E63 rear tyres, runflats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MACC

Car
2014 E63 Saloon
Hi All,

I need to get a pair of tyres for the rear of our 2014 E63. I'm going to stick with the Contis 5s but does anyone know if the MOE SSR runflat spec fits OK?

I don't see why not however with an already hard ride would the run flats make it worse?

I certainly wouldn't entertain run flats on an E63.

As mentioned, the ride is already hard and with the stiffer sidewalls you'll not only find it uncomfortable. You may then realise that Mercedes rims aren't the strongest that you can get. They will crack and split if you're lucky, if not then pieces will be flying off them.

For what it's worth, I had Eagle F1s on the back of mine and rated them highly.

As mentioned, the ride is already hard and with the stiffer sidewalls you'll not only find it uncomfortable. You may then realise that Mercedes rims aren't the strongest that you can get. They will crack and split if you're lucky, if not then pieces will be flying off them.

F1 2’s or 3’s?

F1 Asymmetric 2 Jules.

I thought that might be the case, hence the question, I'll scrub that idea then. Interesting what you say on the Goodyears as they are significantly cheaper too. What did you run on the front at the time? The Continentals on the front of mine are still fine and I don't really like mixing brands (physiological I now) so I was going to stick with the 5s again.

I'm going to stick with the Contis 5s
On mine I've run Conti 5P's, Pirelli P-Zeros, Michelin PA4's during winter and Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3's which are now my favourite summer tyre on the E63.

The Continentals on the front of mine are still fine
Have you checked the inside edge of the tread? It's worth a look as you may find that they're more worn than a casual look at the centre and outside edge would suggest.

Have you checked the inside edge of the tread? It's worth a look as you may find that they're more worn than a casual look at the centre and outside edge would suggest.
Hi, Yes, been over them today still plenty left, although less on the inside edge. The rears have around 4mm in the centre and nothing left at all on the insides.

Thanks for the replies on this, I've just ordered a full set of Eagle F1 asymmetric 3s. After the service last week, tax and insurance next week its a fairly costly toy at the moment!

Just curious if a car is set up to run, run flat tyres. Would changing to normal tyres ruin handling/ride comfort or actually improve ride comfort?

Cheers

It notably improves the ride and handling. Did it on my previous BMWs and carried a can of goo but never needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom