DVD - home cinema - recorder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
We have a Sony DAV-S800 that is now refusing to play audio CDs. It was replaced once while under warranty and has been trouble free ever since. We have also been thinking of a DVD recorder too but I can't seem to find one that also works as a home cinema.

Ideally I just want a to by the DVD unit as the speakers we have are fine. The connectors they have were factory fitted to fit specifically to the dvd unit - I'm not sure that they are generic at all - but I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

TIA:D

You have a number of options:

1) Get it repaired.
2) Sell the system and buy a new one.
3) Buy a new AV amp and DVD and keep the speakers. Retrofit banana plugs or just use binding posts on the new amp.
4) Buy a new DVD player / recorder and connect it through the DAV-S800 via a digital connection. This way you keep the same decoder and just need a cheapish DVD player to provide a digital signal.

Pammy,

Generally when you buy one of those Home cinemas kits its quite hard to replace or change the components. I am not totally sure about this but you could inquire at the shops about a Sony branded DVD Recorder/player and ask whether all 5 channels and subwoofer cables can be plugged into the DVD recorder/ player.

I am not sure whether the DVD Recorder/ player can splilt the audio signal to 5 channels for the 5 speakers you have. you may only get 2 channel sound.

Best to go into a shop and ask them to check all the inputs on the back of the player to see if all the cables can be plugged in.

Hope this helps

mmmm - I thought this wasn't an easy fix. Fortunately we have a Sony shop in Leeds so I'll have to take a wander up and ask them for their advice - wonder how much that'll sting me:D :D

For info I got a Panasonic HT1500 not so long ago - it does the surround sound thing with the amp in the sub woofing. It worked out about the same price as buying a separate DVD recorder & amp but meant less boxes sat under the TV. And it has a hard disk. Only down side is that whilst it will record on DVD/R if you want RW you need Panasonic DVD RAM disks, rather than Tesco's finest DVD/RW. Or just use the hard disk.

But it does come with all the speakers, so if you 'upgrade' you would be like me - with a cupboard full of redundant speakers.

I would personally wait for future the HD-DVD/ Blu-ray battle to happen before buying a new DVD player yet.

It will be at least 2 years before Blu Ray or HD DVD recorders become available at a sensible price - even the players won't be cheap - unless you get a PS3 in november!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom