Good product to bring up old red paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any update/photos yet Charles? I've now got the 3M stuff, tried a little by hand on the bonnet of my 968 with little noticable effect (it's already in good nick!) but as 3M recommend using it with a DA or rotary, I've also bought the appropriate 3M pad for my DA and will try it soon - when the boss allows me time off from her "honey do" list!

Still waiting for the Clearkote to arrive. I think a call to cleanyourcar is in order. Mind you, the vehicle will not be arriving til the end of the week/beginning of next - the vendor agreed to some work and sourcing parts is taking its time!

A side by side test today on my 190. Clearkote and good old Autoglym resin polish. Both applied by hand onto a clean surface with lots of tiny swirling (the spoiler which I have yet to machine). Photos are hard to pull off in this directional light, but I'd say the Clearkote certainly had the edge on the colour richness and cut the number of visible swirls by a decent margin on the Autoglym.

Both had a very good effect so for general use I'd say Autoglym for availability but for the red, definitely Clearkote machine glaze.

Haven't yet tried the 3M on the C220 (Carneol Red) as either too busy or weather too wet (car lives on driveway 'cos 968 owns the garage!).

Charles Morgan said:
A side by side test today on my 190. Clearkote and good old Autoglym resin polish. Both applied by hand onto a clean surface with lots of tiny swirling (the spoiler which I have yet to machine). Photos are hard to pull off in this directional light, but I'd say the Clearkote certainly had the edge on the colour richness and cut the number of visible swirls by a decent margin on the Autoglym. Both had a very good effect so for general use I'd say Autoglym for availability but for the red, definitely Clearkote machine glaze.

Charles. Is the clearkote ok to do by hand?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Yes Bruce - the bottle has instructions for doing it by hand, which is what I did, although for larger areas I would use my DA polisher.

In the shade the red is more pronounced on the clearkote too.

Last edited:
Thank you Charles. DA polishers and me do not mix well.

I will have a try with the clearkote though (by hand). Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

The Red car finally arrived, and taking a break from cleaning up W114 bits, I got the Clearkote out.

The car had been valeted before arriving (I wish dealers wouldn't) so it was clean, so I just dried off the area to see what it is like before:

paint1_zps1ebb027c.jpg

then just applying the Clearkote (no cleaning, claying, waxing, polishing or anythinging) the result:

paint2_zpsd5772f26.jpg

Pretty compelling result in the circs, saves a lot of miserable cold prepping outside at present.

Great result with the CKRMG. If you want to go any further I could help you out if you're not too far from Eversley in Hants.

That's very kind. I'm not too far away, it's the bitter weather at present that prevents me doing a proper detail. A little bit of touching up to do first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom