E350 auto gearbox will not shift down on steep hill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorSparky

Car
E350 CDi sport saloon
Could someone help with this one, please.
I have a one year old E350 Sport Saloon. In general, the auto gearbox behaves itself, except on one stretch of road that I travel along about once a week. This road has a downhill gradient with a 40 mph speed limit for about a quarter of a mile, followed by a steep climb for another quarter of a mile. On the downhill part of the road, the car is in either 6th or 7th gear and doing 40mph, with the gearbox in Economy mode. As the car climbs the hill, the gearbox will not change down, so that by the time I reach the top, it is doing 20mph, the revs are about 1000rpm and the accelerator pedal is on the floor. Then finally, the gearbox will change down one (or is it two?) gears and the car takes off like a rocket - because the accelerator pedal is fully depressed by this time. If I do the same run in Sport mode, the gearbox changes down and the car flies up the hill with no problem. I can understand the intention of programming the car to keep it in high gear for economy purposes, but surely not when you want more power to climb a hill faster and your accelerator is nearly fully depressed to try and get it.
I took the car into my local MB garage. They did some`adjustments' (don't ask me what they did), but whatever they did, it didn't solve the problem.
Where do I go from here?

Take it back again, and tell them that their 'adjustments' have had no effect. Suggest also that they come out with you in your car on that section of road so that you can demonstrate the problem properly.

Doesn't sound right Major. As a work around I guess you can always force a change down by using the flappy paddles or push the stick to the left?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom