore it (in much the same way you may ignore your indicator stalk?) ;)

Over dramatic or, in your opinion, of no importance. Thus implying that you consider the correct use of indicators irrelevant?

Of course, if the thread is too much for you, you could always ignore it (in much the same way you may ignore your indicator stalk?) ;)

If you think a thread like this worthy of time and effort then I guess you are free to patronise those that don't just as I am free to think those that do need to get a ****ing life!

If there is no need to signal when there is no one around, does it means that we don't need to stop at traffic lights when there is no one around too?

If there is no need to signal when there is no one around, does it means that we don't need to stop at traffic lights when there is no one around too?

It would be nice if that discretion were extended to competent drivers . However , failure to comply with an automatic traffic signal is a specific offence and often , even if there might be no one around to witness it , there might be a camera present to record the offence and send you a little 'commendation' through the post , so it would be most unwise to do so .

It would be nice if that discretion were extended to competent drivers . However , failure to comply with an automatic traffic signal is a specific offence and often , even if there might be no one around to witness it , there might be a camera present to record the offence and send you a little 'commendation' through the post , so it would be most unwise to do so .

So take a good look around for cameras first ;)

wongl said:
Reminds me of the time many years ago when I was in a taxi heading home from Heathrow in the early hours of the morning. I was thankful that the road was completely deserted as the driver completely ignored three consecutive sets of red lights on the A4, not even slowing in the slightest. Then as we approached a set of green lights he slowed to a stop! I had to ask why, to which he replied "My brother's out driving tonight".

(Not true of course, but something very similar though without the "brother" remark did happen to me when in a taxi in New Delhi during a rare quiet time. The driver must have wondered why I was laughing!)

Such an active imagination, very creative!

Really? This thread???? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

If you think a thread like this worthy of time and effort then I guess you are free to patronise those that don't just as I am free to think those that do need to get a ****ing life!

If you dont like a thread, or think its pointless then dont post. :doh:

Why you feel the need post, only to stir up trouble again and again? :dk:

cb1965, you seem a very angry little bunny?

Every single thread I see you post in, you seem to just want an argument?

Not sure if there is a back story, but just ignore it mate as you are not coming across too well.

cb1965 is the only person I have ever put on the ignore list in over 10 years here.

He needs to be bounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom