Help - Jump starting A Class from W208 CLK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi All,

This question has been round the houses a bit, having done a search and read up.

Other half's 2003 A Class' battery has gone dead. I have a 1999 CLK W208.

Is there any potential issue jump starting her car from mine?

Also, when jump starting - it's positive to positive and negative on working car to a metal engine point on non-working car - isn't it?

Thanks guys
R

Detailed PRECISE instructions [ including polarity and connection sequence]should be in your respective owners' handbooks ? I would guess the later A class is more liable to have the "more delicate" electronics?

Not sure about the A class but most modern MBs have a dedicated terminal under the bonnet for jump starting. Also make sure the "donor" car is NOT running at the time.

I've jump started an A class just like any other car athough the battery is under the drivers mat. Which can make it awkard to get to if the cars being parked and now flat.

No issues at all.

I had to call AA twice in the last few months to jump start my A160, the second time being during the "big freeze", overall - no major issues: the first time car was idle for over two weeks and AA chap didn't seem to know much about Mercedes jump starting - I was left with Engine Diagnostic Light on, had to buy one of those OBD2 readers and clear the fault. Second time went without any problem at all: the guy had a little handheld tablet type gadget, with detailed step-by-step instructions :bannana:

Have now a brand new Bosch S5 battery, supplied by ECP and installed by Olly :thumb: - so won't have to worry about it for a fair while I should think.

A class mercs are so "voltage" sensitive, espacially the automatic transmission ECU. the safest way to jump start A class is without the other engine running, or charging your battery first for a few minutes with ignition off then start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom