• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

General Lifting

Smithy860

Car
W447 vito
Hey all
What combinations of axle stands and hydraulic jacks are you all using or recommending for your vitos?
Was thinking 2 x 2 ton axle stands and a 2 ton hydraulic jack.
Rarely would I lift the front or back axles at once but I want a jack that can do it comfortably.

When lifting our V class, I found that I needed a higher lift. The length of travel of the rear suspension was longer than the lift on my 2 ton one. At the top of the raise, the wheels where still on the floor.. the 2 ton lifted it okay but invested in a 3 ton with a higher lift..

I bought this jack a liittle while ago after struggling with the little ones.

I don't need the 3 tonne, but it's big, heavy and feels nice and solid. Should have bought it years ago.

When lifting our V class, I found that I needed a higher lift. The length of travel of the rear suspension was longer than the lift on my 2 ton one. At the top of the raise, the wheels where still on the floor.. the 2 ton lifted it okay but invested in a 3 ton with a higher lift..

Yes, been there, bought cheap a low profile jack to get under the 211, but didn't think about the lifting height. It would only lift enough to use the stands on the lowest height.
I know buy cheap, buy twice...

Fwiw I have a pair of ramps that I tend to use when working under my little Vito.
They are heavy little beasts, and already quite high, so many jacks & axle stands are going to struggle.
I have an old Epco 4t jack & some heavy duty axle stands that I occasionally use when working on one corner/wheel at at time.
I've just had a look, and don't seem to have any pic's of my van up on the car ramps. However I did come across of it (in the background when I removed my gearbox) my jack & stands are visible.
HthAxle stands.jpg

I also found the height issue! ended up using scissor jack to get that bit extra, not ideal.
I’ll look at that 3 tonne thank you,
Main thing I want is to easily and Safely lift it then drop it onto axle stands either on or near the jacking pads.

Probably a bit too far to "pop round & borrow my Epco" then.
Plenty of farmers around Driffield, & what you want "scale wise" is the sort of jack they tend to have......

Probably a bit too far to "pop round & borrow my Epco" then.
Plenty of farmers around Driffield, & what you want "scale wise" is the sort of jack they tend to have......
Yeah I bet they have some heavy duty gear, Thankyou anyway.
Can I ask, do you ever jack under the rear diff to lift the whole rear end at once?

Can I ask, do you ever jack under the rear diff to lift the whole rear end at once?
Yes I believe I have. However the ride height is already quite high, and the travel on the rear suspension is considerable, so a lot of jacks will only lift the bodyshell & leave the wheels still on the floor at full height.
When working one rear corner at a time, I put the jack below the spring under the wishbone.
Here's my preferred method. for general access.:
IMG_20240930_092025.jpg

However the ride height is already quite high, and the travel on the rear suspension is considerable, so a lot of jacks will only lift the bodyshell & leave the wheels still on the floor at full height.

I don't jack mine that often but because of that I've always used the standard jack that came with it rather than my trolley one. I have 2 tonne axle stands that have been fine ... I also have some 2.5 tonne ramps (with extensions) although I've not used them for the Vito so far.

There is a regularly contributed to thread on here that was started back in 2010. It makes for an appropriate read Smithy860.:

There is a regularly contributed to thread on here that was started back in 2010. It makes for an appropriate read Smithy860.:
Ah Thankyou for that I’ll head over as I’m still
A bit unsure of where best to put my axle stands when I replace my rear springs . The jacking points are great to lift with the jack but then where do I put my axle stands, was thinking the sill area nearby , making sure the contact points are bothe sides rather than on the actual sill .

It's not a Vito I have but a GM with a live rear axle and I don't and won't jack under the diff. Not since I became aware of the distortion that a diff case cam suffer when forced in a particular direction - eg when 'spread to facilitate bearing installation (see photo). The official GM manual recommends that lifting at the rear axle be accomplished using a 'spreader beam' which straddles the diff and contacts the axle at points mid-length to the axle tubes.
As I lack such a spreader beam, when I want the axle raised I raise it side by side with a bottle jack (my 2-tonne TJ toils) at the spring shackle then place the axle stands under the tubes as far outboard as possible.,

1727698030467.png

It's not a Vito I have but a GM with a live rear axle and I don't and won't jack under the diff. Not since I became aware of the distortion that a diff case cam suffer when forced in a particular direction - eg when 'spread to facilitate bearing installation (see photo). The official GM manual recommends that lifting at the rear axle be accomplished using a 'spreader beam' which straddles the diff and contacts the axle at points mid-length to the axle tubes.
As I lack such a spreader beam, when I want the axle raised I raise it side by side with a bottle jack (my 2-tonne TJ toils) at the spring shackle then place the axle stands under the tubes as far outboard as possible.,

View attachment 161902

View attachment 161902
Yes I can see exactly what you’re saying. Im going to stick to jack pads I think. I’ll get confident over time to jack in other areas I’m sure.
Just need to get the axle stand under the pad the safest way possible is my thinking.

Yes I can see exactly what you’re saying. Im going to stick to jack pads I think. I’ll get confident over time to jack in other areas I’m sure.
Just need to get the axle stand under the pad the safest way possible is my thinking.
The task you have in mind - similar to one on my to-do list (replacing spring U-bolts) - is rare for an axled set-up in having to be jacked at the body. Normally, getting the wheels clear of the ground is a cinch with an axle.

The task you have in mind - similar to one on my to-do list (replacing spring U-bolts) - is rare for an axled set-up in having to be jacked at the body. Normally, getting the wheels clear of the ground is a cinch with an axle.
Ah I see, so you mean that normally (but not in this case) lifting around the suspension area is preferred ?

Ah I see, so you mean that normally (but not in this case) lifting around the suspension area is preferred ?
By me, yes. Raising by only the height of tyre sidewall squish wins hands down for me.
I should point out that I'm only ever jacking to raise wheels from the ground. All other work I can do by dint of the vehicle having sufficient ground clearance to permit me to work underneath it without jacking.

On 639's I have replaced the jacking pads.
The originals are naff, and break tooo easily.

I don't jack the diff either.

200k miles and 639's being attention hungry it's in the air regularly. Usually 1 axle at a time.
I've 2x 3 tonne trolley jacks. An SGS that I don't favour. It's the 2nd due to the 1st breaking, and this one needs a repair also. It works, it's safe, but the handle comes out as I tow it.
The 1st one remained stuck in the air, so using t'other was fun to get it out.
T'other is a Sealey that I've more confident in.

I use both to lift, left then right, then .... and drop onto stands. Old ones, solid but no longer with any markings.

I chock the other axle as the drive has a gradient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom