E63 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How did you find out its been up for 5 months out of interest, couldn't see that info anywhere, thanks
In the description area on the listing, click on 'View all revisions' - first listed October 2020

In the description area on the listing, click on 'View all revisions' - first listed October 2020
Thanks, I didn't know you could do that. Doesn't work on the phone app, had to view it in desktop version

What about this one in Maidstone?

Apparently been for sale since 30th April.

2019! :oops:

But, has only 1 owner since 2010 and MB dealer service. Lower mileage. Newer year.

Given that stint of ownership I would be totally shocked if it was known to this forum in some way.

Probably a bit of a trek, but if looking at this sort of very rare car, travel is an almost inevitable part of the process.

VIN from trader would help to confirm options, as traders often haven't a clue what they're selling apart from 'every conceivable extra' etc

What about this one in Maidstone?

Apparently been for sale since 30th April.

2019! :oops:

But, has only 1 owner since 2010 and MB dealer service. Lower mileage. Newer year.

Given that stint of ownership I would be totally shocked if it was known to this forum in some way.

Probably a bit of a trek, but if looking at this sort of very rare car, travel is an almost inevitable part of the process.

VIN from trader would help to confirm options, as traders often haven't a clue what they're selling apart from 'every conceivable extra' etc
I've looked at this add quite a few times, I think it looks like a great car.

I was just checking your autotrader date trick on this myself before I saw this post. Thought you were pulling my leg to start with because I was amazed it's not sold in 2 years nearly.

The travelling doesn't bother me (expect during lockdown). Only issue with it is it seems low spec and missing some things I'd like. Sounds like a cracker though which is a real shame.

I've looked at this add quite a few times, I think it looks like a great car.

Only issue with it is it seems low spec and missing some things I'd like. Sounds like a cracker though which is a real shame.
What are you looking for on the S211 specifically?
I assume you are able to tell from looking at the car that it doesn't have what you want. To my earlier point, don't trust anything traders write in their adds for this sort of thing as they usually don't have a clue. And as Ellen Ripley would no doubt recommend, "A datacard pulled from the VIN will confirm the options. It's the only way to be sure".

On the one I linked, it does looks like it has (from the limited, low resolution photos) alloys in good condition (no kerbing requiring refurb or knackering suspension components or geometry), good quality (Conti?) tyres, and brake calipers in fine condition. The leather also looks very good and clean, with only very minor scuffing to driver's bolster that could be fixed easily. Not huge in themselves, but I take as some signs of a careful owner. If I'm looking for a sentimentally precious car, butchered, gouged alloys and different varieties of the cheapest budget tyres on all for corners has me walking away. At this age and basically super car power, condition is everything, because otherwise it's possible to miss the fact it's teetering over the edge of an enormous money pit (in my mind, I'm having visions of something like the end of the Italian Job film, but with an E63 instead of a bus).
To be clear, I'm not pushing the car I linked in anyway. Just trying to help give you some food for thought on your search. I was 'only' looking for a W211 E320 CDI for 6 months, and what I wanted only turned up once and I missed it because I didn't jump on it in under 24 hours (I was arranged to view 36 hours after advertising!).

There's also the one in Bolton. Only been advertised a few days and no photos (£13,495). I take the no photos as a good head start because it means if I were looking I might be able to get the early first scoop on the car by making enquiries. I am going to guess that a lot of people would wait until photos go up?

What are you looking for on the S211 specifically?
I assume you are able to tell from looking at the car that it doesn't have what you want. To my earlier point, don't trust anything traders write in their adds for this sort of thing as they usually don't have a clue. And as Ellen Ripley would no doubt recommend, "A datacard pulled from the VIN will confirm the options. It's the only way to be sure".

On the one I linked, it does looks like it has (from the limited, low resolution photos) alloys in good condition (no kerbing requiring refurb or knackering suspension components or geometry), good quality (Conti?) tyres, and brake calipers in fine condition. The leather also looks very good and clean, with only very minor scuffing to driver's bolster that could be fixed easily. Not huge in themselves, but I take as some signs of a careful owner. If I'm looking for a sentimentally precious car, butchered, gouged alloys and different varieties of the cheapest budget tyres on all for corners has me walking away. At this age and basically super car power, condition is everything, because otherwise it's possible to miss the fact it's teetering over the edge of an enormous money pit (in my mind, I'm having visions of something like the end of the Italian Job film, but with an E63 instead of a bus).
To be clear, I'm not pushing the car I linked in anyway. Just trying to help give you some food for thought on your search. I was 'only' looking for a W211 E320 CDI for 6 months, and what I wanted only turned up once and I missed it because I didn't jump on it in under 24 hours (I was arranged to view 36 hours after advertising!).

There's also the one in Bolton. Only been advertised a few days and no photos (£13,495). I take the no photos as a good head start because it means if I were looking I might be able to get the early first scoop on the car by making enquiries. I am going to guess that a lot of people would wait until photos go up?
I really do agree with what you are saying regarding that car and appreciate the input. I think it looks like a cared for example and a sensible choice.

This might sound silly but I specifically want one with a sun roof and the dynamic massage seats. Vented seats would be nice as would remote boot open/close but not essential.

I wouldn't take a gamble on car that might have be neglected, as you say it could end up a money pit but I would like to get the spec I want. I'd rather wait for the right car to come on the market than buy one as a compromise. My budget is no more than 15k but less would be better.

Good spot on the Bolton car, hadn't seen that and will make some enquiries.

Just realised that Bolton car is a saloon which is no good for me. It has to be an estate.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, all those options are nice to have. I really like the electric tailgates, as it avoids muppets slamming the boot so hard they nearly give the driver (me) whiplash and nearly put the rear screen through.
When I was looking a year ago, I was umming and ahhing about the sunroof. Nice to have and I had panoramic in my last Merc, but exploding panaramic roof recalls, annual sunroof mechanism/rail maintenance and sunroof drains are all drags. I couldn't make my mind up on the roof so just crossed it off as a 'whatever' and in the end the car I bought doesn't have one, but wasn't a deciding factor at all.

I'll keep an eye out, as I'm regularly looking at E63s (although trying not to buy). I don't bother filtering any further than engine size, because so few are available so I see 211s and 212s.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, all those options are nice to have. I really like the electric tailgates, as it avoids muppets slamming the boot so hard they nearly give the driver (me) whiplash and nearly put the rear screen through.
When I was looking a year ago, I was umming and ahhing about the sunroof. Nice to have and I had panoramic in my last Merc, but exploding panaramic roof recalls, annual sunroof mechanism/rail maintenance and sunroof drains are all drags. I couldn't make my mind up on the roof so just crossed it off as a 'whatever' and in the end the car I bought doesn't have one, but wasn't a deciding factor at all.

I'll keep an eye out, as I'm regularly looking at E63s (although trying not to buy). I don't bother filtering any further than engine size, because so few are available so I see 211s and 212s.
Thanks I'm sure something will come up eventually. The longer it takes to find one the more money in the piggy bank so that's a bonus.
The 211 e63 estate must be pretty rare so not sure how often they come up for sale. I've been thinking of upgrading for a while but only this year have I seriously started to look so not got a handle on what's around yet.

Have you considered a 6.2 S212 also?

You can get some great specced/well optioned cars out there, and the panoramic sunroof and electric tailgate were both standard on those :thumb:

Later models (c. 2010 IIRC) should have the revised head bolts too.

As an owner of an S211, just following this too.
Vented seats, imho are not really worth bothering about, hardly noticeable when on. I have the glass sunroof which is nice, no problems with the recall on that. The lack of colours about was my problem, black or silver but fancied a blue. Ended up with Melanite..I am sure one will turn up, just be ready to pounce on it.

if you go to the trader's own website and click on the video, there's a shot of the VIN at about 5mins 45sec

You can get some great specced/well optioned cars out there, and the panoramic sunroof and electric tailgate were both standard on those :thumb:

212 is probably a great car and i didn't know those feature were standard but I just don't like the look of it. Gotta be a 211 I'm afraid plus I don't think I could afford a 212. I'd prefer an e55k if I can't find the right 63

I really like the colour of this one. Why it’s black interior is beyond me as it would look so good in chestnut brown or almond.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102239383367
View attachment 109476
Just saw this yesterday, really interesting colour. Not sure how nice it is but just great to see a not silver or black car.

Is it just me or does the s212 really grow on you. I was dead set on a s211 but the more I look the more I want a 212. Unfortunately they are out of my budget so I'm putting my purchase on hold till June ish time so I have save more in the car fun and get a nice 212.

There is a black s212 biturbo on AT at the minute that is a fantastic spec one owner car full MB service history for 22k that I wish I could stretch too. Luckily its miles away so iits not easy to look and get tempted to just buy it anyway lol

Change of plan, I think you are right! 212 would be a better buy and they've really grown on me. That's what I will be looking at from now on. Maybe the biturbo over 6.2 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom