Getting CD Track Names to show on Command....?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by jadefox, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jadefox

jadefox Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    Hi does anyone know how i would get my recorded Cd's to show track names on the command display? I know it can do it because just by chance the other day it showed a name of a song on a demo tape of a band that I had been given, it was just a recording of one of their songs which they had done themselves, so they must have named the tracks before they went onto the cd...but is there a program which would make them do this?

I have never been able to see the track names on any cd's on my unit, not even pre-recorded 'official' bought cd's.

Anyone know of a program which would do this for me?

Thanks!!

2. HughJarse

HughJarse Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c250
    You need to use a cd burning app that consults an online database to name each track with what song it is (this happens when copying whole cds), or if you're making mixes, it will use the file names or embedded ID3 tags of the tracks.
    Nero does this.

3. tudu

tudu Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
    Yep Nero is an option as is putting all your tracks on itunes you can select artist, genre etc before burning to disc. Try doing a google for free cd burners there are lots of options available just be careful as there are a number that have spyware attached to them.

4. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    See, i am currently using a cd burner program, and it all comes up with a track listing when I am burning it, then when I open the files from the CD's on my computer the names are there, but as soon as they go in the car, nothing - just track 1 etc...
    Hmmm, will have to look more into it I guess.

5. masqueraid

masqueraid Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 CDi & A170CDi
    This is the difference between ID3 Tagging and file names.
    Windows (and MAC OSX) use stuff called metadata to record info about track titles, artists, genres etc and this is used to display in media players.

COMAND ignores all that "fancy" stuff and relies on the file names of the tracks.

This works fine when you are working with MP3s because you can call each track whatever you like and there is even software that will take the ID3 tag metadata and rename your file
    Born to Run - Springfield.mp3
    When COMAND sees the file it puts Born to Run - Springfield in the Cluster and on the display.

Standard audio CD's though use a very different indexing system. When COMAND looks at the file names on the disk all it sees is Track01, Track02, etc. :(

6. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    Right, so.....if i record MP3's onto a normal CD that's where the problem starts? What kind of disc would i need to use in order for it to record in mp3 format with this file system?

Sorry if i am being completely dim here but i have no idea how this works!!

would something like this: http://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm enable me to record them onto a normal CD and it work?
    or this? http://tigotago.com/features.html

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  7. HughJarse

Car:
    c250
    I've already told you the answer.

Here try this
    You need to use a cd burning app that consults an online database to name each track with what song it is (this happens when copying whole cds), or if you're making mixes, it will use the file names or embedded ID3 tags of the tracks.
    Nero does this

8. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    Yes, and i already use one which does that, which is why I cannot understand why it's not copying them onto the CD like that. ?? I have I tunes which automatically looks for the album name/artist/genre etc...

9. masqueraid

Car:
    E220 CDi & A170CDi
    Try this - it's the long-winded manual version but it might help explain what you need to do to get the display names.

Create a new folder on your PC

Rip a few albums to MP3

Put them each in a separate sub-folder in the new folder and give them each the name of their respective album.

Rename each track in the folder as "song title.mp3" DON'T use ID3 tagging

When you have a few folders ready use your CD burning software to create a data CD (not an audio or music CD).

When the burning program asks for the data you want put on the CD copy across the folders with the album names (i.e. everything within the new folder and not the new folder itself).

Finalise the CD so that it will play in any CD player

Take it to the car ...

If this works then the next step is to automate it as much as possible so you put your original disk in the PC and get it to do all the renaming for you.

Edit - what I think is going wrong at the moment is the metadata stage - this is creating a separate index file on your PC that Windows is using to label all your tracks - when you take the CD to the car you leave the index file on the PC.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  10. HughJarse

Car:
    c250
    No you need the app that burns cd text ie Nero does it.
    Im not sure whether itunes does it or not.

(just re-read my last post - didn't mean to sound bitey ;) )

11. HughJarse

Car:
    c250
    Ok Ive just looked at Itunes and it says you have to tick the box...

heres a quote

"■CD players in some vehicles can display information stored on CDs; select Include CD Text to use this option."

and here is where it came from

To create an audio CD:
    Select the playlist containing the songs you want to burn to the CD, and make sure all the songs you want to include have a checkmark beside them.

Insert a blank disc and click Burn Disc (at the bottom of the iTunes window).

Select Audio CD as the Disc Format.

Choose your options:

■When you burn a CD, iTunes automatically adjusts the recording speed to the blank CD's rating. However, if your blank CD is rated for a slower speed than the maximum speed of your drive, or if you experience problems creating CDs, you may want to change the CD recording speed to match the CD's rating by choosing an option from the Preferred Speed pop-up menu.

■To change the length of the silence between songs, choose an option from the Gap Between Songs pop-up menu.

■To have all the songs on the CD play at the same volume, select Use Sound Check.

■CD players in some vehicles can display information stored on CDs; select Include CD Text to use this option.

Click OK.

12. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    Ok, cool will try the above and let you know if it works - and thanks for the help guys.
    :)

13. Crazyjester900

Crazyjester900 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C200 W202
    just burn it as an MP3 CD then the names will come up

:)

14. amwebby

amwebby Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500
    Just tried this. The option is greyed out, so I guess my CD burning drive doesn't support this option. Grrr

15. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    Thanks guys for all of your help!! I finally figured out how to do it via itunes - i didn't use itunes to burn in the past, but i will now that i have found out about that setting.

Cheers everyone!!

:D

Emma
    x

16. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    ok, one last question (promise!!) for those of you who do use itunes - how do you know how much space you have left on the disc? I have put 18 tracks into a playlist, but sometimes i can get 22 - 25 tracks on my discs - but it tells me the over all time of the 18 tracks, but am i meant to just work out how long I have left??or does it say somewhere?
    For example I have 700 MB 80 min discs - itunes is currently telling me i have 18 tracks which is 115.4 MB and 1.3 hours long...so does that mean i have plenty more space on the disc (because of the MB count) or I've gone over because of the min limit?? :confused:

17. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    That must be if you are burning MP3 discs instead of Audio CD?

18. masqueraid

Car:
    E220 CDi & A170CDi
    If you are burning data (MP3 files) your limit is the 700MB, if you are burning audio (traditional CD tracks) it's the 80 minutes.

19. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    Right, I have done one disc in the usual CD format - and one in the MP3 format to see if either (or with any luck both) ways work!

20. OP
    OP
    jadefox

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    Ok, so the answer is, the Comand can't read the MP3 format which is fair enough, but it does read the CD info off of the discs that I made via itunes! Woooo - problem solved!! :D

Thanks everyone!