Fix For 124 Saggy Seats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124066

MB Enthusiast
Car
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
Some of you may know I’ve been looking for a new Driver’s seat for the 124 Cab for many years due to a sagging seat and a botched repair attempt. I bought a replacement seat set from a low mileage coupe and used the passenger front seat from that as my Driver’s seat – until that started sagging resulting in major headaches at the neck to skull area.

Piccie #3 shows the problem area, the springs marked blue sag (towards the door generally), the red part of the spring hasn’t sagged as much. This all results in the rear of the seat dropping far too low at the back and tilting toward to the door. Padding under this only lasts so long so it was time to put hand in pocket and buy some new parts. The good people at MB understand that some people are much heavier than others (God bless them) and offer a "Fat B4stard Heavy Duty option" for the seat base that largely does away with the coil springs and replaces them with a foam block incorporated into the hair pad that normally slips over the spring box. It requires a new type of spring box that only has three traverse springs. Second piccie shows the difference in thickness between the two pad designs.

I also bought a new backrest frame and pad, mainly because these fail in the lumbar support area and also twist toward the door - giving almost no lateral support. Be interested to know if the felt strip on the right of picture #1 should also be present on the left head-rest channel, anybody got a picture of this...??

Thought this may be of use for those who are sick and tired of saggy 124 seats. Haven’t fitted them all together yet, will update when I do, but for now sitting on the foam block feels really comfy, let’s hope it doesn’t make me sit higher in the car...

Last edited:
Any chance of part numbers please. Not as I'm a fat b'stard you understand its just trapped wind.

You need two parts; the cusion, A124 910 44 60 and the spring box A124 910 60 22.

But, make sure your seat cover will fit over the modified seat cushion, maybe get the Dealership to confirm beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom