GL 164 tyre choice

• Thread starter Deleted member 11979
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

Our GL 350cdi with 275 50 20 tyres was bought fitted with a brand new set of Marshall tyres.

Now they seem to be almost acceptable aside from a drone at 60 on certain road surfaces, but I’m thinking of swapping them as I have a strange thing about having premium tyres fitted to my cars.

We use the car for towing but not off-roading at all, I’d be interested in other people’s’ experiences / recommendations with different road biased tyres on ML and GL.

How many miles are people getting from a set?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
I run tyres homologated for Audi on both of our ML63 AMGs. Summer tyres are 295/35 21 Pirelli Pzero and winter tyres are 295/40 20 Continental TS830P.

Tyres homologated for Audi last twice as long as those homologated for Mercedes. I don’t have records handy but we get more than 25k miles out of a set.

giphy.gif

Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews

Hi, my 2006 GL came with Dunlop Sports maxx and I changed to Conti UHP. 275/50/20 and both makes were good and gave same sort of miles. The Conti tyres are more expensive at the moment so I wouldn't pay the extra to be honest. Oponeo have the Dunlops at £125 each which seems good value.

Tires are ridiculously expensive here in Arizona. I had Continental (275/50/20) fitted last time at a cost, from Discount tire, of a little over $1300. 15000 miles later I am ready to replace them. so, off to Discount tire, to find that a set of continentals are now a little over $1400.
I have just taken delivery of a set of Joyroad Grand Tourers at a cost of $480 from a [mail order co. in Rancho Cucamonga Cali. and I have a local garage that will mount and balance them for $100. The kind of driving I do (not high speed) and the fact that we have probably 3 or 4 days of rain a year (reviews dont give a good wet weather performance, but good dry weather) I think they will do ok.
We will see what the wear rate is, but at that price difference if I get 10000 miles out of them I'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom