Fault code readers... Worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quasarman

Car
C320 Avantgarde SE Estate
Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with the basic plug press read fault code reader/clearer as available on ebay for ~£50?

I have a LPG system on my W203 320 (2002) and sometimes this will cause the engine to misfire and light up that lovely amber engine check light. This always shows random misfire cylinder x. The car runs perfectly well petrol.

I am therefore considering buying one of these but am unsure as to whether it would actually do the job.

The car is currently in for a major service (B with my mechanic) to include new plugs also which may solve the problem anyway and if it doesn't it will be going back for an LPG tune up as its still under warranty. For now I'm just wanting some help as to what I would need to look for in a FCR

PS the reader I'm considering is ebay item no 250352911236

I would prefer to know the engine check light is only on for the misfire situation then clear it just in case other faults crop up!

Yes worth the money i got the U581 from e bay, the c class has the proper socket the u581 also works on my w210 which reqs a 38pin to obd adaptor.

This is not a bad machine i have used it on a new shape mini, bora, golf, mercs and always works, worth playing with to learn what it can do.

Depending on your miles it may be worth getting a new set of plug leads.

Mine had very slight misfire and 3 off the lead were duff out of 16, yours has 12.

Lynall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom